Posts by Antipodes

@Michael-dk
    OK - but once you have switched cabs on the same amp section- the saved result is effectively a merged profile - this should be exactly so in the case where you switch to a DA or merged profile and approximately so (within the limits of the Kemper algorithm for splitting the amp and cab contribution) in the case where you attach your cab of interest to a studio profile.

I saved the 3 cabs (1, 1.1 and 2) on your Plexed 8.1 profile from another pack. The cabs sound different - 1 and 2 sound different with 2 being crisper. Cab 2 sounds fantastic with your Plexi profile. I'm using an LP for the test.

I think what you are observing makes sense. If you are driving the speakers pretty hard they will be distorting the signal to some degree AND are going to be excited differently with different settings => different spectra coming from the amp.

@Michael_dk - what I do is simply lock on the cab I am interested in and browse to any profile (studio, direct or merged). I save the combination with a new name - I edit the original name adding a suffix to indicate what cab was used (so M1 M1.1 and M2 in this case).

Tim - gotta say - this is an excellent idea. I've been testing your cabs with other profiles with great results. Your JBL D130f cab - for example - is a great cab for all kinds of profiles. If these cabs were all attached to a couple of amps as merged profiles, your purchasers could mix and match as they pleased. Bring it on, I say.

As it stands, we can't browse cabs directly from Rig Manager - we await an editor - so the merged route is better I think than trying to install cabs from a memory stick and then have to browse them on the KPA GUI.

I've been checking out some of Matt's newer profile packs. It is no secret that Matt made a big step up with his profiling techique and gear with the BE 100 pack last year and pretty much all the packs since then (including his JMPee and Vox AC30 sets) use a range of mostly 4x12 cabs with most of the sought after drivers (V30, Lynchback, Alnico Blue, Creamback, Greenback etc). These are profiled with stepwise gradations of gain and, notably, a pretty comprehensive coverage of the low and mid gain areas which are often a little neglected by the more metal oriented profilers.

Many of Matt's profile sets are from his own preamp modules for the 100 watt Randall MTS modular amp head.

The Vishnu set covers a range of 80s Marshall style tones from the Brahma (hotrod plexi) and JCM 800 channels. This preamp allows for these two channels to be combined and there is a set of profiles of the combined channel tones at all the gain levels included. A set of direct profiles of all channels and gain levels is included making 60 plus profiles in all.

I mainly use a Les Paul or a Strat for these sorts of sounds and found plenty of profiles that worked for me across the gain range on both neck and bridge pickups. The clean and lower gain profiles made finding great blues and classic rock tones easy.

The Camerock 2.0 set is from another of his preamp modules - this time a hardware emulation of the Cameron CCV. This set - which was redone in Feb this year nails the tone of these amps - I compared them with some pretty impressive CCV profiles have been shared on the forum/RE over the last year or so but here in this set the full gain range is covered with a range of drivers - in a Bogner 4x12. These worked a treat for me with single coils and humbucker with thick powerful tones on tap in the mid to high gain range. Drivers used include the Greenback, Lynchback, Classic Lead 80, Alnico Blue, V30 and Greenback.

This set made a great match for my maple neck strat - really made me want to keep playing,

While I'm on the modules, Let me put in a word for the Loneclean set which I've been using for 12 months or more by now. This module recreates the Mesa Lonestar clean channel sound. This is one of my favourite clean amp tones - up there with the best like the Freidman clean channel (BE, Buxom Betty) and classic Fender clean tones. Andy Timmons has used the Lone Star Classic clean sound with single coils in a lot of his music - check him out on youtube.

The Loneclean module is far from a one trick pony - it has several modes/voicings (Texas/warm/Tweed etc) which can be switched in - and was profiled with the usual range of cabs: CL 80s, Lynchbacks. V30s and Alnico Blues. I get great tones with P90s and Strat single coils and warm modern jazzy tones with humbuckers - a nice amp for PRS players too.

It is instructive to look at the waveform of an S/PDIF signal on a CRO.

http://www.jacquesstompboxes.com/oscsiemens.JPG

[Blocked Image: http://www.jacquesstompboxes.com/oscsiemens.JPG]

It is - more or less - a stream of "square" pulses. The cable acts as an RC filter with R in series and C in parallel - so it is a low pass filter. The sharp corners on a square wave will get progressively more rounded off as the higher frequencies are rolled off by the filter - attenuate them too far and you cannot read the digital data any longer => no sync.

The idea of trying to make the cab neutral is on the right track but you can only go so far with that approach. Just because you have lined/packed a cabinet with foam or some other acoustic absorbtion material does not mean that it's volume, dimensions and any ports have no impact on the sound whatsoever.

