Posts by V8guitar

Man, thank you for that.

And I totally agree with what you say about Christophe. His composure over some of the stuff said about the Kemper by actual industry competition.... admiral.

At the end of the day.... okay... I was born in 1984 ..... so I would've been 6 years old.... but at the end of the day.... could anyone 30 years ago expect the absolute embarrassment of riches that we as guitarists have at our disposal now??? It's astonishing. Piano players don't even have it this good!!

Just to add, don't stop giving your feedback on your experience. I think we are all genuinely interested in the comparison.

I do twitch when people try to explain the difference through tech when we don;t actually know how the processing really works. I definitely subscribe to "New is not always better" not to protect my investment but I have a natural scepticism to any new "magic".

I only really care about sound and so these are the areas of what you have said are really interesting.

I think its also stimulated the debate between easy of capture/profile vs accuracy. I got the impression from CK comments that some level of auto refine is possible but is it desirable. That depends on results of course - your experience suggests that even the end results are better.

despite some niggles, I think its all healthy in the development of the KPA moving forward...

Well, after profiling, I am finding the Kemper to sound just as good if not better than the boat anchor tube monsters I have held onto so favorably till now.

Plus, with all the access to effects and programming, I now have a win-win!:thumbup:

Excellent news. This is the real power of the KPA.

I would recommend profiling different settings as the KPA will not fully replicate the behaviour of an amp, its a snapshot. For example, if you choose a different channel, it will have a different sound than just changing the gain. This is not bad as you have so many parameters to change ( including more flex than the original amp) but not the same.

Hope that makes sense!

You are joking, surely?

1) I'm sure you did your research into Kabinets before buying - its no one else's fault if you didn't.

2) Why would you mic a cab when you have a KPA. The whole point is to go direct

3) Its been created because people complained they did not get the "amp int he room sound" from FRFR and guitar cabs colour the sound too much. So its to solve that problem. Kemper have been very clear on why its not "ideal" to mike it.

Yes. But the question why this squealing not present with my tube amp?

Even at loud volume, I have feedback, it's normal, but not squealing

No idea and all we can do is speculate.

As previously said the KPA/profile is probably picking up a frequency that isn't at the forefront with your tube amp. Any changes to the signal chain could cause it.

So, best course of action is to start ruling things out. This is NOT normal.

If you add a tube poweramp, sort of defeats the object for me. Adds more colour and the unpredictability aspect blah blah. Also adds to the transporting impact etc.

I run a Powerhead and Kabinet and very happy with that. If you are gigging I'd defo say Powerhead for ease. The other advantage is at festivals I can just plug into any cab, albeit I don't get the benefit of the Kabinet but I have the flexibility.

Soem thing odd here if just importing profiles via USb chnaged the sound on all profiles.

So some basic question first before you start equ'ing:

1) So you profiles sounds good prior to the USB import?

2) Was it just importing profiles or updating to a new version? Why are you importing profiles via USB? Just bringing in profiles won;t change the sound, but updating "might" as I've found sometimes it changes filter settings

3) Do you have a backup prior importing to go back to the previous "settings"?

Now that is funny but so true..

Places like Sweetwater in the states or Anderson’s or Thomann should. Almost no chance the local Guitar Center will.

But…..you can always do your research, order and return if you don’t like it.

...and you can't really tell in a music shop anyway, so better to do this.

sorry for the delay..

I will be honest for me …it is not… I also have an atomic CLR… and the the CLR is much louder…

Which I expected…

I returned the the cab back to Kemper

The powered kabinet is 200w.

The unpowered Kabinet is rated at 200W, so even though I run my powered rack rated at 600w, Im not going over 200w, so broad equivalent power available.

I have gigged my Kabinet about 4 or 5 tiomnes so far and maybe 15 times at rehearsal ( which arguably required more power as I ddon;t use the pa for the guitar).

It has plenty of power - I play metal and the drummer is very loud. No issue with volume even though I don;t think I have my "cut" fully dialed in.

Not true. I never said that new technology always results in better results. I said that if it does, it shouldn't come as a shock or a surprise given the maturation of the underlying mathematical frameworks that these profiling/capturing technologies use.

If the QC sounded not as good to me, then I would say so. I have no allegiances or brand loyalty. I'm not a hyped up Youtuber, I'm not a gun-for-hire, and I'm not a partisan. These things are just tools to me.

I think the point here is your assumptions on why something sounds better.

I nearly responded to the "machine learning and AI has advanced over the years...", point you made but realising that this is from the QC website but held off, but this similar.

I struggle to see the connection between machine learning ....machine learning and AI as I understand it are about taking constant information and adapting the processing. Not sure how that relates to a capture unless you make 100's of captures and then some changes, and the machine learns to modify based on those inputs.......but.....and this is my point.....I am no expert and actually have no real understanding of how these things are coded, despite quite a reasonable background in software development.

In reality I don't care if its new, old, cutting edge tech its the results that count. I'm really happy you are pleased with the QC sound and continue to be curious on the differences you are finding.

The speculation on "why" is really for the Kemper team.

For those who own both the KPA and a Quad, is this possible? This might be a cool experiment. Make a kemper profile of a Quad preset. But do so of a Quad preset that is just a parallel blend of TWO captured amps and cabs (turning off any unprofileable effects of course) So the resulting Kemper Studio profile would be a blend of the two captures, now functioning as a single studio profile in the Kemper. Would it work, and would it sound decent?

