Posts by Antipodes

I agree on the screen size thing - a larger screen would eliminate the need to advance through so many pages in various parts of the OS - there are 16 and 18 pages in some areas IIRC. Having physical knobs - rotary encoders - for many parameters is really useful for tweaking while playing.. I really wouldn't want to lose that. The KPA as we know it - besides all the I/O- is a control surface for software and not having to do it all with touchscreens and/or increment/decrement buttons is actually a huge advantage for players.

No I don't think so. IMO Stereo live is "amateurish". Big time guitar players playing big arenas aren't stereo. One side would get shorted on sound like listening to Van Halen one with one speaker out. It would have no positive impact on the audience. Panning FX would at the board but there is no real point in doing it in clubs. At home, I love doing it but live I want a mono mix. The stereo part would come automatically with the room and your ears.

Funny thing about Eddy, he played live with 3 quadboxes side by side - set up as wet/dry/wet. Some FX were stereo between the outer two cabs.

The SD700 is rated at 700 watts RMS per channel into 4 ohms. People on forums have measured the output and confirmed that that is no exaggeration. There is no need to run the amp anywhere near that output level - it has a stereo volume pot and running it below 12 o'clock is where you will typically be operating unless you need loud stage volume levels. Of course, the amp is in its lowest distortion range at moderate power levels so basically what you are getting with all that power is a lot of clean headroom.

@ Frodebro

Just a note on efficiency ratings - 2 identical speakers/cabs sharing the same power as one alone will still be 3 dB louder. If one driver has an efficiency rating of (say) 100 dB at 1 watt, two will be 103 dB @ 1 watt.

If you look at Musicradar - plenty of new gear press releases from Fender and the usual suspects. It has been 18 months since the stage was released so perhaps there will be further announcements in this period or maybe later in the northern summer.

Is anyone able to point me to an easily digestible guide to help me understand all the wattages and ohms, in relations to speakers and power amps. I am but a simple man and wish to refrain from blowing my gear up.

I have an unpowered rack unit and I’m considering one of the SD powerstages and either placing 2 Kones or F12’s into a Port City 2x12. I’m leaning towards a stereo rig in order to take advantage of my TC Mimiq. Speaking of which, has anyone used their KPA and a Mimiq in conjunction by any chance? I’ve used the Mimiq through my DAW with surprisingly convincing results. LOVE that double or triple track sound 😍.

Anybody try Matrix power amps, while I’m asking?

Stereo Kones in a 2x12 works OK with the KPA and a stereo power amp. The Kone is 4 Ohm so you will need a stereo amp that drives a 4 ohm load - which the SD700 and many others will do. If you go with mono, you will want to connect the two Kones in series for an 8 Ohm load.

I was looking at the BAM200 at MF and read multiple reviews that complained it has no power and they doubt the 200W claim. They say it seems more like 30 or 40W and would only be good for maybe an acoustic gig. Would this be because they're going through higher ohm speakers maybe? Those that use it with the KONE seem pretty thrilled and I don't recall any power complaints. Is it adequate power for a large venue?

Volume really depends as much on speaker efficiency as power output. The Kone speaker is about 98dB efficient if the comparable Celestion is anything to go by. A pair would be 101 dB at one watt and 4 would be 104 dB at 1 watt. So you would have to wonder what cabs bass players were driving with it and what amps they were comparing it with.

The other salient point: the way human hearing works (see Fletcher Munson curve) - bass frequencies need heaps more power to generate the same perceived volume levels as mid frequencies. Mid range guitar signals are right in the zone where the sensitivity peaks for human hearing so we hear guitars loud and clear with modest amp power. 1000 watt bass amps are commonplace, a 100 watt Plexi can - if I might borrow a phrase from Spinal Tap - make your eardrums bleed.

The BAM was mentioned by CK as an economical option to drive the Kone. A bunch of forum dwellers jumped on it and reported positive results. I guess TC is in the right position to push these units out onto the world market at an ecomical price.

No option to bypass the preamp unfortunately (no FX loop) so people are setting the pre for as flat a response as possible - some tips on that here in the forum.

As you say., other Class D options like the SD Powerstage units are more suitable on paper but more expensive for sure. The smaller ones (170/200 mono) run off an external power brick. The big kahuna - SD Powerstage 700 - is stereo but with a stereo volume pot so no adjustment of the gain on a per channel basis. They have useful tone controls and other features. The Icepower modules and the accessories necessary to use them are available but require some electonics skills for homebake use.

Understood, but the BAM is a bass amp at heart - not a Class D designed for this application or clean, neutral linear power. That said, if the OP likes it - it works. :)

https://www.tcelectronic.com/product.html?modelCode=P0DI5

Ultra-Compact 200 Watt Bass Head with Class-D Amp Technology

BAM has a preamp optimised for bass with a Class D power amp. That is the only practical way to achieve such high power in such a compact design. No need for big power transformers etc.

Unless I am missing something, the only way to access the stored FX presets for a particular effect (eg Kemper Drive) is by scrolling down to the presets area and selecting from the named presets stored there.

Right Click on the FX module loaded in a slot only allows you to select alternative FX for that slot, not a different preset for that particular module. Bringing up a list of stored presets for that particular module (eg a list of saved presets for Kemper Drive when that effect module was selected) would be a great time saver.

Using the mod keys (Alt, Ctrl or Shift Click on PC) would mean you could access the relevant presets direct from the FX block in the editor. Something like double click or long click would facilitate doing this one handed. If I am in the editor, I am usually juggling a guitar or bass and I never entirely trust straps.

Would you be willing to try disabling any auto-sleep settings? If it makes no difference then you could turn them back on, so no loss.

The laptop is an i7 quadcore/16GB RAM desktop replacement job - and it stays plugged in. I just checked and the power scheme is "sleep -> never" when plugged in. As I recall, I used this same machine a lot for a month or two a couple of years back and on an off since with RM 2.x and never had any issues.

It sounds like a disk-access issue, such as when it goes to sleep and the app has to wait for spin-up.

Could this be it?

Interesting thought - I think the power scheme is pretty tilted to performance though. The main thing mitigating against this idea is that the directory I am copying from (in Win Explorer) is on the same system drive as the Kemper RM database so I am (successfully) accessing that drive to copy the files and then accessing it again a few seconds later with the attempt to paste a copy of the files into RM.

I tend to leave Rig Manager running all the time on a Win 8.1 laptop. On my Win 7 laptop, older editions prior to v3 and the editor were fine with this.

With v3.x, I find that RM (and maybe the editor) continue to work for browsing BUT if I want to add a new folder and import some rigs into that folder RM (copying and pasting from Windows Explorer), I just get a busy sign and the alterations to the RM database fail.

I close and restart RM and repeat the operation then everything works. Seems like 24 hours running is too much. Connecting and reconnecting the KPA makes no difference. I reported this issue to support but they cannot replicate it apparently. Anyone else see this behaviour?

Sure, that‘s the way it is.

But keep in mind, that overdrives are also widely used to shape metal sounds.

Hi Chris,

I am loving the new drives, the Fulltone model is phenomenal, but I wondered if you were interested in modelling tube overdrives like the Butler Tube Overdrive pedal which run a 12AX7 with proper plate voltages.