Posts by DannyHawaii

I have to say I really like this as a software emulation. I'm running the trial and it's doing all the things I want software to do. I can't say I've heard something in this ballpark on a computer sound this good.

But since I have a Kemper, I sprang $7 for this and have to say I'm mostly covered. Phew.

https://tonejunkiestore.com/pr…mpire-kemper-profile-pack

And this in front for nothing works very well too!

https://www.audiority.com/shop/dr-drive/

My Profiler is from about 2014 so doesn't have the option to set SPDIF to slave. At the moment, this works fine with my SPL Crimson and I definitely prefer the sound of SPDIF over the analog output.

Now I'm looking to upgrade my audio interface and since I already have some UAD DSP on PCIe, I'm looking at their product range. The Apollo x6 is the only one with separate SPDIF on RCA so I would like to use this with the Kemper, which would keep the option to add extra i/o on the optical ADAT some time in the future.

It seems that I should be able to use the Kemper as SPDIF master but from what I'm reading about the new Apollo products, I would then be losing the advantage of the new super tight clocks they've designed. So I'm hoping there's a SPDIF board I could swap out or similar.

Does anyone have any experience around SPDIF here? Has anyone upgraded their Profilers, if this is possible?

4.0.6.12337B has crashed for me while previewing profiles in the Rig Manager. I'm on OS X 10.11.6 and Rig Manager 1.5.46 (12268).

I browsed around a number of profiles in the Rig Exchange with Stomp D and Effects Delay/Reverb all locked to off.

When I loaded the Valco69 profile, all knob/button pushes on the Kemper were non-responsive. After about 30 seconds the screen showed KEMPER PROFILE only. Throughout this I could still play through the unit.

I had to pull the plug to turn the Kemper on again. Once the Kemper was up I had to reboot my computer to get Rig Manager working again.

I have had strange things happen when turning on the Kemper, especially if I'm using bit perfect audio playback on my Mac. The sample rate can get all messed up, likely because the Kemper is fixed at 44.1kHz for SPDIF. Haven't had any crashes though.

I tend to turn the Kemper on before anything else out of habit these days. Takes a while for the valves to warm up. ;)

Plenty of great rigs in this pack, but I have to say I'm absolutely blown away by the Divided By 13 LDW profiles, both clean and dirty. They sound phenomenal with my Gretsch 6120 and a 60s Teisco.

Hi everyone,

Like a few others, I've been lurking here for a while now, doing my research while I saved and waited for the KPA to arrive.

Okay, I didn't really save any money, I just threw it on the credit card and now I'm scrambling to sell all my now unused gear to make up for my Kemper purchase. ;)

I've been loving the sound of the Kemper through my studio monitors and I've bought a few impressive profile packs from The Amp Factory, Soundside.de, Top Jimi, and M Britt. Still working through assembling a short list of favourite profiles and tweaking and saving my favourite effects presets.

Really looking forward to some spring reverb and tape delay in the stomp section, but until then I'm having amazing success by using plugins in Logic X during reamping. Softube's Spring Reverb is a current favourite, as well as Acon Digital's Verberate for that 'in the room' sound.

Great forum with lots of info and nice people! I've attempted an initial contribution in terms of my recording/reamping setup in the Tips/Tricks section.

Looking forward to many years of KPA playing!

Hey guys,

I'm a fairly recent Kemper owner and I'm absolutely besotted with this green little beastie. So many amazing sounds.

I've seen people in the forum wondering about the suitability of the SPL Crimson as a soundcard and I just wanted to say that it works a treat. I'm using it on an i7 Mac Mini with OS X Mavericks, set up in Logic X to use the custom Bit Accurate drivers from SPL. A 128 sample buffer works well for tracking and I usually bump it up to 512 while mixing. It took me a little while to get my head around a nice workflow, so I thought I'd share my findings for future forum searchers. Some of this might be duplicated but when I was trying to figure out how to use the Kemper the info came from many different sources and I'm hoping the next guy will find it all in one place here.

Recording:

• Kemper SPDIF Output set to Guit/Stack
    • Kemper SPDIF Out -> SPL Crimson SPDIF In
    • SPL Crimson SPDIF Out -> Kemper SPDIF In
    • Kemper Main Out set to Master Stereo (sometimes Master Mono)
    • Main Out XLR (balanced) -> SPL Crimson 3/4 TRS In (balanced)

For recording, on the SPL Crimson I turn the 3/4 input monitoring button on, starting the Monitor Mix knob at 1:1 and turn left until the guitar is suitably louder than the backing. The reason I set it up this way is so I can get the dry as well as the amped signal recorded while monitoring with the lowest latency possible. Something to watch out for is that the SPDIF on the SPL Crimson shares converters with the 1/2 outputs from your DAW so you can only hear one or the other.

Reamping:

• Kemper Input set to SPDIF Input Reamp
    • Logic X Dry track > Logic X I/O Plugin > Bus 1 (Reamp Bus)
    • I/O Plugin output set to SPL Crimson 5 out
    • I/O Plugin input set to SPL Crimson 6 in
    • Bus 1 Reamp set to No Output
    • Kemper Wet Track set to Bus 1 Reamp as input

For reamping, I use the I/O utility plugin on the dry track in Logic X. I then route this through the Kemper and back into a bus specifically set up for reamping. Then I have a new track that takes input from the reamping bus and that's what records the processed guitar track. If you're layering reamped tracks, make sure you set Constant Latency on in the Kemper's output section. Otherwise you'll run into phasing issues. Before you record, make sure to hit the Ping button on the I/O plugin as this calculates the round trip latency so it'll line the tracks up perfectly.

See this pic for details:
    [Blocked Image: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2948/15509274585_91eb1b9552.jpg]

So with this setup I still have inputs 1 and 2 on the SPL Crimson free to use as I wish. I just use a fully modded GAP Pre 73 into input 1 as all I record are vocals and bass/guitar through the Kemper. The rest is all software instruments.

Hope this helps someone!