Posts by Antipodes

This set really is phenomenal. I have only played with single coils so far but the tone has everything - thickness and yet plenty of cut in the treble without being fizzy or over-bright. These are dynamite for SVR tones - hard to put the guitar down when you get going on these. The pedal boosted tones - and there is such a diversity - are great. I really had fun with the Rockett Chicken Soup tones.

The THRs are great for just practicing in any spare moment or playing whatever is on your mind. Instant on, leave it on one sound and just woodshed tunes or lines or whatever you are working on.

It sounds acceptable at very quiet volumes - you could have a baby asleep in the next room and still practice without cans. The freedom of wireless is great too - that is something the newer THR IIs offer.

I wonder if Kemper will offer built in wireless at some stage. Built in wireless input and output supporting in ear monitors would be fantastic.

Is there any plan - in the forseeable future - to support wifi connection to the KPA from Mac/PC computers? If it works on the iPad, seems like this is quite feasible. Things like the QR code based connection might need workarounds but computers with pointing devices and keyboards can easily work with connection settings..

That interaction between the acoustic sound and the sound from your amplification is definitely a thing - particularly at low levels. Our brains pay a lot of attention to the onset of sounds and the direct acoustic sound arrives first at the ear and when you exclude it significantly with sealed headphones etc you get a different result. The recorded sound on playback lacks the acoustic element unless you mic the instrument directly as some jazz archtop players do.

BTW in my post above I made a typo - I referred to putting medium gauge strings (eg 52=11 D'Addario EXL 116s) on an LP - I meant to say the 335 of course. Bigger strings are going to help excite the top more strongly at modest volumes and generally sound bigger and warmer and darker than light strings - and they sustain better too. Serious jazz types often put heavy flat wound strings (eg56-13) on their archtops - sometimes with shorter scale lengths - to get the classic jazz sounds.

The 335 isn't a full hollowbody with the bridge attached to the top and the strings anchored via a tailpiece to the edge of the top - like a 330 or some of the other early Gibsons. It has a solid block down the full length of the middle of the body with the bridge attached through the top to that block and the strings anchored close behind the bridge. It is only a semi-hollow but it does get some extra resonances from the much larger body and the two the hollow chambers either side of the block.

I once listened to a demo a guy did on Youtube of a 335, a 339 (same general idea but with a smaller body) and a Les Paul. The progession from the darker bassier tone of the 335 to the brighter less bass heavy tone of the Les Paul was clearly audible across the three with the 339 intermediate in tone. If you put 52-11s (egt D'addario 116s) on a Les Paul you will get plenty of warm lower end response. Played clean through something like a Fender Twin, it would sound nothing like an LP with 008s on it.

Clapton played the very well known solo on Crossroads live (from Wheels of Fire) on a 335. I gather he used pretty light strings - certainly he did back in the Beano period - I have read that at that time he used a standard electric set (originally with a wound G etc) moved across one string (so the origanal set's A string used as the 6th string E and so on) and banjo 008 for the 1st string.

I do that all the time. :)

I am reliably informed that there are whole businesses dedicated entirely to supply of such gear.;)

More seriously, I would think that you could mic the Kabinet from a distance with a LD condenser mic or a Ribbon mic without problems. It is close micing that would be problematic but close micing is often necessary to get separation when in close proximity to other instruments (drums, bass, other guitar amps etc).

Working great for me. I've got the Toaster sync'd to my PayPal and iCloud accounts so I can purchase profiles and retrieve tones in real time. Siri implementation is rolling out next week.

Don't all those adverts scrolling across the screen and the interruptions to your playing for those "messages from our sponsors" drive you nuts?

I don't use social media either but have found HW to be a pretty reliable correspondent on email. I updated my everything pack a few times in the past but lately I have jumped on the generous discounts TJ have offered periodically. Due to this, I haven't needed to contact him about updates in recent months but I would keep trying - he is a busy guy.

The Tube Driver is effectively another guitar pre-amp with tube stages and a tone stack. It is probably something you could profile - it would be interesting to hear how well that worked out. You would need a profiler that could run profiles in series though to use it with a profiled amp.

Alternatively, it could be modelled but it might be fairly DSP intensive - perhaps more than most of the other effects besides maybe the reverbs. The circuit is nothing like any of the transparent boosts or tube screamers - I doubt there is a clean path for the signal in parallel with distortion.

Edit - Sorry - my fault - hadn't booted Rig Manager in a few days so it didn't show. Will definitely check the three new ones out - liked your older ones so thanks for sharing over the years.

(Just a thought. It is worth posting profiles you are putting up for comment or to share directly into the thread - just add the file at the bottom of your post and you can see the number of downloads and get people to try it easily.)

What about a wifi usb dongle? I have one for my projector and it creates an access point so my computer can connect directly and send video to the projector. That would be an elegant solution for older profilers. Surely it can be done in software??

Kemper Remote is powered off the Eithernet port - so there is power there. USB interface also supports power out. So a dongle/router could possibly be powered off either. Interesting to see which way it goes.

I would think Remote into the router can work.

Yeah - that makes sense to me and setting up performances etc using the remote is definitely on the menu for performers using the editor so to do otherwise would be a bad step forthe functionality of the editor.

I am wondering whether the PC and Mac versions of the editor can also use this sort of (network) connection to the toaster/rack models and the Stage of course. ie no need for a USB connection - wifi from computer to your router and then ethernet cable as long as you like (or even powerline connection) to the KPA.