Posts by Davesounds

Thanks got it working. Just needed to pump in a bit more gain, something must have been triggering it into thinking it was the intended signal as the profile i noticed bumped up the noise floor quite a lot also.

OK thanks I didn't go through with saving the profile but will give another go with this in mind. There was also some noise from the amp that may have picked up so will do again with this in mind. I'll let you know how it goes.

Hi

I was inspired buy some profiles i saw recently then claim to have been run through tape and thought I would try the same with my Ampex 440C.

Only issue is the delay between the record and playback heads is actually mimicked by the profiler so anything I profile this way has a approx 166ms delay/latency.
    Is there a way to eliminate this delay ?

Hi Plattino

Ive basically profiled every mode or channel the amps have to offer. So like the Marshall JVM410 that,s 4 channels by 3 modes which adds up to 16 separate profiles as well as merged and DI from the head.

As for other like the Orange AD30 it's just 2 channels for 2 profiles. That also helps explain some of the price difference I suppose but at the price point there at I'm sure that's not an issue :)

PS I do have some free profiles in the Rig Exchange ;)

General purpose Meter is fine, the main thing is an accurate level reading is the only issue I have using this unit and listening to so many of the stock profiles proves it would make an improvement on consistency and clipping of levels.

It's my experience with guitar players in the studio when setting pedals and multi FX units there is a very poor understanding of gain structure let alone inter sample peaks which can be as great as up to 6db.

To say it digital unit can't be clipped is absurd. I'm sorry if I'm being a little aggressive on this topic but it needs to be addressed.
    Yes I can use a bit of common sence to make sure this dosn't happen but even then issues seem to arrive later down the track, Ive heard this with many profiles.

Problem is there is no way of knowing if it is clipping internally which it likely is. The green to red LED is just way too crude for such an important task.
    I think there really needs to be proper metering in and out for optimum gain staging. This seems a very large oversight in the profiling process as there is technically no difference to recording a guitar track to tape or disk. If you hear clipping going into say pro tools you've most likely gone way over 0db so hears alone are not a good measure. On the other hand clipping can be just the effect your after.

Other diagnostics in the profiled would also be great to compare the profiled rig with the original. Frequancy analysis would be a handy tool here also.

Being able to edit these features on a PC or MAC would be invaluble and give so many option to help create better and more interesting profiles.

Knowing levels and gain staging ARE very important.

After updating to 4.0 and trying a whole bunch of rigs recently I've noticed it's not just me but also a few popular profiles that have an issue with clipping mainly with clean profiles.

I do pay close attention to this when profiling and I find even in general some sort of level meter would be a useful guide to determining levels withing the unit when profiling also for consistancy.
    As a sound engineer i feel this is a critical but overlooked feature of the profiling procedure.

Also not sure if there is but a way to alter the level internally ( maybe a editing program Mac/PC) if the profile is clipping after the profile has been created.I find that quite often after making clean profiles with the Kemper impulse algorithm and even refining with no clipping during the process that I can still get clipping using that profile later with the same guitar.
    If this program also have other tools such as phase detection and analise frequency response I'm sure it would help make better profiles.

My only gripe after having the unit over a year. It's one spectacular piece of work Kemper !