Posts by Antipodes

As for the Kemper discussion, I tend to agree adding a synth to the Kemper would make the profiler/amp part a bit too complicated for most users. I would rather see a separate unit dedicated to MIDI creation, etc. But I would not turn it down either if the price was right.

Kemper have offered variations on the basic model with the Power Rack/Power Head and more recently the Stage. An intregrated synth could also be an option.

Onother poster made the valid point about the control surface of the Virus keyboard being quite extensive. Guitar synthesists cannot play and operate a whole lot of buttons and controls at the same time. They are really limited to operating things like pedals and the whammy bar and maybe a breath controller. So the editing and patch design stuff is not really needed for performance - it is more properly part of preparation for performance and the Editor and maybe an optional control surface would have to suffice there.

@monkey man

The latency thing can involve the algorithm taking a larger window - which is analgous in a way to "lookahead" for a limiter in that it takes a larger chunk of the signal and is able to come up with a better solution to the problem at hand.

If it were merely a matter of taking more time to perform more calculations then increasing processor speed or more parallelism in the processing could make this happen faster over time. Roland gets both parallelism (six independent signals) and a simpler set of problems to solve with the Hex pickup method. There's is an elegant solution if you are prepared to go with the hex pickup - but they seem to be alone in taking that approach so far.

Its funny how the guitar synth thing had a lot of momentum in the 80s and here we are - 40 odd years later - and it seems pretty slow progress in some ways. John McLaughlin used a quite incredible rig with a 360 systems pitch to voltage setup for each string and six separate minimoogs on one of his albums from the early 80s. The Synclavier system that Pat Metheny was using in the mid 80s sounded quite amazing at the time. Those setups required a lot of tech people and $$$ whereas a Boss SY- 200 costs about as much as a boutique drive pedal.

I have to confess that I don't get the desire for "guitar synth" capabilities, to be honest.

Get a synth (and a keyboarder) and you'll get better (and more versatile) results.

Some people have keyboard chops and some don't. The expressive capabilities that guitarists have with variations in picking attack and muting of notes plus finger and trem vibrato and pitch bending techniques and the ability to bend polyphonic stuff into tune with their fingers - all of this stuff becomes available with guitar synth. It definitely has its market.

Roland have their hex pickups which gives some very powerful capabilities - true polyphony and all manner of tuning options etc. I imagine they might license that stuff and maybe the patent has lapsed in any case. Nobody else seems to want to go that route - hex pickups on regular guitars. The other route is dedicated instruments that mimic the guitar but are in fact digital control surfaces with guitar like features. Some of those have appeared at the NAMM show etc over the years - not sure how many of those projects are extant.

What remains is what Roland are doing with the SY series (only the flagship model, the SY-1200, has both hex and regular inputs) and numerous pedal companies are doing - synth sounds directly off 1/4 inch guitar leads. I would be surprised if Kemper couldn't use the DSP skills base they have to make a competitive product in that domain should they so choose.

No it wouldn’t. You basically need two complete Profilers to support two amps.

As for keeping Up with the Joneses. Kempers history pretty much says they couldn’t care less from that perspective.

10+ years with the exact same hardware? They simply don’t care what the others are doing. If it isn’t innovative….they aren’t interested.

Two complete profilers? There is only one DSP chip in a profiler AFAIK. Two of them or the equivalent in the one box would do everything DSP wise that two profilers can do.

I never implied that Kemper were interested in keeping up with the Joneses. It is obvious from this thread and many similar discussions here and elsewhere that a proportion of their customer base are interested in getting the feature set available in the competing products.

I really hope we don't get a touch screen. A touch screen belongs in my hands because every touch screen I've tried that isn't on my phone feels clunky and horrible. I must be in the minority who actually thinks that the Kemper UI is well thought out and very good. And as a UX designer, perhaps I should be worried!

