Posts by V8guitar

Thanks for that.

I am still wondering about the accuracy or not of the Kemper drive emulations/profiles. I am enjoying how they sound as I am not a player who likes the full throated roar of full on amp overdrive. I am more Robben Ford and Larry Carlton soundwise, although sadly not playing wise.

Yes and no and does it matter?

I'll explain....

The settings have been based upon hardware versions of the Klon and Bluesbreaker, but there are many other variables that effect how these types of devices work. So under the same set up, they should sound very close.

Does it matter? If it sounds good, does it matter if they are accurate? Unless you want to directly replace one, its less important.

This came up - been after a Gibbo to replace my Epiphone for the Cult tribute ( hence the Mike Ronson look). I was concerned it was a fake as it was cheap but seems like a genuine 70's Les Paul. Used it in anger on Saturday and seems pretty good.

I've never been a Les Paul fan (even though I now have 4), so it was a tough decision to take the plunge.

Apparently its a Chainsaw case - I'd never heard of them but people are telling me they are also rare/good?? Feels flimsy to me but hey...

Devin is on another level . :) (Anyway he has several contributions with Anneke, who sings in the video above.)

I met his name in Steve Vai’s band. He sang on Steve’s ‘Sex & Religion’ album. I first saw the video clips: "Who is this crazy dude in the 'In My Dreams With You' video?" - I asked. The ‘Down Deep into the Pain’ video was even crazier. I already knew Steve’s music back then, so I got the record mentioned above and wasn’t disappointed. 3-4 years later Devin started his solo career and it soon turned out that the dude was a genius. It was completely different from the others. Meanwhile Devin’s band called ‘Strapping Young Lad’ (harder metal) has also started which no longer exists today but Devin has been a prolific composer ever since.

Yeah I was aware of him on Sex and religion and knew he was crazy but not really listened to strapping or his solo work. Great stuff, hence why I love this thread!!

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

This is fab! love it....not heard much Devin Townsend, I was dreading some screechy singing but just ace!

Brilliant. If you play much live start saving for the remote as its brilliant. If you mainly play at home, then its less important.

Brillant.

My suggestion is to keep it simple to start with. The front layout has a lot of similarity with a regular amp, took me a couple of weeks to realise the effects on the left are pre amp, the amp controls in the middle and effects post on the right.

I would also suggest not to over tweak. Find a profile you like and make minor changes. If its not working, try another profile.

Stating the obvious......why record dry? Its because it gives you ultimate flexibility at mixing stage. Same goes with any effects such as reverb.

depends on the "level" of recording. If its just for demos then re-amping might be overkill but for the best results re-amping lets you sort post recording.

The search for "that" sound is always a challenge.

90% of the sound comes from the fingers anyway...but that's not helpful.

The only thing I can suggest is to look at the type of amps used for that sound and narrow your search. The guitar/pickups will play a big factor in that long sustain - not a typical strat sound so are they active or stacked humbuckers? Sustain is the key here without too much gain..

I'm thinking that most people have more sensitivity in the right foot.
    thinking about car driving from left to right
    clutch pedal - brake pedal - accelerator pedal

It does still depend I think.

I have mine the same as you - volume on left, Wah right and far right pitch ( which I don't use anymore). Volume on the left is fine for me as I don;t use it for morph and very rarely for backing off volume. I find it easier than trying to hit the tuner switch so I tend to use it as an on/off. If I used it more, I'd have it on the right as I'm right handed.

DonPetersen I've never fully understood the logic of clean/Distorted sense. I know what is does but not understood the need as opposed to a signle input level control?

Is it based around the profiling process and being able to then balance profiles or something else? Not an issue, just curious...

Yep know about that one ... i'll try that as well, is that intended pure for leads or overall sound ?

Raf

Ohh I don't....I'll try that!

live I use a different slot for lead. Previously it was even a different profile, but now I'm tending to use the same profile with a bit more gain, volume, treble and delay...

I agree that IOS population is definitely skewed for pro/semi pro musicians.

I also agree that running RM wirelessly is not a big deal hence one reason there are only 35 posts.

My only point is that do not totally dilute the population of KPA users into dedicated musicians. I think ( I have no stats) that many if not the majority of users are hobby players like me. Of those hobby players, 70% have Android phones.

So whilst have RM only on IOS is no biggy...if there is much more done on wireless devices then the problem will increase.

Whether that is enough for Kemper to include Android is up to them....is the juice worth the squeeze :)

V8guitar>>> Is that phone only? I highly doubt that the real number is 72%. That seems way to large a number. And are these numbers really valid?

I was surprised but of course it will be phone.

My point is as a platform for mobile devices, regardless of the actual percentage, its still significant. For tablets( which is purely for RM) then this is less relevent.

My only pojnt is if more is planned, then it should be reconsidered.

I currently control my IEM mix for our soundcraft mixer via my android phone.

I have no use for RM on my phone. But then again most people are brand platform loyal, so I also only have an Android tablet.

Okay….I cannot find any valid numbers regarding Android OS vs Apple IOS. But I found numbers from 40% - 54% of the market belonging to Android. Put in the equation that Windows also has a slight part of the market and all the other OS’s out there like in Huawei. Then the market share is at least be close to 50% in Android’s favor if only focusing on Apple and Android. So yes….it’s flipping the middle finger to 50% if the consumers. Unless you somehow found out that only Apple people (like myself) buy your stuff. I hardly believe that to be true. But in that case you might be right regarding the sensible thing to do is just to do Apple.

Because people don’t respond to a topic is not the same thing as what the market shares of Android vs Apple is like. Tons of variables can be put into the equation.

What system is placed in most phones and tablets right now? Are you willing to confirm that pretty much around 50% of all mobile devices are born with Android? And if you can, then how come you don’t see it as weird when half of the population uses Android?

https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/mobile/worldwide