So I got the SD Power Stage 170 and the HB Custom Line Thunder 99 for comparison. Especially from the view of a stage user who wants a solution that fits on pedalboard.
Tested with the Kabinet.
Both devices have their Pros and Cons. I will list my impressions of them so far.
In common I think that both are suitable solutions for the Kone/Kabinet and unpowered Kempers.
Custom Line Thunder 99
- Nice price at 89€
- Enough power for rehearsels, gig monitoring and I would say also as main audio source for small to medium club gigs (see power/volume example at the end)
- Good quality construction/design, feels stable
- Significant smaller and more lightweight than the Power Stage
- Mute foot switch
- Power adapter very big (way bigger than the pedal itself and even bigger then most laptop power adapters I've seen the last years)
Power Stage 170
- Even better quality construction/design, feels massive and even more stable
- Equalizer (but I won't need it because its in the Kemper already)
- Even more power, so you won't be worried about
- Integrated fan and control lamps to prevent overheating
- General On/Off Switch
- Hefty price tag (nearly same than the Kabinet itself, so easily doubles the price of the fun)
- Significant bigger and more weighty than the Thunder 99
- In quiet places you can hear the fan (so if you want to let your equipment running ready in the background at home this could be annoying)
As an rough example for the power/volume of both:
Both devices on 12 o clock.
In my 20m² room it starts already being too loud at Kemper volume:
Other way round. With Kemper at nearly 50% Volume (-11 db):
max. 3 o clock
max. 4-5 o clock
Yeah that isn't an objektive laboratory measurement. But it should be enough as an orientation for the ones that can't imagine the difference between the power of both solution at all or aren't sure if especially the Thunder 99 has enough power for their home jamming or rehearsels.
I haven't made my decision because due to obvious reasons I couldn't test it in rehearsel yet.
Hope that helps somebody.