Posts by Allenhuish

Hi there,

I would like to start a thread that is limited to *only* what hardware has been found to work or should work to allow wireless to be added to our legacy devices.

I did a video with an explanation...

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

If you don't want to read the whole thread here are some devices that work:

Vogels/Vonet wifi access point Amazon UK - https://amzn.to/3dmKNFU

Amazon US - https://amzn.to/36aq04t

TP-Link Switch with Power

Amazon UK - https://amzn.to/36aqpnv

Amazon US - https://amzn.to/3h1QuLI

Power adapter to use one cable for kemper and router

Amazon UK - https://amzn.to/3qsyTj4

The manual is not 100% clear so I will try to summarise my findings so far and what I have seen on this forum. I will also attempt to make it as simple as possible for those of us who are not that technically minded.

The Kemper needs to be connected to a device called a 'router' which is wifi enabled. This wifi router also needs to be able to function as an 'access point' if you want to run it stand-alone (at a gig) without another network (e.g. your home wifi network). As the manual says, this router needs to be connected via the ethernet socket on the back of the kemper. (easily bought on amazon, but see below)

The remote also needs to be connected to that socket so you have to connect the wire from the remote to a socket on the router. However, (and this is important), the remote needs to be powered. It receives its power from the kemper through the ethernet socket normally so you have to find a way to add power to the cable that goes to the remote. This can be done via a POE (power over ethernet) injector (easily bought on amazon).

So, if you do it like this you will have 2 boxes (one router and one poe injector) which both need a power supply plugged in somewhere. You will then need a short cable to go from kemper to router, then another cable from router to poe injector and then a long cable from poe injector to the remote.

If you are like me then you will want to reduce the number of cables and power supplies that you have to lug around and this is where it gets interesting.

There are such things as routers that are powered by POE, so that has the potential to lose one power supply (because the router doesn't need a power supply if it's powered from the kemper from the ethernet cable). Many of these routers are designed for home networking where things are wired into small spaces so they are probably small enough to go in the back of the kemper.

There are also routers which will do POE 'pass through'. In other words it will take the power coming in from the kemper and then pass it on to the cable going out to the remote. The first issue is that the router needs 2 ethernet sockets. Many small wifi routers powered by POE do not, but a small number do.

However, then we get into the issues of how much power and how is it delivered. In this case, there are multiple standards of how this is done (802.3af, etc.) and I have not seen confirmation from kemper on what standard we need to follow (it says 'mode a' in the manual, but this is not quite enough information I believe). Supported are IEEE standard 802.3af-2003 as well as 802.3at-2009 mode A. There is also a lack of documentation from router companies about the detail of what they need coming and out of their power supplies.

In a perfect world, we could find a device which will be powered over POE and will pass-through POE to the remote. If this was the case, then legacy owners could buy one box, with no power supply and tuck it into the back of the kemper and have it all in one with no additional power supplies etc.

So coming back to the point of this thread. Please post the products (preferably with a web link) that you have found that we can try or research to be able to achieve this goal. I will shortly add some that I have found. Please don't clutter up the thread with comments such as 'I'm confused' or 'why not android' etc. those comments can go in plenty of other threads.

Yes, I also find this a bit weird and frustrating. They must have had a plan, but to tease things one day after another for a week or so and then go totally quiet doesn't look like a 'strategy'. If it isn't a mistake then it's an error of judgement.

The other thing is that they could have shown a working prototype, but they showed something that looked totally complete. Whether or not it was only just a wireframe with no code behind it, it gave the impression that it was at least 99% complete.

I wouldn't mind a 12 month teaser campaign (I would, but for the sake of argument let's say it), but don't start in the first week by showing the whole thing.

And it is true that apple can take a long time to approve these things - but if we know that and we are not in the business then they must know that. And therefore it should have factored into their plans.

Actually there are wifi routers that can be powered by PoE

e.g.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015PRO512/?

or

(this is tiny)

https://mikrotik.com/product/RBmAPL-2nD#fndtn-downloads

The first one is more interesting because it has a second ethernet port on it so may allow plugging the remote into it.

