Posts by Antipodes

true what you say, but it works

Yeah - the ultimate arbiter is the user - if it sounds good, it is good. That's why I said try it. It will not match the original frequency balance like a good studio monitor will but then again, we listen to these things in all kinds of environments with far from perfect acoustics so the end result is often some sort of compromise where we are correcting the top/bottom end to get the sound we need.

Kone mode is not appropriate for other FRFR products - you could try it. Kone mode compensates for the non-flat frequency response of the Kone driver. Use the normal monitor out signal.

It can be problematic - for some - to monitor on speakers while recording. Or rather, the direct sound of the pick hitting the strings can skew the perception of the tone, making the recorded tone seem more dull/lifeless. That's why I asked.

But you say you've tried using headphones as well.

Very true. Our auditory perception of any sound is strongly influenced by the part of the sound that arrives first to our ears which will be the pick attack - which is particularly prominent at modest SPL. Enclosed headphones help (to some degree at least) screen out the pick sound which gives the sound a bright attack before the processed sound from the monitors or even the sound from of an amp some meters away arrives at the ear.

I always use S/PDIF to save an unnecessary D/A conversion.

Preamps on the XLR ins of your interface are often unable to be defeated so you can get some noise there. If you are going out analog, the output volume from the Kemper should be up full (unity gain) and no boost at the interface.

The possibility of a mismatch between stereo signal input and Mono track or panning issues are also something to consider as musicmad pointed out above.

The updates to all the stereo modulation effects are going to be H-U-G-E!

Another excellent NAMM demo from TJ and CK. Looking forward to messing with all of these myself.

The long march through all the effects has been very comprehensive and the quality of the new effects over the last 5 years has been inspiring.

My understanding from an interview with ckemper is, you take the bright channel and use the bright cap intensity to adjust until it fits.

That makes a lot of sense - the bright channel of an amp has some upper treble bypassing the volume control and going straight on through the audio path unattenuated. So, when the channels are blended as in the jumper situation, you have a mix of a signal without the added treble and the treble boosted signal. Just balancing the level of bright cap signal with pot achieves more or less the same thing. The Kemper solution is a virtual instance of the "pot on the bright cap" idea.

It's been a long time since...

... I rock-and-rolled
    It's been a long time since I did the Stroll
    Ooh, let me get it back, let me get it back, let me get it back
    mm-baby, where I come from
    It's been a long time, been a long time
    Been a long lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely time
    Yes, it has

It's been a long time since the book of love
    I can't count the tears of a life with no love
    A-carry me back, carry me back, carry me back
    mm-baby, where I come from,whoa-whoa, whoa-oh-oh-hoh
    Its been a long time, been a long time
    Been a long lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely time
    Ah, ah-ah, ah-ah

(Thanks a heap for these DG - have appreciated your profiles very much so these will no doubt go into high rotation.)

Kemper assumes all FX loops are mono.

If you send a loop a stereo signal it sums the two halves of the signal. I hope this is subject to change and have advocated for that change but support clarified some time back that FX loops are mono, even on the stage that has plenty of I/O that could you be used for send and return stereo signals.

The whole point of the Liquid profiles is that you can approach them as you would a real amp and adjust the gain and tone controls to get the sound you want - and the response of those controls will be realistic - not just like running an equaliser on a mixing board. Some profile vendors create different versions of HB and SC guitars at every gain level - eg Selah Sounds.

The Kemper has some very powerful parameters in the amp section which alter the response of profiles in profoundly and you can tweak profiles to suit your requirements. Dissatifaction with paid presets is very common on other platforms like the Helix/FAS modelers. The smart money is on customising the settings to suit your playing technique and instrument.

I tend to use single coils a lot with clean to edge of breakup profiles and I run my own FX settings in the post amp slots. I recommend using the Space parameters on the output as well - these really enhance the sound on headphones and create the sort of early reflections that we hear in a room environment. Close miced guitar amps are not realistic sounds in any way if you are comparing them with what you are used to hearing with a real amp in a room or on a stage. You need some room ambience at least and well designed delay and reverb patches can create all sorts of atmospherics to enhance a performance.