Posts by FlyingSnowman

I play in 2 cover bands and use my GR55 with my Kemper every time I play. I have used guitar synths live for going on 30 years

I use the GR-55 also in a cover band. We have no keyboard player so I just use it to put an organ or string layer in a few (very few) songs. I don't use it for soloing as I think the tracking still sucks. Also play a song or two on a keyboard because it's still easier to play synthesizer sounds on a keyboard. What I like about the GR-55, is that it has also an audio sample play function, so I use that in a few songs (for an effect or even a string loop). And that it has guitar models. If I need to play in a different tune, or even if I need an acoustic guitar sound, I use the GR-55 for it. Not perfect, but good enough for the purpose of the song. Although the SY-300 is really tempting because the tracking problems are "solved" since it doesn't do pitch-to-midi conversion, I don't think I would spend the money for it, it's a bit expensive. I also wouldn't sell the GR-55 to buy one, because the guitar modeling and audio sample play stuff is missing on the SY-300 (bummer).

There's plenty of room for error in this stuff, I wouldn't go too harshly on Kemper. The OP said they had to find the cause first before it was accepted, I was just explaining why that might be, what goes on in typical bug-tracking, why you might find a perfectly legitimate bug may not always be accepted by a developer.

Like I said already in my previous post, normally bugs are avoided as much as possible by doing structured (and mostly but not necessarily automatic) regression testing. There will always be bugs, but there are professional and standard processes to deal with this. A feature that worked before, should still work after implementing a new one. Otherwise it's a regression. Normally, you build test cases and then you test. And again, what bothered me the most, was the attitude, like explained before. I don't want to repeat it, I don't want to blame them more than I already did :) I'm just saying that the process could be a bit industrialized, like it is usually done in IT. Doesn't have to cost a lot of time, it's a matter of organisation.

Sounds like you did everything you could have. Not sure if you did this but there are a lot of intelligent people on this forum. In addition to contacting support, post a thread about the bug with all your info and videos. Maybe other users have experienced the bug and/or could recreate it. This might have moved it along faster.

I did that of course... No-one reacted so I figured I was the only one noticing it. But when Kemper released the public 4.0.6. version, some other guys here on the forum had the same problem.

My dealings with Kemper support have always been great. Hans replies back within minutes to solve any questions. As a former IT guy myself I try to provide as much info and proof of an issue. I tried everything support asked and even recorded sound samples for them to hear. It was determined very quickly that my Kemper needed to be sent out to repair. Surprised to hear you had issues with support but we are only hearing one side of it.

My goal is not really to criticize support (although I admit I have been VERY frustrated - anyone would have been). My goal is to understand how you guys "prove" that it's a bug. I've sent video files showing the symptoms. I've sent my backups. What else should I have done?

Bugs happen, period.
    For a bug to be acknowledged and consequently be fixed the most important thing for support is to be able to replicate it in order to scrutinize it.
    This can take time and, if they fail to replicate 'your' bug immediately, can be a bit frustrating for the user.
    But hang in there, don't forget it's in Kemper's best interest to finally find the bug and iron it out.

I'm an IT guy with 35 years experience in different areas (development, testing, system engineer, database, etc)... So of course I know that a bug is something "normal" (although you can avoir them as much as possible by doing some quality degression testing). I understand that it can take time to clearly identify the bug as well. What I don't understand, is the stubbornness claiming that it's not a bug while it is one - see my previous post.

By the way, I hope this topic is not "taboo" :)

I've had a quite frustrating experience with Kemper support about a bug in version 4.0.6. It took me literally months to try and prove that the behavior was indeed a bug (not caused by a beta version!), exchanging emails and wasting my valuable time... They kept on insisting that it was caused by a beta version, that my data was corrupted, that I had to restore an old version (and hence loose all my performances!) etc etc.

Finally, I found the cause of the bug myself (under what circumstances the bug appears) on a standard factory installation of 4.0.6 and only then they accepted my statement.I would like to know if any of you experienced the same? How do you deal with it? How do you prove "you're right" ?

Hi guys,

I found out what is causing the bugs... after several months!

It's been MONTHS that I am sending messages to support, sending videos of the problem and backups of my KPA. And it's been MONTHS that they tell me that it's not a bug, and that my data is corrupted. It took me HOURS to figure out what's going on. Restoring old OS versions and old backup files. Finally, I found the bug.

This is what is causing the bug: When you put parameter Perf. Load on page 3 of the System Settings in Performance mode, from "Pending" to "Slot 1", the bug appears!!!
    if you put the parameter back to Pending, everything works fine.The bug is the following :

When you scroll through the Performances with the TYPE knob, the next performance is not shown. Instead, it always shows "New Performance". Also, if you press EXIT, you jump to the last Performance. You can only get out of that menu by loading a Performance. Very very annoying.

I hope that finally now Kemper will have ears for our problem and solve this asap! :cursing:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

sorry for the video quality...
    http://www.neverb4.be

[quote='FlyingSnowman','https://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/Thread/29614-Kempers-Effects-Good-Enough-for-You/?postID=320960#post320960']Are you able to use the tap tempo on the remote to control the Strymon tempo? How do you do

For the moment I don't echo the midi clock to the midi output/thru ports, because there's a bug in the Mobius (even when midi clock sync is OFF)... Tempo's get screwed up totally... I'm waiting for Strymon to release a new firmware version that fixes this, and only then I will be able to send the midi clock to both the Mobius and Timeline. One of the problems is that the Kemper has only 1 "send midi clock" option for both midi ports at the same time. I use one performance per song and set the performance tempo for each song, so I do not need to use the tap tempo button on the Remote.

I use the Strymon Mobius and Timeline and attached them on top of the Kemper with Velkro. I think the Mobius has much better modulation effects than the Kemper. I'm OK with the reverbs in the Kemper, because I don't use a lot of reverb in the style I'm playing. What I'm missing the most, is a good AUTOWAH like the EHX QTron for example. I simulated it with the wah in the Kemper, but it totally sucks. I'm quite happy with the real wah sounds in the Kemper, those are OK. I would like to see QTRON, Boss Dynamic Filter and Boss T-Wah simulations in the Kemper. I don't use distortion pedals in the Kemper. Never used them in real life either, I always let the amp do the work.

I'm having less or more the same problem, when I'm using modeled guitar sounds from the GR-55. The GR-55 adds quite some hiss compared to the normal guitar sound. I don't go through the GR-55 for the normal guitar sound; I use a Boss LS2 line selector to switch between my normal guitar sound and the modeled guitar sound. The normal guitar sound is just fine. Only the modeled guitar sound gives too much hiss. But it's very handy (for example to use alternate tunings). I have to put the noise gate on the Kemper much higher for modeled sounds. Was also wondering if there are other solutions.

But you can also use something like this: thomann.de/gb/midi_solutions_event_processor.htm
    So you can filter Midi clock out... It is no cheap solution, but it could help.

Hi Aehaem, thanks for the suggestion. I know that device but it's way too expensive. I'm using an iPad app called MidiFlow which is really fantastic. It does that and much much more. I ordered an iConnectivity iMidiConnect 2 as a midi interface to the iPad as well. Just have to test if the response times are fast enough.