Posts by PB26

I am not yet at the pc but I will be tonight

should I use another DAW?

pro tools went to Shyte since avid bought digidesign so I started using presonus studio 1 but I'm open to whatever is best for quad core i7 x64 win 7 and win 8

No expert here obviously, but from the research I did, Reaper seems capable of extremely high quality recordings if you know how to use all the built in editing features. What are you recording for? Is it just for fun? If so, it's got what you need for sure, and it's inexpensive and easy to set up. Even if you have bigger things in mind it's probably got everything you could need. I don't use 99% of what it's capable of -- I just record, trim off the ends and click save.

The Steinberg interface I used to use (it sucked) and the Focusrite I'm now using came with super fancy Ableton software and I can tell you there is no way I'm finding my way around that software ever. Way too much going on. I mean, you need to go to night school to figure that stuff out.

Pretty sure if you sprung the $60 or so for Reaper you'll have everything you need.

Here is another trick that works well with SGs and Les Pauls for fast volume changes:

Put the pickup selector in the middle position.
    Turn the Bridge pickup all the way up.
    Turn down the neck pickup volume control until the volume drops to a rhythm level (it will typically be almost off).

Your pickup selector is now a Rhythm/Lead switch :)

Now that is clever! Very cool. Gotta give that a whirl. :thumbup:

Since you are a Classic Rock fan, you may want to do it the old school way. Using the volume knobs on the guitar is the way to do that. Set the Gain for a solo tone with the guitar wide open, and turn it down for chords.

That is old school! My only issue is some of the transitions don't give me time to mess around with the guitar volume knob, so it would be nice to do it via pedal.

Thanks guys. Basically I just want to be able to up the volume just for the solo, then go back to the original level, without having obviously to stop and turn the knob manually.

Looking to add a volume pedal to my setup. I play alone with backing tracks and solos just aren't cutting through enough.

The CLR seems to be the speaker of choice among Kemper users; is there a volume pedal the toaster gets along with especially well, or will pretty much any one do? Last time I got a pedal recommendation on this forum it turned out very well (Sonic Research Turbo Tuner), so let's give it another go!

Looking to add a volume pedal to my setup. I play alone with backing tracks and solos just aren't cutting through enough.

The CLR seems to be the speaker of choice among Kemper users; is there a volume pedal the toaster gets along with especially well, or will pretty much any one do?

EDIT: Sorry, wrong forum. I'll repost in Other Gear.

yes you are totally right brother you said it

ok I'm gonna try to do that as well, don't laugh but the concept of reamping is hard to "get" but I see it makes sense from the video But I think it's cuz I'm new to digital modeling and guitar processing as direct recording

Thank you as well

I just posted some clips of some quick recordings. This is straight from the Kemper to the Focusrite to Reaper. No fiddling with the recorded track afterwards (I have no idea how to do any of that stuff). They were all done with S/PDIF and with the Master Volume at 7.0. The rig volume is whatever the person who made the profile set it at (I think in each case that's 12 o'clock). I know these are all amateur hour recordings but considering I didn't do any processing I think they sound half decent.

https://soundcloud.com/pb26

No worries. And you're not alone on reamping. I couldn't make heads or tails of it, though eventually I'll piece it together. I am getting some really crisp and booming recordings from sending the whole guitar signal into the DAW, so I don't really see any immediate need for reamping.

You're able to play the KPA out of the CLR no problem, right? It's just recording with an interface that's giving you headaches, correct?

I haven't used your interface or DAW, but all I had to do was have one S/PDIF cable from the Kemper S/PDIF OUT to the interface S/PDIF IN.

After you hit the Kemper's Output button, on the right of the screen you'll see "SPDIF Output". Default is "Master Stereo." Unless you are doing some fancy reamping, just leave that as it is.

At this point, go into your interface's software, if any, and basically look around for anything you can set to S/PDIF. In my Focusrite MixControl software it's "Sync Source," which I set to S/PDIF.

At this point, go into your DAW and find "Options" or "Preferences" or whatever they call it in your case, and set your inputs to S/PDIF.

With your CLR hooked up to the Kemper's Main Outs you should be able to listen and record.

