Posts by joelgrind

Hi guys, back home and ran some tests, EQ matching. I'm on OS 8.2.2 DonPetersen .

Some background on the test:

1. EVH 5150 III EL34 head into matching 2x12 cab, mic'ed with SM57 in the standard position (Mic placed where the cap meets the cone, standard metal mic'ing). All Knobs at 12 o'clock minus the volume which was set to 10'oclock. Set the resonance on the back to 0, tried it with my "normal setting of about half way up and the subs were completely out of control, this was the only way i could even get the sound to not sound ridiculous.

2. I used a looping pedal so that all the sound tests were the same material/riff.

3. I recorded the original amp, then the profiled amped before and after refining. Also included versions where im bouncing back and forth so you can see the difference without changing files. The one that bounces back and forth starts with the Kemper profile, then to the original, and then back again.

4. I EQ matched pre and post refining. as you can see anything below 100hz is out of wack. Also the high-end is completely diffrent but I mainly notice the sub bass.

Link the files and screen shots:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zy2…dEhouF4FIVdTi3_hycqa?dl=0

Sorry guys, I’m away till tomorrow, I will provide screen shots of eq matching curves as well as sound samples. It’s consistent every time I profile that there are more subs so it won’t be hard to replicate. As for pushing my load box, I was only on 4 - 4.5 (around like 10:30 on a clock) on the master volume as I found that’s the sweetspot for the sound I’m going for on my 50watt EVH.

The profiled amp has more subs than the real amp, you can hear it on all systems, including headphones. My concern is because of the complaints of lack of subs they jacked them up in an update. I remember years ago they removed the option for bass boost. Is there something that changed that makes a 5150 III EL34 harder to profile than before? ckemper ?

The only way I can even reduce them is during the refining phase to place a physical EQ between the amp and the Kemper and cut out everything with a 12db high pass filter above 120hz . Something is going on, I’m very familiar with the Kemper (owned since 2015) and profiled many many amps over the years. As you said, before my only issue was lack of bass, now it’s overboard in the subs.

I’m getting tons of sub bass that isn’t in the original amp (5150 III) before and after refining. Not using any pedals in front, just the straight amp into a Suhr Reactive Load IR. I have to use an EQ to high pass everything up to 120hz or above to even get it in the ball park, then it has no balls. Did a recent update change accuracy? I listen to profiles i made before that didn’t have any problems like this. (I’ve owned it since 2015, profiled many amps and Yes, I factory reset all the settings etc etc). There is definitely something going on, I’ve seen many reports on other forums of extra sub bass being added. I thought maybe it was a problem for the Kemper using the reactive load box/IR so I miced up the amp and the same thing. I’ve profiled this amp before so they definitely changed something in the low end accuracy with the profiling process. I saw CK mentioned it doesn’t matter because it gets filtered anyway in a mix...well I don’t want Kemper making mixing choices for me, High passing a guitar that drastically to cut out the extra subs (a lot extra) causes phase issues and nueters the sound. What’s going on here??

I have a treated room and top of the line Adam A77x monitors, it’s not my monitoring or my set up. Running analog out into a Lynx Hilo convertor. It’s not “mic placement” because it happens on both the IR and the mic’ed version, plus even if it was, the extra sub bass would show up on the reference amp as well.

Happens with a reactive load/IR as well (no mic in that situation) regardless of which IR I select as well as micing up the cab. Also, the sub bass would appear in the reference amp as well if it was crappy mic placement.

I’m getting tons of sub bass that isn’t in the original amp (5150 III) before and after refining. Not using any pedals in front, just the straight amp into a Suhr Reactive Load IR. I have to use an EQ to high pass everything up to 120hz or above to even get it in the ball park, then it has no balls. Did a recent update change accuracy? I listen to profiles i made before that didn’t have any problems like this. (I’ve owned it since 2015, profiled many amps and Yes, I factory reset all the settings etc etc). There is definitely something going on, I’ve seen many reports on other forums of extra sub bass being added. I thought maybe it was a problem for the Kemper using the reactive load box/IR so I miced up the amp and the same thing. I’ve profiled this amp before so they definitely changed something in the low end accuracy with the profiling process. I saw CK mentioned it doesn’t matter because it gets filtered anyway in a mix...well I don’t want Kemper making mixing choices for me, High passing a guitar that drastically to cut out the extra subs (a lot extra) causes phase issues and nueters the sound. What’s going on here??

I’m getting tons of sub bass that isn’t in the original amp (5150 III) before and after refining. Not using any pedals in front, just the straight amp into a Suhr Reactive Load IR. I have to use an EQ to high pass everything up to 120hz to even get it in the ball park. Did a recent update change accuracy? I listen to profiles i made before that didn’t have any problems like this. (Yes, I factory reset all the settings etc etc). There is definitely something going on, I’ve seen many reports on other forums of extra sub bass being added. I thought maybe it was a problem for the Kemper using the reactive load box/IR so I miced up the amp and the same thing. I’ve profiled this amp before so they definitely changed something in the lowed accuracy with the profiling process. I saw CK mentioned it doesn’t matter because it gets filtered anyway in a mix...well I don’t want Kemper making mixing choices for me, HP a guitar that drastically to cut out the extra subs (a lot extra) causes phase issues. What’s going on here??