Posts by Rome

I don't want to sound offensive but if you really look close at the headline of this thread then you and ck are the only ones who can write something here that is perfectly on topic. You know the answer to the question, we don't.

Regular users can only contribute speculations, chat about company politics and add a tube amp comparison once in a while. This is not a bad thing but discussing something without having a chance to find an answer to the original question of the discussion will lead into off topic talk by nature. That's how forums work since the ancient world.

However, after 38 months, 76 pages, 1517 posts and over 150,000 views everything that is even remotely related to the topic has been said many times by many users in this thread (even the off topic stuff) without getting anywhere. Maybe it's time to make a cut.

If you don't want to answer the question in the thread title then please close this thread and make it sticky so everyone will see it. Add a note to the first post that further discussions about this topic are prohibited on this forum.

This seems to be an important topic for many people and they will most likely still open new threads with the same question again and again. If they do then please calm down, count to ten and close these threads as well without much circumstance. Maybe it's a good idea to append these threads to this one to keep things tidy and clean.

This way you can keep the status quo of the editor case and you don't have to threaten your most loyal users with warnings and bans over and over again.

Same here.

The only things I kept are the Kemper and my Line6 DT25 combo. It uses the old POD HD algorithms as amp models but it has a very versatile Bogner designed power amp and a very well matched internal speaker. This combinations just works great.

The Kemper has been sitting in my small studio and the DT25 has been my grab'n'go solution for a couple of years now.

Ich habe sogar schon gehört das es günstiger ist nach Anaheim auf die NAM zu gehen als nach Frankfurt.

Das stimmt wahrscheinlich auch. Allein durch die zum Teil absurden Hotelpreise in Frankfurt während einer Messe rechnet sich wohl schon fast die Reise nach Anaheim. Das Convention Center liegt dort direkt neben Disneyworld und daher gibt es im direkten Umkreis dutzende Hotels in wirklich allen Größen, Preisklassen, Farben und Stilrichtungen (und außerdem eine Menge gute Futterstellen).

Ich weiß zwar nicht, wie das bei der NAMM ist, aber bei der Messe, bei der wir zwei Wochen später immer ausstellen, sind die Preise in der Halle noch wirklich moderat im Vergleich zu Frankfurt oder München (egal ob Standgebühren, Messebau oder Verpflegung).

Wenn man das zusammen zählt, rechnet sich das wohl wirklich schnell. Für eine Messe ist man ja gerne mal mit mehreren Leuten fast eine ganze Woche unterwegs. Da fallen die Flüge kaum noch ins Gewicht und eine Kiste per Spedition verschicken zu lassen, kostet auch nicht die Welt.

Außerdem ist Südkalifornien im Januar (fast) immer eine Reise wert (sonnige 25°-32° dieses Jahr). :)

I've seen them on the 'State Of Euphoria' Tour in Hamburg with Suicidal Tendencies as opener. This was one of the best shows I've ever seen. Incredible performance from both bands.

Anthrax lost me a bit at the time where Belladonna left the band. Maybe I should give them another chance.

The lack communication is one of the main issues with the editor.

There are a lot of developers hanging around here and I strongly believe that they could create something great if they all work together and get a bit of support from Kemper. But nobody wants to waste such a huge amount of time on a project when there is a chance that there will be an official editor at some point that will render the entire community effort useless in a heartbeat.

It works with VirtualBox, Windows 8 Pro and Ubuntu 16.4 here.

But it's silly. I run a closed source virtual machine with a closed source operating system on my Linux PC and all it does is to communicate with external devices (editors, firmware upgrade tools, app upload tools, license managers and things like that). And all of these external devices run some kind of open source operating system too (Linux, BSD, FreeRTOS etc). So a working communication should absolutely be a given. But it isn't.

Market share is one thing but all these operating systems and many millions of lines of supporting code were developed on these operating systems by users of these operating systems and given to the world for free. Too bad that most of the beneficiaries don't share the same attitude as the original developers and give something back to the community. But that's how the world works in this day and age I guess.