I put a feature request of something like this. I believe studio profiles can be made that are a parallel blend of two amps; tone junkie has a pack that has some blended profiles, if I understand what's going on in their description. Perhaps not the kPA hardware itself alone. But couldn't some software be utilized (maybe integrated into Rig Manger itself) that could take two profiles and blend them into one new profile? Once done, you of course still have the original profiles but now have a third profile that's a blend of the two, which itself can be imported onto the physical KPA and used like any other Studio Profile.

An honest question, for those of you with the Quad. Are you finding combinations of two amps and cabs at once, in parallel, say panned left and right, that you find are Better Sounding than using and tweaking any single Capture by itself? And if so, is the perceived benefit really the two amps and cabs being panned or just how you have the post amp stereo effects that deserves the credit?

My assumption is it would work in the same way as profiling 2 amps at the same time.

Not much point blending profiles ( offline) because you won;t be able to hear it or adjust the relative blend once in the KPA because the KPA can only run one profile

I don't get this obsession with blending amps..this is all possible ( albeit workflow has a slight overhead) for studio either through recording separate tracks or copy and pasting a dry track and reamping.

Live - why would you want to pan one amp stage left and one amp stage right?

just because you can doesn't mean you should...

In retrospective, I played with almost no FOH for 5 or 6 years, and I always had an issue with people telling me they did not hear my solos, even when I was blasting a twin. It is pretty difficult if everybody just play directly and not through a PA. The trick is to balance all around the drums and the room/venue.

I guess the only thing going to the PA are the voices. If that is the case, it is not your fault to sound bad in a band context, it is almost impossible to sound coherent on a totally live context, but the tricks before mentioned apply, just add to the steps first getting volume right. Drums should balance the capacity of your PA vocals, (sometimes we guitar players are the ones to tell the drummer to lower the intensity two notches so the vocalist can be heard properly, a bad and frequent discussion) and from there, you and the bass adjust levels and EQ.

Problem is, that all changes as soon as people walk in...they absorb various frequencies, hence I never gig without going through the PA. As a result you always have to blast the backline out as bass frequencies carry better etc.

I would do this even with an acoustic duo.

I have about $100.00 in paid profiles by what I consider to be the top 3 profile merchants. That being said, I could easily find enough rigs in free rig packs and ones included in the KPA to do anything I wanted. I don't regret buying all those profiles I'll likely use 5% of as it was a learning experience that cost about as much as a pedal. Last night I was messing with the stuff in the Legends pack that I initially kind of waved over and was having an absolute blast.

Played teen spirit with the Kurt Cob and kicked in the DS for the heavy parts, Jimmy page one was great also, as well as one of my favorite profiles ever that led me to the Bert stuff, TD's tweek on Bert's BE100 (EVH). The Carlos was excellent too I couldn't stop playing lead with it. It worked pretty good for classic rock as well and had a bit of give & fatness that made it fun to play. The Mark Nof was cool. I was playing MFN with it and it was closer than anything I have tried in the past for that song. Adjusting that fixed wah a tad, I could play certain Boston leads as well (Don't be afraid) on my goldtop that were perfect. The SRV was very nice and a keeper. In the Kemper the /13 by , & the JJ30 match by MB are great for low/mid gain stuff. FX and pedals give them huge versatility. I've gigged with less than what just those two profiles could provide!

14 of the legend pack profiles are tweeked from Bert's and that's how I was thankfully lead to his stuff. Most likely TD used them recognizing the goodness of them as well. I could take a few of his from the legends, with the /13 & JJ30 matchless and have a better live sound than anything I ever had I'm thinking. You can fire up a Kemper and have instant satisfaction and great sound, but for me it has been entertaining learning how to get the most from it and what I like the best. There are so many choices, it's difficult for "grass is greener" people like me to decide on all of them. One thing for sure is it keeps me from buying amps. When I think "Oh I'd like to have that cool tweed Blues Jr." or something, I stop myself and go Why? I can dial that tone in on my Kemper , have effects and superior options, light weight and all in one sensibility.

The biggest problem I think you've summerised here....I've forgotten what sounds are actually me! I love most of these sounds but they have their place. Most of the EVH profiles are great for EVH stuff but I feel like a cheat if I use it for other things :)..

The problems we face as a modern guitarist :)

In my opinion, and many will disagree I am sure...these "top sellers" took advantage of an opportunity to make some money. Basically selling profiles that in most cases are no better then ones found in the Exchange, or created by yourself.

There is no doubt that they are businesses but in their defence, most offer demos and also they follow a particular pattern so you at least get consistency.

I still believe that most commercial profiles are very cheap considering the cost of the amps involved. I also agree there are some great profiles on the exchange ( as profiling is still a relatively easy process) and buying them doesn't guarantee you'll like them.

Ahh I see...so you are using back line as front line as well.

I know its not always practical but I would always try to go through the PA for bass, guitars and drums for sound balance.

I have not played a gig in 10+ years without going through the PA because people in front of you get blasted and people at the back can only hear bass and no guitar. This includes very small gigs and we have no sound engineer, do it ourselves.

Not sure I understood but are you saying you don;t put guitars through the PA?

Just my view but....backline should always be just that, for your own monitoring. Guitar needs to go through the PA. Pre KPA that would be by mic'ing, now you have a KPA its dead easy.

Also if you run IEM's then do you only have vocals? sorry Im a bit confused.