The cab will still have some resonances and the air in it will interact with the diaphragm of the speaker and if it has any ports they are going to factor in also. The solid material of the cab - ply, particle board, solid timber etc - is also going to have acoustic properties which will contribute to the sound especially at high volumes. No two enclosure designs will sound the same.

I must add that I am intrigued by this speaker and the potential for roll your own FRFR. It will be interesting to see how people go with their experiments with this driver and no doubt it will feature in some commercial cabs.

Yeah mate, Fender amps haven't really been the ones I've tended to gravitate towards as much as some others, but thought I'd give it a go. Soon as i plugged my alt T in with the first profile it just fit like a glove, pure joy. Look forward to spending some time with the update when I get back home on Thurs.

The crunch tones on this set are really sweet - the range of cabs gives some useful variation and I find every one of these profiles usable out of the box.

These classic tones are the precursors to modern amp sounds. It is worth remembering that before there was Marshall there was Fender - that's what Hendrix played before he called in on Jim Marshall in London. Jim Marshall went to school on the Bassman and his circuits were a direct progression from Leo Fender's.

This is an excellent pack now, Tim. Really nice work with all the new cabs for this set - you've outdone yourself.

In fact, if you want to make like a mad scientist and lock these cabs on the KPA, they work really well with other Fender style amp profiles. I tried them with several other amp profiles - eg there's a new freebie 65 Deluxe profile on RE by Rikard Lindqvist and your M160 D130f cab sounds superb with that amp. The Creamback, Al Blue and WGS etc have loads of character and are all very useful with clean to moderate gain amps. Anyone with a bunch of M Britt profiles might like to try these cabs as substitues for his many profiles with CL80 based cabs. His Lonestar profiles (Cal Texan pk3) sound so good with these cabs. Just sayin'.

Well line level doesn't really matter so much - this unbalanced circuit (running from the monitor out to a cab via a guitar cable) has pretty significant limitations as soon as the cable length is more than a few feet.

A guitar cable with 1/4" jacks will damp the high frequencies progressively more the longer the cable run. In theory, the cable acts as an RC low pass filter where C = capacitance (which will have a value per meter of cable - as the links below show, the capacitance per foot of different cables varies quite a bit) and R is resistance (which will also increase per meter). The jacks themselves also have capacitance. The same sorts of considerations apply when connecting hifi components with RCA leads.

Treble response will have a resonance peak at the roll off frequency of the filter (rolloff frequency in Hz will be 1/2πRC) and will decrease after that at ~ 12 dB per octave. Here's some graphs and a couple of links on this stuff:

[Blocked Image: http://www.shootoutguitarcable…tar-cable-equilibrium.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://zerocapcable.com/wordpr…ds/2015/11/cablecap51.gif]

http://zerocapcable.com/?page_id=209

http://www.shootoutguitarcable…e-resonant-frequency.html

Just a quick update...

As it turns out, I accidentally, purely by ear, mated Keith Merrow's "Bog People" amp with his "Normals" cab. The tone and response is pure heaven to my ears, even though I'm finding his music is more like pure H3LL. :D It's actually really good.

I was trying to check this recommendation out but in the Factory set the "Bog People" profile has the Laney Ironheart amp and the Normals 2x12 cab. Was this the combo you were referring to?

That's not a good idea - even they are free for given the email adress.Only the author should down load ro RE - isn't it?

BTW: had a look at their side - sounds good :)

HI Sharry - I think Bluezzmoaner just means load them into RigMANAGER - so you can see the profile details.

Just to chime in on the love for the Two Rock beastie - I have the Tone Junkie TS1 set too and I am similarly impressed. Here's a rundown I was working on:

The TS1 set has 31 profiles with 17 on the clean channel and 14 on the lead channel. The Celestion G12 - 100K (https://celestion.com/product/19/g12k100/) is used for the entire set and contributes to the punch and the clarity of tone on this amp. The amp has switches for different voicings (rock/jazz), mid boost and bright switch.

The clean channel has quite a few clean / edge of breakup profiles with modest gain levels and these work really well for me with P90s/ Fender SC style pickups and HBs. The jazz voicings gave clear warm jazz tones with neck humbuckers. I think PRS players will love this amp. You can control the breakup with pick dynamics really well on this channel - very transparent with softer picking and the Dumble breakup
    character is there with hotter levels and transients.

The lead channel has been profiled with a range of gain and tone settings (switch combinations used are there in the profile names) and some profiles are driven with the Sparkle Drive which seems to work really well with this amp - on both channels. The gain levels go up to 7.3 so this set goes a little hotter than many TJ sets - I could get a range of powerful lead sounds with any pickups I tried.

As far as styles go, I would use it all day for funk, blues and roots styles and, with the flexibility on offer, you can cover jazz and rock styles without recourse to any external drives/stomp FX in the KPA.