Posts by PB26

Thx, yes it's a powerhouse so it handles everything but I should refer to instruction manual

If it's reamping you want to do there are some good video tutorials. Too complicated for me but they may do the trick for you if reamping is what you're after:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Mute the volume on your speakers/headphones:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I'll be doing the less ambitious set-up where the full wet signal goes through to the interface. I'll see how it goes and if that's what you want maybe I'll have something useful to add later tonight.

I'm also now having issue with my spdif since new kpa arrived

im on win 8, 6gb ram, i7 quad 3ghz, 128gb SSD, 500gb hhd, studio one 2 and using mbox 2

I'll have a s/pdif equipped Focusrite 6i6 tomorrow and will see how I make out and report back. I'm using WIndows 7 but maybe it'll help you. Your computer's specs look good as far as I can tell.

I was just at my local music shop and I played around with a bunch of Orange and Mesa Boogie heads. Yes, they are nice, but in my opinion not better than the Kemper's tones. I wasn't sitting there thinking I'm missing some mystical tube amp experience by not having one. If I truly wanted one I would buy one on the spot. And if anything the Kemper is better because you're getting the sound of a driven amp at any volume or even with headphones, whereas with a tube amp you really need to blast it to get a nice dirt tone. Not to mention 1 amp vs. 6,251 according to my Rig Manager!

I still have a wait ahead of me before my CLR gets here, but a question:

To connect the Main Output of the Kemper with XLR, do you:

1. Use just one Kemper XLR port, into one CLR XLR port; or
    2. Use a "Y" XLR cable with 2 female on one end for the Kemper, and one male on the other end for the CLR; or
    3. Two separate XLR cables -- one in each Kemper port, one in each CLR port

This is assuming one guitar with a backing track flowing from computer into the Kemper via the Alternative input.

This forum is the best. I'm learning much faster than I would otherwise thanks to all the help you guys are giving me.

:thumbup:

Sure :)

But you'll add a lot of variables to the sonic equation, while keeping the chain as linear as possible (as you did by buying the CLR) you'll know that you have to tweak the profile, or choose another one.
    With a mic, its placement, its preamp, the room... you'll have many other things changing your sound, and you'll never be sure what is making which difference.
    Just a thought :)

Makes sense. I guess if my goal is to preserve the tone of the profile as much as possible, then recording with a mic, with all the issues that come with placement and room features, basically ruins what I'm trying to accomplish in the first place. I think the Kemper straight into a Focusrite is the way to go. I think you just saved me from wasting 6 hours or so!

Well, "better" is certainly subjective, but you'll get a "different" sound for sure (farer from the original profile I mean).
    What about using the Profiler's analog output or - again - the CLR's Link to the soundcard?

I think what I'll do is spend a day giving each method a fair shot. One riff and one profile on each recording method. I guess it's the only way to truly determine which one gets the results I'm looking for.

Nothing about the cab, but what would the purpose be, since you can hit your soundcard with the Profiler itself?
    You might also achieve this by using the CLR's Link output.

:)

I was thinking of trying an SM57 with the X2U attachment for direct USB to the computer, and seeing if I get a better recording with that vs. a Focusrite 6i6 with S/PDIF direct to the Kemper. I know I'll get in trouble for this but I saw a video on YouTube of a guy who got some nice recordings out of an Engl and the SM57-X2U combo.

Honestly, it didn't matter what I tried, I couldn't get the same feel, and the sustain just wasn't as good. Always felt like there was something missing. Problem solved now.

I have the 6i6, and bought it because of the SPDIF I/O.

I can hear there is a noticeable difference between SPDIF and line signal. SPDIF sounds more crisp and has a clearer top end, where as the line signal sounds warmer. Also, with SPDIF I don't need to worry about the signal level into the DAW, I leave it at 0db and it never clips, no matter how hard I pick. I set the SPDIF output to DI and Stack, and record both tracks at 44.1kHz in Logic.

I leave the line and XLR outputs for live use only.

Awesome, can't wait to get my hands on one of those 6i6's.

Every time I turn my toaster on I am amazed by something new. But never more than 30 minutes ago. To wit:

I play a lot of Sabbath tunes and that means a separate guitar tuned down to C# standard, which presents all kinds of tension and tuning stability issues. Even with 12-gauge strings I still don't get the tension I have with 9-46 in Standard tuning, and the thick strings are uncomfortable to play. "If only I could have the string gauge and tension of my standard tune guitar but in C#" I say to myself every day.

Well, I just discovered the Transpose effect and with the turn of a knob I get 3 semitones down for Snowblind, then back up to D# Standard for Headless Cross, and then back down again for Into the Void. And it actually sounds better than my dedicated C# guitar because I get a fuller tone and more sustain because the tension is just right. I've never cared for the pedals that try to accomplish this, hence the C# only guitar. No surprise that the folks at Kemper were able to get it right.

What a great time to be a guitarist! :thumbup:

Your sound card setup interface should offer you several clock options, SPDIF being one of them.

Kemper SPIDF out offers some cool options, and also demands certain compromises. Conventional wisdom says it's the way to go, saving a round of A/D conversion and it's what I've been doing in my home studio. But for the past couple months I've been working on an album project with a composer who has been recording me via the KPA's XLR outs stereo direct at 48k, and it has me rethinking my process. The results, from a purely audiophile perspective, are stunning.

Curious, what device are you plugging the XLRs into, and from there is it into the computer?

To set it up so that the full processed signal comes out of the Kemper, is it just one cable -- Kemper s/pdif out to interface s/pdif in?

Then for the Kemper setting in the "Output" section, is it just "Master Stereo"? EDIT: This question already answered by chamelious, above!

Finally, I've read stuff about the "clock" and "master" and "slave." No clue what this is. Is it a setting done on the Kemper or the interface? .

I've been trying to read up as much as possible on different ways of recording the lovely tones from my toaster, and I keep seeing people talking about s/pdif. Is this just for reamping (which I don't want to do) or is it possible to record the full rig by just hooking up the Kemper s/pdif out to the s/pdif input on the interface? Are there any advantages?

I plan on picking up a new interface in the $250-$300 range with some store credit I haven't used up, and I wonder if I should consider the absence of a s/pdif outlet as a deal-breaker.

This upgrade solved the minor crackling sound I was getting after loading some rigs. Was no big deal but the upgrade is a nice touch.

:thumbup: