Posts by Antipodes

Mid Gains from yesterday are great - very nice with an LP. I will work some more with the cleaner ones - they might need a volume boost to match the others to get a good comparison. The Bright set from today are good also - can see them working in a mix too. They sound pretty good with the neck/mid combo and also with the neck pickup on my LP. I agree on the 3GS profiles - they have pots of punch and clarity. The V30 works very well with these latest two sets (mid gains and brighter from today).

These are really excellent. Liam has done us proud here. More mid gain profiles etc would definitely be cool.

I tried a more old school cab on these (both the DIs and some of the others) with great results - I borrowed a 1960a cab with 70s era 25w greenbacks from a profile on RE (1959RR Ch2 Vol 6 by David Gerard Burns). It is miced with a single 57 and does the business on Marshalls pretty consistently. Between the V30 sound and the GB sound this amp covers a massive amount of ground.

Just thought I would mention this profile which has been uploaded on RE. It has a Celestion FIllmore speaker in the 1x12 combo cab, miced with a TUL G12. I quite like the profile and the cab works really well on all kinds of Boogie profiles - great on Lone Star and Mk III etc. Thanks to Bluesfan for uploading - seems like it is his first on RE.

The Celestion Fillmore - interesting speaker - hadn't heard of these before but they are the subject of some discussion on the boards.

Would be great, but I'm afraid that the internal communication for buttons, LEDs and remote control is not based on midi commands and cannot be transferred to the KPA's USB-in/out communication.

You would need some sort of translation layer built into the KPA OS to interpret MIDI info for the hardware.

@KPmole has a point though. If his input meter shows that his profile is not quieter through spdif into his daw, why are you pointing out his profile is overly quiet?

I think he’s just interested in why you’re finding a difference @Antipodes. :)

There seems to be quite a range of volumes for profiles. Some commercial packs have very quiet clean profiles and as the gain gets turned up the hotter profiles are progressively lounder. I use cleaner profiles quite a bit and often they are a little quieter than most - so I find myself cranking levels on my RME interface which is connected via SPDIF. This interface has the output level in dB relative to max output (00) displayed in on the front panel. Switch to a louder profile after cranking levels to accomodate a quieter one and you can get a nasty shock ;)

My comment wasn't a criticism - I was just exploring using the amp parameters to tweak the profile for my purposes. With my tele up to full volume this profile is not too quiet - the level is fine. However, I wanted to explore the cleaner end of this particular profile - backing off volume at the guitar and with the Compressor parameter at zero as the profile was saved, this profile was a little too quiet for me. I was also working with Grimoires 5e3 profiles from RE and they were - generally - cleaner and also pretty quiet. I shared that bit of advice in case anyone else wanted to adjust profile volumes in the way that had just worked for me.

After that, I saw that Don Peterson (mod) posted in the Champ thread:

"you guys probably already know this, but to make sure:

If you enjoy playing your amp/Profile wide open and use the volume
    control of your guitar to shape the sound, the 'Compressor' parameter in
    the AMPLIFIER section (page 1) was made with just this is mind. It
    helps to minimize the volume differences between dirty and clean sounds
    you create with the volume pot."

The approach Don is suggesting - crank the Compressor parameter to reduce the volume drop when backing off the guitar volume - is an even better solution for a profile like this which is fairly dirty at full guitar volume but cleans up with backed off instrument volume. With clean profiles - (Gain 0) you could go either way if you wanted them a bit louder - you could increase the volujme or increase the compressor parameter or experiement with a bit of both.

BTW - let me just add - this profile is really sweet with single coils and I really appreciate KPmole sharing it and the OP for drawing it to our attention.

The volume setting I am talking about is in the deeper parameters of the AMPLIFIER section of a profile - I'll walk you through it - these details are worth knowing for anyone tweaking any profile.

If you hold down the AMPLIFIER button on the KPA (top left in the Stack area) you bring up all the parameters that apply to the currently loaded amp profile. You can step through the pages (3) and see all the parameters. The 1st page has - Definition, Power sagging, Pick and Compressor - the first 4 paramaters and they are mapped to the 4 rotary controllers under the graphical display.

Use the (right) page button to step to the 2nd page and you get Clarity, Tube Shape, Tube Bias and Direct Mix. Press the right page button again and you get to the 3rd page which only has Volume which is mapped to the right hand side rotary controller.

You can set a volume boost or cut of up to 12 dB and save it with the profile - either as a revision of the profile or as a new version with a new name (I often just put bst as a suffix to the existing name for ones that I have made louder).

This AMP volume is an inherent property of the profile and is completely independent of the playback volume controls. It gives you a way of volume matching profiles in a performance for example or for compensating for the fact that the profiling process has generated an undesirably loud or quiet profile.

If we had an editor on Mac or PC we could view all the parameters of a profile at a glance and mess with them to our heart's desire and save revisions off the KPA.

you guys probably already know this, but to make sure:

If you enjoy playing your amp/Profile wide open and use the volume control of your guitar to shape the sound, the 'Compressor' parameter in the AMPLIFIER section (page 1) was made with just this is mind. It helps to minimize the volume differences between dirty and clean sounds you create with the volume pot.

That is a great tip - particularly for these low gain amps. Thanks, Don.

Hi Antipodes,

I bought the American bundle 1, and its the High-Power Tweed pack, the comment tag says '1959 Fender 5F8-A Twin 80w', the speaker is Jensen P12Q 2x12

Thanks Rod,
    I have some of Jimi's earlier profiles of that amp - and the SoundSide set - will check them out again.

Thanks for these - the 1/2 power is very interesting. Anyone who finds these too quiet - just go into the AMP parameters and boost the volume - up to 12 dB and resave the profile.

Same goes for Grimoire's 5E3 Fender profiles - nice character but quieter (substantially) than most commercial profiles.

What a great set - JMP 1976 with 1960 cab. Thankyou Niels!

Niels also has an excellent "Blues Deluxe clean" profile on RE. Try the 1960 cab from the JMPs on that Blues Deluxe profile - sounds fantastic with my single coils.

Thanks to the OP (Old Crow) for posting this recommendation and to Niels of course for the wonderful profiles.

BTW - and the mic? An SM58! Just shows what can be done with that common as dirt vocal oriented mic (same capsule as the SM57 but different housing and behaviour as far as presence effect etc).

Searching Rig Exchange for "Champ" - should yeild some pretty good ones. Hays has a Fender Champ 67 on there that was very well profiled. A commercial pack with good champ profiles is the Tone Hawk set which profiled a 70s silver face champ. Not sure if these are exactly what you're looking for but I highly recommend the ones I've mentioned.

I recall some discussion somewhere (not here I don't think) about 700+ KHz sampling rate for the amp distortion section - which is 16 times oversampling. This sort of sampling rate is used internally in the plugin amp sim world too - eg Karzog Thermionik and in that developers limiters and clippers.