Posts by scratch17

I have had a KPA since early 2014. I love the way that profiling sounds. But the KPA is losing ground rapidly to Fractal with the FX 3 and Line 6 with the Helix.

My patience is dwindling. If Kemper does not do an upgrade soon, I am going to check out the FX 3.

The KPA has really had no upgrades in processing or input/outputsince it first appeared. With Musikmesse 2018 about to start, will we get a unit with two modeling paths for true stereo output, so you could finally use two profiles at the same time?

And how about sampling rates on the S/PDIF bus up to 96 khz so use with an audio interface isn't constrained to 44.1 khz. A second digital in/out with flexible routing would be a nice added feature too. It would make connection to an out board effects unit a snap.

Should I use s/pdif or audio inputs? Also being new to the game... With the s/pdifs are they connected in to in or out to in? Sorry for the ignorance.

If you are recording at 44.1 khz, you can use S/PDIF with your audio interface. The Kemper can only output at that sample rate. You would need either an interface with sample rate conversion at its S/PDIF input, or a stand alone sample rate converter to record at any other sample rate.

To connect the KPA to your interface, use a coaxial cable designed for S/PDIF audio. Connect the KPA's output to your audio interface's S/PDIF input. It does not matter that the connection is digital. Out goes to In. In goes to Out.

Seems to me that if you are spending on a Helix, you'd be better off with a Fractal AX-8. That will give you great quality effects
    as well as the Fractal's amp and speaker sims to go with your Kemper. I have been wanting an FX2 to go with my Kemper,
    but I have greater need for other studio equipment at this point.

Don't get me wrong, I own and use a pair of Line 6 L2m FRFR cabs with my Kemper, so I am not brand biased. I just think you'd
    get more with the AX-8.

I think overall, all the FRFR solutions sound somewhat similar.

That is the point, isn't it? If you meet the criteria of full range with flat response the result should sound very similar,
    regardless of manufacturer. Differences should be minimal, except in the case of poor quality implementation of the design.

I use a Line 6 L2m for guitar with my KPA. I find it works really well. If you need to do bass as well, Line 6 makes a matching sub, the L3s. It has
    a pole mount built in, and connects to the L2m either with analog or digital cabling. The footprint of both is actually less than 1.5 square feet,
    so stage space is not an issue.

Both the L2m and L3s have DSP modes to do different amplification jobs. The sub has modes called 'extended' and 'ultra' bass. I haven't tried the sub
    personally, so I can't comment on it. Carrying both to a gig would not be fun. However, I haven't heard of a single cab setup that would cover the range
    you'd need to amplify guitar and bass.

You have a problem. Your guitar cannot use one cable to connect to both the Kemper and the outboard Countryman 85 DI. You can connect the guitar directly to the input on the KPA or the DI, but there is no way to connect to both with the Hi Z output of your guitar at the same time. Without adding hardware to split the signal from your guitar, you should use the KPA as your DI. Unfortunately, the Countryman 85 does not have a way to split your guitar's output.

I own a KPA, an Apollo 8 interface, and a Radial JDV Mk3 DI. I connect my guitar to the JDV. It has a balanced XLR output for its DI function. I connect that to a mic input on my Apollo. The JDV has a hard bypass (essentially a mult) output that I connect to one of my Apollo's Hi Z inputs. The bypass output has no buffer on it. I use the Apollo's Hi Z input as a DI so I can use UAD Unison amp sims and pedals. By using this setup, I get an unprocessed DI (via the JDV's XLR) and Unison processing through the Apollo's Hi Z input.

The JDV also has two outputs with what Radial calls a 'drag control'. It has a circuit that adjusts the output to very closely match the way my pickups react to amp loading. I use one of the outputs to connect to my KPA, the second goes to my pedalboard or my Mesa Boogie Rectifier Recording Preamp. I use standard guitar TS cables to connect the bypass to the Apollo and the buffered output to the KPA. I get great results this way.

