Posts by FlyingSnowman

The amp is modified with a "post master volume"?

Since you are are getting different results with a modified amp than people get with a factory version of the same amp, this suggests the modified circuit may be part of the difficulty.

Where is this volume control placed in the amplifier circuit? Is it a passive volume control, or was an additional tube also added?

Hi Paul. Maybe, but when the master volume is totally open, the sound should be the same as an amp without the mod. Remember that the Studio Profile sounds perfect. The volume control is passive, there was no additional tube. It's a post amp master volume. And the problem stays that it would be way too loud if I have to open everything open. OK, I have a 4x12" V30 cabinet which should stand the volume, but not the neighbours :) I also think that the -40 dB that I set on the Behringer DI box, is only for the line out. I don't think it changes the speaker volume...

Starting to give up on this one... I hooked up the Behringer DI Box and set it to -40 dB. The Marshall's Volume was only at 3. I had to set the Post Master Volume (which I added as a mod later on) to about 4. It was so loud that I think it woke up the neighbors. I was able to profile it as a direct profile, and merge it with the cabinet of the Studio profile (same Marshall settrings) but the sound was horrible: very sharp, no bottom. I had to change the amp definition to 2.5 to come up with a reasonable sound, and added the gain I want. The Studio profile sounds much better...

Since I cannot use the RockCrusher for this, and the Behringer is way too loud (even with -40 dB setting!), what other options do I have?

I'm wondering if you have tried recording the amp (using a mic) at both volume 6 and at volume 10 - and then made sure the recordings are levelmatched and compared them in this scenario?

I made the Studio Profiles already, at all possible volumes, and they sound great. But I now want to make the Direct and Merged profiles and see if they sound even better...

it's still worth pointing out that the very important speaker/power amp interaction does not happen with dummy loads/load boxes.
    This is not about 'abusing' something not intended by the manufacturer to make it a feature (like distortion was at some point), but a reminder that a vital part is simply missing (or is over-simplified) in sounds that were obtained with such a device.

Yeah, I will just use the Behringer Ultra-G GI100 DI box and try to put the volume at 5 or 7. Of course, if that works, it's a bit pointless... Because the Major sounds only good when it's loud. :)

1) I just fiddled with the return level on the KPA until it worked. I didn't lower the volume on the Marshall, because that would give me a different distortion sound.
    2) yes, I copied the cabinet "and clicked the Merge checkbox" from the Studio Profile which was made with exactly the same amp settings.

What's the cheating part?

I'm trying to make a Direct Profile from a Marshall amp. I tried using 2 methods:

- The Rivera RockCrusher attenuator's Line Out - the KPA said that it detected a "noise gate" and that the results were unreliable. Fair enough. It's documented too.
    - The Behringer Ultra-G GI100 DI box. I set it to -40 dB... without speaker simulation.

The problem is that, using the Behringer, the signal is too hot. It's totally unusable. The KPA says the amp is distorting too much (I put it at 10 of course because that's the sound I want to profile). If I lower the return signal on the KPA, it says the signal is too low and he cannot detect it... When I was able to get the right volume and profile it, the sound was horrible. Please note that I copied a cabinet from a Studio Profile with the same amp settings, and that I did a merge profile! So I'm not talking about the sound of the Direct Profile, which is always horrible anyway.

What do you guys use for Direct Profiling?

Strange thing happening with the Harmonizer... When you put it in the MOD or X block, and the delay is ON, the pitch is ALWAYS delayed instead of being played together with the basic note. I want the delay on ALL notes, not just on the pitched note. Furthermore, the pitch of the delayed note is way below the pitch I set it to... It's like an octave lower, while I set it top a third up! Anyone had the same experience? Is it bug or can it be helped by change a parameter?

Cheers. The cbr series look ok. Suppose now that i have a dxr15 hooked up to the main out, and a cbr15 passive speaker to the speaker output of the kpa power amp... Can i run it in stereo? E.g. Main master left out to dxr15 and the monitor output for the speaker set to master right? I dont find an option under monitoring routing to set it to master right... So how would i do that?

Exactly this! I've been dreaming about a LINK feature since the beginning. Was very disappointed it didn't work that way. I use my performances in the same way, and most of the time, use the same rigs - sometimes with a few parameters changed like delay or reverb. And when I have to change one setting in a rig, I have to go over all my performances and go nuts with the copy/paste buttons. Very time consuming...