Posts by Antipodes

Yes its either .47 or .22 depending on which version (almost all .47) but with a fixed 6.8k resistor rather than pot. The web page I linked to shows the full schematic and talks it through in a way that an idiot like me can almost understand 🤣

Thanks for that page - lots of good stuff. Three band tone stack circuit for the Showman is included further down. The mid pot is 10kOhm and the bottom of that pot runs to ground. Interesting to see how that network is set up - the signal forward from the tone stack to the volume control and on is fed from the wipe of the treble pot. The bottom of that pot gets some portion of the signals from the bass and mid caps and the top of that pot gets the signal from the treble cap. I recall that if you turn all the tone pots to zero on amps like this the amp is silent - all the signal is wasted to ground no matter what the volume settings.

Thanks.

It looks like that crate and the Blackface Fenders (including 0.22 mod in the Super Reverb) also share the same 250k pot values for bass and treble. I think all the two knob channels have a fixed 6.8k fixed resistor for mids while the three knob channels have a 10k linear pot for mids which means that at 68% of its travel it is acting like the fixed resistor in the 2 knob channels.

OK - so does a B/T two knob tone network have a third cap in the network for the mids?

The pot value matters just as much. On the typical Fender/Boogie BMT tonestack the mid pot has a low value (10kOhm from memory) compared to the other two. The cutoff freq for an RC filter is 1/2piRC so the cutoff freq is inversely proportional to both the cap value (in Farads) and the R value in Ohms.

I suspect the focus will shift to different mic placements, different mic's etc.

Excellent point - the idea that one profile would suffice ignores the diversity of techniques for capturing cabs and the diversity of cabs/speakers that you could use with a given amplifier. You may well need to capture fewer gain levels for a given setup but a package of profiles might still involve a vendor using a diversity of different cabs and mics in capturing a set of profiles of a given amp.

So, is it worth saving as a different file, or do the restore buttons cover that by allowing you to revert to the old version, or something else?

Yeah, sure save as a different file and then the original version is preserved. When saving the modified profile under a new name I would want to have the name indicate that the profile is a Liquid Profile.

Well, but if you use rigs from the Rigmanager or professional bought rigs, you'll never know the original settings.
    ;)

Some vendors used to sell profile sets with all the gain and tone control levels included in an accompanying document. I don't recall seeing this in recent years but I suspect that some of the early profile vendors anticipated this LP development would be coming a lot sooner as the possibility was canvassed by Kemper over a decade ago.

Can you? To be honest I'm not close enough to it. I though LP's were like speaker imprints, pre loaded by Kemper which you then switch on and choose what profile to apply it to ( hence the requests list of LP's).

Have I misunderstood?

You may have been thinking - correctly - that we can't create our own new tone stacks - we can only choose one of the supplied ones. Otherwise we are free to create profiles and use the new tonestacks to render our own "liquid" profiles - liquid in that they can be operated with the authentic tone and gain controls.

I am connected my Stage to a powered Kabinet--a speaker so I use a speaker cable, right? Nope, manual says instrument cable. :) Fun times.

You might want to think of it this way: The Stage is a pre-amp which sends out a line level signal. The input of the Power Kab is an input to a power amp. So connect them with a cable designed for line level - eg an instrument cable - as you would between any pre and power amp.

A correction is applied to the Aux in - you can play backing tracks or whatever you want through the Aux in and the correction will be applied to make the Kab/Power Cab act like a monitor. This is no secret.

You absolutely cannot rely on Chat GPT for this sort of thing. If it lacks specific information for the device you inquire about, it will simply substitute - word for word - information from - say - the manual or an online discussion about another device it identifies as being in the same general category. It will not tell you that it did this or where it got the information. I would think of the Stage as a pretty expensive device to leave running just to listen to youtube talk shows or podcasts when you could buy an interface for less than 10 percent of the price of the stage that would do just as well.

Burkhard - users may wish to record their KPA using the USB/SPDIF no matter what the configuration. Having options to go out to another stereo effects unit - or a whole chain of them - and then come back to the KPA and use the Kemper stereo fx after external modulation effects (for example) and then exit in the digital domain via USB or SPDIF to your DAW.

Consider also the possibility of not wasting the KPA's stereo FX slots with [send/return units]. Allow the user to retain all 4 post amp section slots for the internal effects and insert a [stereo send/return] circuit in between the slots at a location chosen by the user from a menu.

We do this with the space effect on the output - an effect is applied in this case but no wasted slot - excellent idea it was too.