Your KPA is unpowered, so to monitor it, you can either connect to a power amp and speakers, or to powered studio monitors or powered PA speakers. Since I have multiple signals going to my Line 6 L2M powered PA speakers, I use a Mackie Onyx mixer to integrate my KPA, Roland VG-99, etc.

If you plan to use a UAD Unison amp sim, you must connect your guitar to the Hi Z input on the Twin. You will get the Unison hardware and software interaction that way. Of course, you won't be able to connect to the KPA at the same time, unless you route the signal to the KPA via one of the Twin's outputs. If you do that, you will be doing an extra D/A and A/D conversion. Unfortunately, you do not have a choice with the equipment you have.

Dean_R said:

DVD audio is 48kzh and I think most people will hear a noticeable difference as I do.

DVDA maximum rates without Meridian Lossless Packing is 48 khz for 5.1 However, you can do 4.0 at 96khz even without MLP.

DVDA can be sampled at 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, (multichannel) and 192 (2 channel) khz rates with MLP.

You can use S/PDIF output on the Kemper with some audio interfaces which have sample rate conversion available on their S/PDIF inputs. My UA Apollo has this functionality. But the KPA must remain the master for that digital connection. SRC is also not available on the interface's input, so re-amping via the S/PDIF connection is not possible. The best solution is to use a separate sample rate converter.

So if we are dreaming...

I add one of these to my Brian Moore i213 in the neck position:

http://www.cycfi.com/projects/nu-series/

It is a full range (20 - 20 khz) active magnetic hex pickup intended for six channel use. Connect it to a breakout box and send the individual strings' audio streams to six KPAs.

Mix the six streams to stereo and use FRFR cabs to create the ultimate stereo KPA rig.

I actually do something similar with my one KPA.

The i213 has a piezo RMC hex pickup built in. It was designed for use with compatible 13 pin hex gear like the Roland VG series.

I connect the guitar to my RMC Fanout box and send each of the six string's audio streams into my DAW. Then I re-amp each stream using my KPA, my VG-99, or even a traditional re-amp through my Radial X-Amp, one string at a time. Finally, I mix to stereo.

When I want to keep the output acoustic sounding, I also use six instances of the UAD Woodworks plugin to make the piezo sound more like an acoustic guitar that has a mic on it.

One really sweet way to use this trick is to utilize the stereo piezo sound for (quasi) mid-side ambience with the direct sound of the guitar's mag pickups as the mid-side's mono center channel.

You can do amazing things with each string recorded dry on separate tracks.

I love the cabs in Studio and Merged Profiles. I can see a use for IR's with Direct Amp Profiles though.

I am also interested to hear what the UA OX Box cab emulations sound like with a DAP loaded into my KPA.
    Have to wait for late this year for that though.

Frankly, I think you are asking the wrong device, (the KPA) to send the message to the Integra.

If you had any decent MIDI footswitch, you could send messages to both the KPA and the Integra to get them to the
    parameter settings you want at the same time.

I have a very complex setup that includes analog and digital gear, all of which I can control with my RJM Mastermind GT.
    For what you want to do, the MMGT is overkill. But most moderately priced ($250 to $400) MIDI footswitch controllers can send combination
    messages with control change + MSB + LSB.

Check out the Keith McMillen Instruments Softstep, the Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro, and the Source Audio Soleman for example.

People, DO NOT put a DI box between your amp and cab before checking it can handle the voltage.

You need to buy a DI box or dummy load that can handle the wattage which is a $200 investment by minimum. You can't use just any $10 di box off the shelf, it's likely you'll destroy the box and your amp. Most DI boxes have been built to handle signal levels (0.1V-1V), not 100W power amps. Want to be safe? Get a load box with line out, like a Hot Plate, and put that between your amp and cab.

Want to be 100% sure you have a DI that can do the job safely? Get the Kemper from the online store. BTW I think I paid around $130 for mine.