Yes. In cycle computers for example, the top models from Garmin etc have touch screens and resemble smart phones but are nothing like as snappy in response. New customers are often a little surprised that they can't navigate so quickly on one because it is slow to catch up. If you are going that way, you have a more fragile device with a clumsier user interface than the rotary encoders which are fast and precise. What isn't fast is stepping through 18 pages in the output section on the toaster. The editor fixes that. Generalising editing functions to more mobile devices than the iPad might be a good workaround. Support for iPhone and Android phone would make touchscreen based adjustments accessible to a huge chunk of their customer base.

Maybe you have tried already but it is worth checking alternative connections. Sometimes a device will not work or be recognised when plugged into in a particular port or a particular cable starts acting up. It is worth trying other ports and cables.

If you look at your hardware in device manager you can usually see that there are multiple USB hubs on a PC system. You might get some information about what is going on with the USB port you are using there. The other thing is that you can remove or disable a hub in device manager and then Windows will find it again after a reboot and functionality which has gone AWOL temporarily will return. I have followed directions of this kind from online windows problem solving sites (possibly Microsoft) to get a thumb drive going again but not the KPA.

@schecter71

You have to have Kemper Kone mode enabled in the output section and connect your cab to the monitor out. If you are wiring 2 Kones for mono in a 2x12 you have to have them wired in series (4 Ohms+4Ohms = 8 Ohms) not parallel which would give you 2 Ohms - which is too low for most power amps and the KPA powerhead.

If you are driving the Kones with a stereo power amp you can have two inputs on the cab with one Kone wired to each and that will give you 2 separate 4 Ohm loads which will be fine for most solid state and tube power amps. The older Kemper formats (Toaster/Rack) support stereo outputs for the Kones but you need to use the direct output for the second channel and you can't run a stereo FX loop if you do so. The Stage supports stereo Monitor out without losing any FX loop options.

Best is to use a PC or Mac attached by USB to host the full version of Rig Manager that is hosted on the Kemper site. You can store all your rigs and audition them and edit them from Rig Manager.

There is a recently released editor for the currently loaded patch that works with iPad via wifi for the Stage only. Some users are developing workarounds for the older (Toaster/Rack) versions of the KPA but these are not directly supported by Kemper at this stage AFAIK.

I guess most of us have had occasion to spend time navigating through lists/folders of profiles in Rig Manager. Doing this means tapping the keyboard or using the mouse to step up and down a list of profiles or performances in Rig Manager.

What if we had the option to use the foot buttons on the Remote/Stage to step up and down the list in Rig Manager or from folder to folder in the list? You could work your way through a set of profiles you are working with without even taking your hands off the guitar.

This could just be an optional mode which would allow you to navigate RM in the same way you can navigate onboard profiles/performances . Activate it with a combination of switches and this mode would only operate when Rig Manager was connected.

Excited for the ADA MP-1 pack. Which speaker/mics are in it and what power amp? Mine has been at a tech guys shop for a couple of months and I really miss it sometimes...

Bert doesn't mention the power amp as far as I can see - Cabs/drivers include a Marshall 1960 quadbox with 4x12 Greenbacks, another (Mars) 4x12 with Blackbacks, a 1x12 with a Creamback H (Bert's cab), a Jackson Newcastle 30 cab and a Bogner 2x12 with V30s. So most of these will be familiar from previous profiling extravaganzas - IOW the usual suspects from Bert's earlier packs.

The result of any Eq circuitry or DSP can be measured and recreated by convolution and deconvolution techniques. Think of cabinet IRs. All they do is enable us to recreate the complex frequency response of a guitar speaker.

The static convolution method is unable to capture non-linear aspects of the response but it is debatable how critical those aspects are. Dynamic convolution techniques could capture other aspects of a cabinet response (or of the Imprints if they have non-linear aspects). There is some debate as to whether the results of dynamic convotion techniques are in practice any better than the usual IRs.

I don't think any other company would be likely to take advantage of the above and piggyback on kemper's technology. They may be liable legally if they did and in any case they would be publicising a competitors work. So I guess the manufacturers will all develop their own incompatible brand of special sauce and hope that you buy into their product system.

Standards allow interoperability and patentable tech can allow revenue sharing between the various creators. Quite possibly, there is nothing patentable in speaker response IRs or DSP code so unless it was directly copied rather than captured no infringement would be possible.