This is for recording the full rig you hear when playing normally. If you want to get the dry guitar signal, you'll need to follow those two reamping videos I posted in that other thread.

Some personal experiences with XLR vs. S/PDIF (some of which may be a result of my newbie status):

-S/PDIF seems to have a beefier bottom end, whereas XLR seems more even from high to low

-S/PDIF is easier to work with because volume is not an issue -- you can blast away and clipping never occurs, which is convenient; XLR on the other hand has a specific threshold and takes more time and trial and error to get right.

-S/PDIF cable stays put whereas XLR requires unplugging/plugging from other units every time I want to record

-XLR, at least for the moment, is easier when it comes to recording the full guitar signal plus backing track. No adjustments to the interface are needed; whereas with S/PDIF, it only detects and sends the guitar signal to DAW. If in fact it's possible to record guitar + backing track via S/PDIF, there is some additional set-up step that needs to be taken and it isn't obvious what that is. A non-issue with XLR.

I'm having trouble with XLR and Spdif

its so confoundedly frustrating idk how to record anything in my DAW

Not sure how much you've done stuff like this, but for me, I relied on YouTube instructional videos for Audacity and Reaper a few months ago. Would have had zero chance otherwise. Surely someone has done one for your DAW -- it's worth sitting through.

This. Basically, choose the most practical tool :)

I just did a recording playing along with the live version of Iron Man from 2005 off YouTube, in C# tuning running though Reaper/XLR, and it sounds great. I think even if I finally managed to get the backing track working through Reaper/SPDIF, I still wouldn't be able to discern the minute difference from XLR.

Interesting what you say as I think the "extra clarity" is probably what I think is why I like the Kemper D/A a slight bit better and the "warmer/softer" sound I prefer.

But either way - different D/A's are expected to produce very slightly different audio experiences - otherwise there wouldn't be a range of about $10-$1,000+ for what you *could* spend on one!

And I was just using one rig -- a Mesa Dual Rectifier. Wouldn't surprise me if my ear told me otherwise with a different profile. And truth be told, I really have to sit there and listen hard and replay them to catch (what I perceive to be) a difference.

Well, record both and normalize the level... and judge what Don has suggested :)

Well, I've been recording the same riff at the same level and now I think the edge actually goes to s/pdif. It just has a slight bit more clarity and depth around the edges. I'm tuned down to C# and it sounds just a little heavier in s/pdif.

My problem now is that I can't get the backing track that flows through the Kemper to register in Reaper with s/pdif!

Reaper with XLR: can record guitar + backing track
    Reaper with S/PDIF: only guitar creates waveform in Reaper
    Audacity with XLR: guitar and backing track okay
    Audacity with S/PDIF: Nothing.

Well, I have s/pdif issues too.

But first, the Focusrite 6i6 is awesome: I can record easily with XLR, which my Steinberg UR22 could not do -- Kemper was way too hot for it and needed TRS. Recordings on the 6i6 are excellent out of the box, much better than the best I got from the Steinberg.

But I'd like to try s/pdif. Currently, I have one s/pdif cable going from Kemper OUT to Focusrite IN. Just looking to record the full rig, no reamping. Now, if I still need 2 s/pdif cables to do this, then I made (another) rookie mistake and I need another cable. However, Audacity recognizes the 6i6 with just the one s/pdif cable plugged in. So I wonder if some kind of setting problem is behind the fact that it's not picking up my guitar signal with a waveform.

Figured it out. Went into Reaper and in the device set-up section all I had to do was select S/PDIF:

Well, I have s/pdif issues too.

But first, the Focusrite 6i6 is awesome: I can record easily with XLR, which my Steinberg UR22 could not do -- Kemper was way too hot for it and needed TRS. Recordings on the 6i6 are excellent out of the box, much better than the best I got from the Steinberg.

But I'd like to try s/pdif. Currently, I have one s/pdif cable going from Kemper OUT to Focusrite IN. Just looking to record the full rig, no reamping. Now, if I still need 2 s/pdif cables to do this, then I made (another) rookie mistake and I need another cable. However, Audacity recognizes the 6i6 with just the one s/pdif cable plugged in. So I wonder if some kind of setting problem is behind the fact that it's not picking up my guitar signal with a waveform.