You'll need a real virtual machine with a real Windows for the rig manager to work as it needs a custom driver to work. This driver is not available under WINE.

Home or studio, a nicely designed computer editor would be a very important addition to the toolbox!
    A good programmer/team would be able to come up with something in a decent amount of time.

This may be true for an official editor. A community based editor could only be successful if the coders can be sure that the effort is not wasted.

There is still no official statement so there is always a risk that an official editor will be released two weeks after the community based one. This would instantly render the entire community effort useless.

Interessant. Ich habe meinen KPA seit mehr als drei Jahren und der ist täglich in Betrieb. Mindestens genau so lange turne ich in diversen Foren zu dem Thema herum und das ist das erste mal, dass ich dieses Phänomen sehe.

Ist das Gerät bei dir irgend welchen besonderen Erschütterungen ausgesetzt? Bandbus ohne Stoßdämpfer? Drummer mit viel zu viel Testosteron?

Das Gerät selber macht mir im wesentlichen nur Freude, der Rigmanager macht mir überhaupt keine Probleme - weil ich ihn nämlich in keinem meiner Linuxe nutzen kann.
    Ich weiß, es gab diesen Kritikpunkt hier schon mal, das ist m.W. Jahre her, und der Hersteller hat es seinerzeit geschafft, eine etwaig aufkommende Diskussion darüber zeitnah im Keim zu ersticken mit Argumenten, denen zu begegnen meine spärlichen IT-Kenntnisse mir nicht gestatteten.
    Gleichwohl tu ich mich sehr schwer damit, anzuerkennen, daß es dieser aller Wahrscheinlichkeit nach großartig verdienenden Firma nicht möglich sein soll, einen Entwickler dafür zu bezahlen, den Rigmanager wenigstens unter wine lauffähig zu machen.

Das Problem ist wohl nicht der Rigmanager selber. Wahrscheinlich läuft der eh schon mit einem Standardframework und sollte daher einfach auf Linux portierbar sein. Ich sehe aber auch keine Funktionen, die grundsätzlich das Benutzen mit Wine verhindern würden (obskurer Kopierschutz oder sowas).

Das Problem ist, dass die Hardware nicht per Plug'n'Play funktioniert und damit unter Wine auch nicht verfügbar ist. Kemper nutzt unter Windows und macOS einen proprietären Treiber und den kriegt man nicht so leicht unter Linux bzw Wine zum Laufen. Wenn der RM sich mit MIDI zufrieden geben würde, dann würde das unter Umständen gehen.

Ich habe aber irgendwann aufgegeben und nutze hier eine VM mit Windows extra für solche Sachen. Ist zwar etwas umständlicher aber funktioniert wunderbar.

Kemper ist wirklich eine sehr sehr kleine Firma und da kann ich es schon nachvollziehen, wenn die Resourcen nicht für alles reichen, was man vielleicht gerne möchte. Und es ist ja nicht so, dass es da an der Softwarefront keine anderen Baustellen gibt. Ich glaube, du erwartest da einfach zu viel von dieser Firma.

However, Kemper bedient sich insbesondere beim RM natürlich reichlich im OpenSource-Regal und auch die Rig-Cloud wird sicher nicht unter Windows laufen sondern (ebenso wie die Webseite von Kemper und dieses Forum) mit Apache und PHP unter einem OS-Betriebssystem. Das alles ist aber noch im üblichen Rahmen. Natürlich wäre es schön, wenn da auch mal was an die Leute zurück kommen würde, die das ganze ja mal entwickelt und der Welt unentgeltlich zur Verfügung gestellt haben (ja, auch OS-Software fällt nicht einfach so vom Himmel) und die sitzen nun einmal häufig an einem Linux-Rechner. Das ist am Ende des Tages aber nur eine moralische und keine vertragliche Verpflichtung und, wie gesagt, eine kleine Firma wie Kemper muss sich seine Kräfte einteilen.

