Posts by scratch17

You guys are sorely missing out if you’ve never tried any of the Universal Audio stuff. It is eons above everything else I’ve got (Waves, Overloud, Neural).

I couldn't agree more.

I have evangelized use of a Kemper with UA plugins here before. There is a synergy when these two

are combined that is remarkable. Remember, the guitar, amp, and stomps are not the only path to great

guitar sound recordings. The complete path includes the mic(s) chosen with their placement on the speaker cab,

the console's channel strip and even tape can have a huge effect on the overall recording. That is where the UAD

plugins really shine.

Also, UAD plugins provide some really unique abilities not available on any other platform.

Here are some examples:

1. Sound Machine Woodworks. This plugin takes the piezo electric pickup from a guitar and makes it sound

much more like that of an acoustic guitar without a piezo pickup. If you like playing your acoustic or electric's

piezo output through the Kemper, you should consider this one.

2. The Townsend Labs Sphere L2 modeling mic software has native version of its included mic models. But if

you want the Bill Putnam Collection or the Ocean Way mic collection for the Sphere, these are only available

on the UAD platform.

3. Speaking of Ocean Way Studios, check out the OWS plugin's re-miking capability. Not to be confused with the

mic collection for the Townsend Sphere, OWS is a completely different plugin. It allows you to place the audio

into one of the rooms of the famed studio, choose from some amazing vintage mics and place them as you like.

It is similar to the Abbey Road Studios plugin from Waves, but the re-miking feature is amazing.

4. Capitol Chambers is a reverb plugin to die for, and unique to UAD.

There are so many others, too. These UAD plugins cover studio effects that range from compressors like the Manley Variable MU, EL Labs Distressor, DBX 160, to time based effects like the Korg SDD-3000, Dytronics Tri-Stereo Chorus, A/DA Flanger, tape emulations like the Studer A800 and Ampex ATR-102, and unique processors like the OTTO Biscuit 8-bit effects, Softube Vocoder and even the Moog Multi-mode filter.

Since the UAD plugins are hosted by the UA Apollo's DSP, you are looking at sub 2ms RTL. In essence, an Apollo can be used as an outboard effects processor for the Kemper.

And that doesn't include the Apollo platform's Unison technology that combines hardware and software to more accurately emulate the loading and gain staging of the models being utilized in your recordings.

Since most users here would use the Kemper for the tone stack, I haven't mentioned the guitar amp sims available on UAD. But it is important to note that many of these amp sims also have the ability to turn of the preamp, power amp and cab sim sections. So when placed in the correct order, the UAD and Kemper preamp, power amp and cabs can be combined with one another.

So you could, for example use the cabs from the UAD plugin of the Fuchs ODS 50 amp sim with a Kemper profile whose cab section was off. And you might decide to drop a Lexicon 480L reverb plugin before the Fuchs cab.

WRT the arguments on this thread, it is interesting that Kemper has issues with customers clamoring for an editor and UA has customers clamoring for plugin and Console 2 app MIDI implementation.

Yet the real point is that both companies have so many customers because their products are top quality as they are produced right now. Could providing these upgrades vastly improve their products? Absolutely!

But until the upgrades are made, you are "sorely missing out" if you don't try the Kemper and the UA

interface / plugin universe together.

Actually, I am talking about a limit of three to five knobs that would be profiled. Maybe master volume, gain and treble presence and bass.

Or the five band graphic EQ on a Mesa.

And I am not including anything involving built in time based effects like reverb, tremolo, delay, etc. Just tone parameters.

I realize that parameter modeling (AKA knob behavior) is not in the Kemper paradigm as of now.

However, I don't see why it could not be integrated as a separate mode of operation that could be added to the profile.

Kemper is adding the Kemper Kone technology, so why not add some parameter mapping for knobs to better recreate

the behavior of the amp that was profiled?

Yes, it would take some new coding to adapt the profiling process to capture how the parameter changes the amp's

sound as the amp knobs are turned. Even if just 3 knob types (EQ, gain and volume) were available, I'd be tickled.

Or, Kemper could simply use the component / circuit modelling technology for just the knob behavior of specific amps.

That would not really be sacrilege. Kemper Kone technology is likely using the same or at least a similar method to do

its magic. It isn't like the Kemper Kone technology will cover every speaker ever made.

I just don't see any reason why the two paradigms can't live together. Or even be mixed in a single profile.

Take for example a Fender Bandmaster. You could have a set of parameters that used the Bandmaster's treble, bass,

and volume knobs. But you could still have a gain parameter, which is available in the profile, but was never available

on the actual amp.

that`s why a profiling function for overdrive pedals would be awesome

so i bet it`s possible to make stompbox profiles too ...