Having said all of that I have a slight suspicion that the ethernet port on the back of the kemper will not supply sufficient power.

I would also point out that there is an old thread here which says that there is not enough power on the kemper usb port to charge a mobile phone. I would take this to indicate that it may also have insufficient power to power a small router - although no idea of the relative power needs of these devices.

...and with a bit more googling I have found this one that can be powered over ethernet, is a wireless access point and will send power over ethernet to the second port.

https://mikrotik.com/product/RBmAP2nD#fndtn-specifications

Sorry for the multiple posts. I can't paste the link from instagram.

Check instagram - there is a demo with the toaster! Yay.

Although, I've just realised that the cable may not be shown in that video.

External Content www.instagram.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

OMG - our prayers are answered.

I'm surprised that this thread doesn't have more activity. This development is very exciting.

I am just hoping that there is a way to make it work wirelessly with the legacy heads and not just the stage.

Comparing a closed back cabinet in an angle to an open back cabinet sitting on the floor gives a whole different experience. :)

Yes indeed. I did think about that! But I mentioned earlier on in the thread that a really scientific comparision/evaluation is quite a tricky task and I probably just skipped over a few of the problems and challenges in a rush.

In any case, I'm just enjoying the fact that the famous ckemper watched my video.

Did you hit the like and subscribe button?

I do have a Waza Air, it sounds good on its own use case, but with Kemper not so much.

Kemper guitar signal goes through Boss proprietary wireless, no latency, and I get Waza’s stereo surround and gyroscopic experience, additionally, I can stream music through Bluetooth. However, the sound using Waza’s flat mode is not even close to the sound I get from my wired headphones.

Is there any other alternative setting? How did you make it sound good with the Kemper?

Actually, I didn't make it sound good. I agree with you. The benefit of the Waza Air is the wireless with zero latency, not the audio quality. So quite often I don't bother with the kemper and just use the waza sounds.

I'm not even talking about the midi configuration. It will take me some time to work out the overall system model before I can use it. Just explaining that would be a good start. From my point of view I can read the documentation, but most users will not imho.

I'm not sure what you mean about tools. My ideal app would reside on the ipad and talk directly to the toaster via my bluetooth midi adapters. The midi adapters work fine with the ipad (as you may know ios has bluetooth midi natively).

There are a number of midi host apps on ios such as

midi designer pro 2

lemur

TouchOSC

TB midi stuff

Out of those I think midi designer pro 2 has the best reputation...and there must be others, but I have no idea of the pros and cons.

Are you saying that it would be easy to port your code to one of these apps?

Thanks schoko.

That looks really interesting. I can use it two different ways.

1. sit in the lounge with my speaker while the toaster stays connected to the laptop on my desk.

2. put my toaster on top of the speaker and use a bluetooth midi adapter that I just got recently

I had a quick look and although I'm pretty nerdy with computers it's going to take me a while to work it out though. My first bit of feedback is that you have to make the setup and install process much more obvious!

Hi all,

Some good points made by all of you.

The basic problem that I had when making this video is that it is basically impossible. Just consider that I have to record the audio on the video and then that audio has to be uploaded and processed by youtube.

I did consider just doing a spoken review (which this mostly is), but I know that people would criticise it because they want to 'hear' the kabinet, but because the kabinet is exactly not a cab that should be recorded (that would be so much better being recorded direct) then the recording is only of some use. I think that the manual says that you should not mic the kabinet.

My feeling in the room was that the kabinet sounded very good even though it did not sound like the original. I think I regret emphasising the comparison with the real amp. The intention was more to compare the 'amp in the room' feel rather than the specific tone. Regarding the amp in the room feel, I think that I would stick to my view that the kabinet felt less 'organic' or 'responsive', however I have only had a few hours playing with it and this may change as I (we) learn how to tweak it.

By the way - yes I did have too much reverb on the kabinet profile. It's one of the new spring reverb presets and to my ears it sounds really good. I did actually turn it down a bit from the preset, but I should have gone down further. In fact, I should have done the comparison with no reverb, but I can't bear to play without reverb!

Hi guys,

I threw together a video of my new powered kabinet.

I hope it's useful.

External Content www.youtube.com