Richtig ärgern tue ich mich da eher über Firmen wie Sony, wo ich Windows booten muss, wenn ich neue Linux-Apps und neue Linux-Firmware-Versionen auf meine teure Linux-Kamera spielen will oder über Konzerne wie Amazon und Google, deren milliardenschwere Geschäftsprozesse, Rechen- und Logistikzentren und alle Endgeräte komplett auf Linux basieren und wo ich dann trotzdem Windows booten muss, um einen Film zu gucken (der von einem Linux-Server zu mir gestreamt wird) oder um Verzeichnisse von meinem Linux-Rechner mit deren Linux-Server zu synchronisieren.

Wie auch schon von anderen gesagt: Du musst die Flexibilität nicht nutzen, nur weil sie da ist.

Ich habe den Kemper jetzt seit drei Jahren und nutze, wenn man es genau nimmt, praktisch nur zwei Profile in verschiedenen Variationen (andere Einstellungen, Effekte etc). Natürlich habe ich auch viele Profile gekauft und da sind auch wirklich klasse Sachen dabei, die mich immer wieder inspirieren aber ich lande am Ende des Tages doch immer wieder bei den gleichen Sounds.

Von daher: Mach dich nicht verrückt sondern geh einfach ganz entspannt durch die Sounds durch und lass dich inspirieren. Wenn Du bei einem Sound länger hängen bleibst, dann markiere ihn als Favoriten. Am nächsten Tag gehst du dann mit frischen Ohren durch die Favoriten und und sortierst weiter aus. Wäre ja gelacht, wenn da nicht schon ab Werk irgend etwas passendes dabei wäre.

I did not mention the editor thread! Accept to point out that, if Kemper HQ admitted that they are working on an editor, the floodgates would open and a shitfight would ensue.

When the upcoming editor was (accidentally) confirmed in the NAMM threads over a month ago the floodgates did not open at all. Everyone was happy and all were looking forward to the editor, no shitfights in sight. The ranting started again when Kemper moved this topic back into uncertainty. So your point is moot.

If Kemper answers 'no' to the question then the community will entirely take over and create a full fledged editor at some point. I have no doubt about that. If they say 'yes' then Kemper will release an editor eventually and we will have to show patience. And I believe that people will have the patience because everything that Kemper delivers is great in the end - it just takes time.

Currently Kemper says nothing and absolutely nothing happens (at least it looks like this from outside). That's why people are ranting about it over and over again.

The topic of this thread is a simple 'yes' or 'no' question:

[_] Yes
    [_] No

i'd appreciate if you'd check before you post. this way you can avoid putting out rumours nobody benefits from.

Yes, you are absolutely right. I don't know where I've got that Mono info from as the at least the windows binary seems to be native. But looking at the provided SQLite databases, resource files, OSX OS system dependencies and so on I will leave the rest of my comment intact.

Wine can't run the Rig Manager because it needs the Kemper USB driver. And that doesn't work under Linux. So the only choice you have is to use a VM with Windows. That's what I use.

Technically the Rig Manager should run just fine under Linux as it's based almost entirely on technologies with Linux origin (Mono and many other open source libraries). It's just compiled in a way so that it will only run on Windows or MacOS.

That's the downside of open source. Companies can take code and technologies as they like without having to give anything back to the community. As a result the people who have actually created a huge part of the software will never have the chance to use it without jumping through hoops.

But this way you cannot loop guitars through the Trio+, can you?

That's why I'm using two cables from both Trio+ outputs to my monitor (QSC K10). It has two separate inputs so it's no problem. I use this setup because the Trio adds a speaker simulator to the combined out when it's used alone and that sounds bad on top of the Kemper cab sim.

This way I can use the KPA in the loop of the Trio and loop it as I like when jamming with my new band mates.