Posts by Orangecat

Why are you changing those a lot? Are you aware you can create and store different output EQ setings? I've created ones based on the club I'm playing at or the cabinet I'm using with my powered kemper. You name the setting with something that helps you remember what it is, then you can quickly browse and select by name.

I turn mine off with the cabinet still plugged in. Some have mentioned they hear a 'pop/click' from the cabinet when powering off. I created a patch I call 'low volume' that is a clean tone at very low volume, which I use on powering up so I can make sure my guitar wireless is working or use the kemper tuner. When swapping out guitars between songs, I select that low volume preset to keep things quiet. In between sets, I turn off my guitar wireless and select that preset then too. I also select that preset when powering down. When turning back on, it boots up with that preset.

I agree with jlf599. In the last year, I've picked up several Carvins and a Keisel with the Lithium pickups (very good by the way). Excellent guitars in every way, materials, construction, appearance, playability.

With my previous midi pedal channel patch controlled modelling amps, I always created a rig/patch that I called "off volume" that was a clean channel setting with no effects and very low volume. Enough volume that I could plug in my guitar before a show and strum the strings to make sure the wireless was working and the amp/cabinet cable and such were all hooked up correctly.

When I got my powered Kemper, I created a simliar 'rig' and at the end of every use/show, I use my midi change pedal to select that rig before I turn off the Kemper. With the low volume setting, all I here is a faint 'click' from the guitar cabinet when it powers down. Naturally upon the next powerup, its still on that same "off volume" rig, and again, I can strum the guitar to make sure everythings hooked up right before I engage a regular loud rig. This low volume setting also helps if I want to practice a lead or something in between sets.

Gary Holt of Exodus/Slayer had a ESP guitar clinic in Camarillo California tonight and played through his Kemper non-powered toaster. Awesome tones, both distortion and clean. He first used one of the $5000 ESP Holt signature guitars straight from the dealers floor, and then his personal ESP LTD GH-600 guitar. He fed the Kemper signal into the back jack/power amp section of a Marshall head into a Marshall 4x12. He commented several times about how good the Kemper sounds. He mentioned to me later that the profiles we were hearing were done of some of his Marshalls and Engls. I think I was the only one there that even knew what a Kemper was. I half joking, half seriously asked him if he'd email me his rig tone, but he said no and smiled. Very cool guy by the way. Got him to sign my ESP LTD GH-600 guitar.

The powered kemper does work with 100 to 150 watt cabs (my 120 watt cabinet is perfect example), but is dependent on the impedance of the cab and how much you crank the amp. As I mentioned, my master volume is 3.4 and that volume is enough to keep up with the drums in my cover band, and that volume level into a 120 watt 16 ohm cab is no issue. Now if I had to turn up to 9 or 10 and engage the full 300 watts of power by the kemper at 16 ohms, I'd be frying some speakers.

you mention running 8 ohm cabinets, which means the kemper has the ability to send 600 watts to the cabinet depending on your patch gain settings and if your master volume is cranked up.

somethings up if you think the kemper isnt that loud yet the speakers are getting hot. I suggest you get a multimeter and put a cord in the cabinet and measure the cab impedance by putting one lead of the meter on the tip of the cord and the other lead on the body of the jack and see what you get. You will be measuring DCR (resistance of the coil wires) but that is very close to impedance. If you measure 14~16 ohms, its a 16 ohm cab, if 6.5~8 then an 8 ohm cab, if 3~4, then 4 ohm cab.

also try to work out your gain structure

Can you give details about your 4x12? What speakers are in it (i.e. what wattage each speaker) and what is the impedance of the cabinet? (Do you have just one input jack in the cabinet or do you have two jacks with the option of different impedance)? Also what was your Kemper master volume level?

Per the specs on the powerhead/powerrack, it is 600W into 8 ohms and 300W into 16 ohms. I'm running 4 Celestion large motor 30 watt greenbacks (model G12H(55), so my cabinet is effectively only a 120W cabinet, but I run it through the 16 ohm load with my output volume at 3.4, which is volume for a small bar/club situation (i.e. not earbleed volume). I've had no issues/no smell from the cabinet.

If perhaps your cabinet is a 4 ohm load, then (assuming the Powerhead/rack can handle 4 ohms; probably can as its solid state) you'd be putting around 1200W into the cabinet, so even had lower volumes, you could run the risk of heating up the speakers (if you are smelling something burnt, it would mean the voice coils are getting very hot, and the smell probably from the glue/enamel coating of the wire in the voice coil....and I work for a speaker company and know that smell!).

To answer your question of what guitar cabinets are suited for the powered Kemper, any cabinet rated from 280W to 300W with a 16ohm load input jack would work fine (assuming you need to play very loud, hence matching the cabinet wattage to the Kemper wattage at 16ohm load). Marshall 1960A (300W) or the 280W 1960AV are examples that have the 16ohm input option. I checked Mesa Boogie, but the recto and road king cabs are 8ohm/4ohm...I'd stay with 16ohm load cab.

Excellent post... Have you ever had any problems with burning smells from your 412 when using with the 600w Kemper...?! Used my PowerRack through a Marshall 412 the other week and wasn't even pushing it that hard and it started to smell at one point!

As for the global eq's - where can you set/save them?

I still don't think the rest of a band would listen to reason if they thought you're too loud though - even if you show them the numerical figure was the same haha!

No issues with my powered Kemper into my 412...I'm going into the 16ohm load, so that makes it a 300W Kemper and my output volume is 3.4.

