Posts by Antipodes

I installed the 79 beta 2 of RM on a Win 8.1 machine. RM did not crash on startup as it did with beta 1 but the app window (opened fully ) remains mostly occupied by blank space. All the data (folder tree and currently open folder to the right) is located in the upper left quadrant - so bottom half of the screen is just the dark grey background colour and there nothing is nothing but grey background in the right third of the display. This is the appearance without synching RM to the KPA.

This is on Win 8.1 64 with 16 GB RAM and an i7 (haswell) with 1920x1080 FHD 17" laptop screen.

There are lots of Win 7 era machines that just don't run Windows 10 properly. If you're going to persist with it I recommend ensuring you have at least 8GB of RAM. I've got an old laptop from around 2008 that's been Win 10 for years and no issues. On the other hand we have older graphics workstations at work that just won't cope with it, even though they've got decent specs.

Win 10 will not install on anything before Ivy Bridge.

The whole Win 8/10 thing is counterproductive for Kemper IMO. Think about it. People have only so much disposable income. If they have to buy a new computer when they otherwise wouldn't need to, that is a chunk of change gone west that they could have used for something else. How many people would have to buy a new PC instead of a Kemper Stage to cancel any advantage the they got out of not having to support an OS still used on 400 million PCs?

Consider also you could buy a second hand PC with Win 7 for $100 US or less if you didn't have one or more of them lying around.

What about a potential switcher who currently edits patches on his/her GT1000/ Helix/AFX box from their Win 7 PC. Should they switch now that there is an Kemper editor? Well, hmm - they willl need a new PC AND the KPA. Suddenly, that is a steeper hill to climb. Hmm, maybe later.

The new RM build installs and runs OK from a clean install (no previous RM2 install) on a borrowed Win 10 machine but on the Win 8.1 machine I was planning to use it on (previously had RM2 on it) , RM3 beta crashes at the end of its startup routine.

The Windows error message fingers the editor (Appcrash, Rigmanager.exe) each time. I tried a repair install and rebooting - no dice. The crash happens without the KPA attached.

So - if I have a Win 7 machine and I install 7.16 on the Profiler ( to test RM 3 beta with another Win 8/10 machine) - will Rig Manager 3 beta or RM 2.3.14 running on Win 7 64 still work with the Profiler after OS 7.16 beta is installed?

There was talk that Win 7 would run the new RM but not the editing functions.

Kemper staff mentioned in this thread that they had a release candidate in preparation for internal testing. That is what the closed beta team will be evaluating. If it seems ready, a public beta will be released. This process is pretty standard for digital hardware products and computer software and will have been followed with all previous KPA OS updates of any significance.

OK thanks - that is interesting. Seems like getting the right channel from the main stereo outs is the way to go.

If they do build a KPA V2, having the power head version support stereo/mono operation - eg Stereo 300 W +300W /bridged Mono 600 W would be highly desireable given the quality reverbs and delays we have now.

Can the powered out and one of the main outs constitute a stereo pair (FX wise)?

So, in this hypothetical scenario, powered out takes left side of main stereo mix (minus cab) and main out right takes right side stereo mix (with cab).

Just a query on the power head: can you use the power head's powered output as part of a stereo pair - with a monitor out or line out. This would mean that you could drive a cab directly with one of the stereo channels and send the other side of the stero pair to a power amp + cab OR an FRFR monitor.

Ideally, you could set up a volume offset to match levels of the two channels of the stereo pair so that they could be controlled with the KPA volume knob.

No punctuation, huh? Interesting.

I suppose you could say it uses "and" as a form of punctuation: Each idea, which could stand as a sentence on its own, is joined to the next with "and". This sort of endless, run-on sentence mimics the verbal style of people on artificial stimulants.

Coffee anyone?

Toast ME doesn't support FX presets on 0S7 - they have shifted from an individual preset file format to a database format apparently. Otherwise it works from what Damien and others have reported.

The very idea, it's genius! ... Hypothetically speaking, of course ;-)

Pairing an HXFX with a stage would be a very good combination. Use MIDI to send PCs to the HXFX and you can call up a "board" that is set up for specific rigs/performances. The HXFX would be a much better choice for this than the Stomp, as the Stomp is mainly an amp modeler with effects, the HXFX is effects only and is designed for just such an application.

You can go the other way also: with the HXFX, you have a page called the command center (IIRC) where you can assign MIDI controls (PC, CC etc) to each patch/snapshot/footswitch on the HXFX. So you can use the HXFX to control the Stage whereas, at present the stomp does not have this facility. Stomp can send PC messages only.

Anyway - the point that the HXFX is well set up to work with the Stage is well made and the two units side by side is a pretty powerful combo.

HXFX has six buttons and supports 9 blocks for FX and routing. Stomp only has 3 buttons and supports 6 blocks. These have some good modulation and dynamics effects too. I think the HXFX is a good match with the Stage.

As to drives - more range and variety on the Line6 side as things stand - specific pedals are modelled .

Some new stomps coming to the KPA apparently (eg the already accidentally revealed SlowGear) but when we can't say. I would expect new info perhaps at Winter NAMM in January next year.

This would make a great Cure song!

Reminds me a little of Martin Sheen's monologue from Apocolypse Now as Captain Willard - supposedly in his hotel room in Saigon, getting blind drunk, attacking the mirror and talking about Charlie, out there in the jungle etc. ('zackly what his young son was doing out there in the jungle, I'll never know)