For the global EQ, check out my 2nd post in this thread where I explain it (its supposedly in the manual but I couldn't find it but hit a few buttons and figured it out):
    Global EQ

I have the powered 'toaster' into a Marshall 4x12 with the large magnet Celestion 30W greenbacks and it is awesome as a live rig.

I used to use a Line 6 Vetta Combo (2x12) with a 2x12 external cabinet, then more recently Marshall JVM410 head or Engl Powerball II head into the Marshall 4x12. I play in a Rock/Alternative/Dance cover band and in small clubs so no need to mic the cabinet, so audience always hears direct from cabinet. I need lots of different tones for 45 songs a night, so my tone/patch switching has always been with a midi pedal (and old ART X-11) to control 'patch' changes.

Profiled a couple of my favorite amp tones and used the rig manager to download others I liked and made favorite rigs in the Kemper that matched my various favorites with the other amps and switch the Kemper live using my midi pedal.

Have done about 6 gigs with the powered Kemper and it sounds awesome. To me, it sounds/"feels" as if I still had the Line6/Marshall/Engl working the speaker cabinet...but better tone! The Kemper delivers just as much bass/oomff to feel the low end, same as the Marshall or Engl. What is interesting (and probably a result of the Kemper mimicking more of a recorded tone) is that I don't notice the usual 4x12 cabinet directivity or "icepick" highs if you stand just at the right place in front of cabinet as you usually notice with regular amps. The Kemper powering the 4x12 yields a more consistent tone as you walk across the front of the band.

At my gig last Friday, an audience member that was there the whole night came up to me after the 3rd set and asked how long I had the Kemper, (I was impressed he recognized and knew what a Kemper was) and mentioned he was a recording engineer and had done stuff with people using Kemper's in the past year. He complemented me on all my tones used during the night (cleans, cleans with chorus, cleans with delays, about 4 different distortion tones some with chorus and flange and such). I'm the rhythm guitar player in a band that has an awesome lead player (can play original EVH Eruption note for note, Satriani note for note, etc) and yet I was the one the guy was complimenting because of the Kemper's tone.

A great thing about the Kemper is you can set up several global EQs based on the places you play. If the club has no carpet and is all solid reflecting surfaces, you can set up an EQ with a slightly dialed down highs and maybe a slight bass boost. If you play in a place with lots of carpeting and sound deadening on the wall, you can set up/store an opposite EQ.

Another great 'band' feature is the Kemper remembers the master volume last used when you turn off, and you can read the level as a number and even take a photo to remember what volume works well at a specific club. So when you get to the next gig you can dial the master volume to the exact number you used at the last gig for that club. Works great for those situations when people in the band start saying you are too loud or you are too soft...the Kemper owner is the consistent person from gig to gig. You can point out to the others in the band that they are the ones that have the volume setting problem!

Being new to the kemper powerhead, I too tried to use input sens to balance volumes of clean vs distortion, and when boosting distortion, i did hear perceived volume increase, did a gig that way but noticed my originally great sounding distortion tones were to buzzy/tissy/muddy, like they had too much gain. That bugged me all night for 4 sets. After the gig I set everything up at home to play around and check things and I backed the input sens on distortion back to zero and my good tones came back. Thats when I realized I was just boosting the gain by doing what I did. I left input sens for distortion on zero and just went into my distortion rigs and slightly boosted the rig volume to affect the desired balance vs. the clean sounds. Sounded awesome at last gig that way.

Good to read here that my assumptions were correct.

I figured it out. Hit store and it asked either output or rig, clicked output and had the opportunity to name it. Then I went back into output, set everything back to <0> hit store then output, renamed to "flat" and stored. What took me a while was to figure out how to select between the two after I created them. I was hitting lots of buttons, then I thought to rotate the Browse knob and there I saw my two choices. Now to select all I have to do is hit the output button and then rotate the Browse knob. The current setting is the one highlighted, rotate the knob to the desired setting and since I have it set up to autoload, it switches right away to the new setting. Then hit the exit button and I'm done.

... and you can save your settings as well, should you go to that venue again :)

can you walk me through how to do that? I just got a kemper and knew about the output EQ and did some tweaking for our rehersal spot (to compensate for lots of carpet and wall sound deadening) but didn't know I could save that setting. i assume you can name it also? If you have couple stored settings, how would you go about selecting between them? My gig location is no carpet and all hard surfaces, so would be great to set up and recall separate EQ for that. Thanks in advance for any help!

I just got a Profiler Powerhead last week. I noted on a review on Sweetwater that mentioned turning the cab sim off when connecting just the speaker cabinet (he mentioned that as some people complain about the sound thru a cabinet). I also studied the manual and the reference manual for a few days before the powerhead arrived. First thing I did when I turned on the powerhead was finding the page to turn the cab sim off, but like 'theplayer', my master volume knob did nothing. I went back to the output and linked the master to the speaker/monitor out and TADA! everything worked perfect. I am using a Marshall 4x12 with large magnet 30W greenbacks (16ohm input) (same cab I use with my Marshall JVM410H and Engl Powerball II) and the tones I'm getting from the Kemper Powerhead are very good, basically similar to my tube amps. All my effects and such work as intended also.

I briefly auditioned all 300 presets in the amp and another 100 or so from the Rig Manager, and though I didn't care for some of the rigs, they all sounded 'correct' through my cabinet.

So no complaints here! I find it to be a very good sounding amp thru a cabinet, which is what I needed for my rock/dance/alternative cover band. I did a 3 hour rehearsal with it and used about 20 different rig sounds triggered with midi change pedal threee nights after I received the amp. Sounded great, only did a little global EQ to match the room we were in, and played with input sensitivity of clean and distortion to get those balanced.