Wow! The limit has always been and will always be one profile per Kemper.

Yes, you can make a profile of a pedal. Just the pedal, and nothing but the pedal. Use the Direct Amp Profiling method and substitute the pedal for the amp. Note that this does not work with time based pedals, and might yield bad results with a fuzz. But I've had good results profiling my Wheebo Plexface.

Just use two Kempers. Profile a pedal and load it into Kemper #1. Connect it to the input of Kemper #2 and load your amp profile.

Alternatively, put Kemper #1 with the pedal profile into the loop of Kemper #2 with the amp profile.

I'd like to have a one to one circuit behavior for the parameter knobs on the Kemper so they acted exactly like the knobs on the original amp.

Don't get me wrong. I love having the ability to change parameters on the profile that is not available on the tube amp from which it was derived.

For example, if it was possible to model the knob behavior of a tube amp's gain control, I'd love to have the profile act the same way. The bottom line

is that it would be nice to have what would essentially be a profile that included the knob function parameters of the original amp.

The Kabinet is for me, a more desirable upgrade to my Kemper universe than the editor, the Stage, or new effects blocks.

I found Christoph's explanation of how and where he got the Kabinet's concept revealing . I do wish he had

elaborated at least a little bit on how the speaker models that will be available in the Profiler are different

than the models used in Line 6's Powercab. My expectation bar is high with respect to the Kabinet's
    modeling technology. I expect some Kemper magic.

Christoph mentioned amp wattage at one point when talking about a powered Stage. Then he said that due to

users desiring differing wattage levels, it made more sense to add the amp to the Kabinet. But he said nothing

about power requirements for the passive version of the Kabinet.

I guess we will have to wait and see.

If that's the case, I hope that Kemper Amps has the foresight to add an output on the Kabinet so you can daisy chain more at least two.

If Kemper doesn't, you could always build your own cab with two drivers when they become available.

I'm hoping that whenever this does come out, it has enough bandwidth to allow for full use of a 5-string bass in standard or 1/2-step down tuning. My gut says that I'm dreaming for that type of frequency response in a 12" speaker, but one can dream.

Add a sub to the Kemper Kone. The low frequencies below what a standard 12 inch driver will produce probably won't take advantage of the modeling technology from the Kemper anyway.

The Rack must be master, with the Axe FX 3 as slave to connect with S/PDIF. If the Axe FX 3 can operate as a slave. this connection method will work. If not, you bought the wrong Kemper model. The Stage can be either master or slave.

Ability to separate pre-amp and power amp or combine power amp and cabs

This would offer much more accurate options for live rig . Having the ability to monitor pre amp only no power amp no cab simulation into a tube amp and real cabs on stage, sending front master the pre amp> power amp- cab instead of pre-amp power-amp >cab option.

I have good news for you.

You can create a profile of a preamp. Read the manual. It describes the procedure required to create a preamp profile.

Load the preamp profile and output the Kemper into a tube amp connected to a speaker cab. You have exactly what you want.

However, you can't create a separate preamp profile and a separate power amp profile and load both into a single Kemper. You'd need two Kempers to do that.

For example, say you wanted to create a profile of the Twin/Deluxe (T/DLX) module of the Synergy system and send it to a profile of a Mesa California Tweed power amp. The Mesa amp's section uses 6V6 tubes which can be set up in various ways.

From the Mesa web site:

The all-tube California Tweed is powered by 4x6V6 Power Tubes and our Multi-Watt™ Power Amp, featuring Duo-Class™ and Dyna-Watt™ technologies, provides five power levels, two operating-classes and three wiring options via a single 5-Way Rotary Switch!

Obviously, you could create a profile of the Synergy T/DLX preamp module, load it into the Kemper, and feed the Kemper's output into the return of the California Tweed.

But you'd still need to turn the switch to change the power amp's settings. That's not a good thing to try in mid performance.

So let's say you create 5 profiles of the Cali Tweed's amp, each with a different switch setting. Again, that is perfectly possible.

The issue is that a preamp profile is a rig. And so is a power amp profile. That's why to use both a preamp and a power amp profile, you'd need to use two Kempers connected in series.

People made a great careers out of twiddling knobs.

I can no longer play guitar as well as I was able to play just 5 years ago. In my case it is the result of ulnar nerve

issues in both arms. Sadly, ulnar redirection surgery two years ago was unsuccessful.

However, I can still 'twiddle knobs', so I haven't sold my studio or my guitars.

Creating tone that stands out can be as valuable to the success of a piece of music as the melody and lyrics.

Having said that, I know a very successful hooker that has retired to Tahiti from the money

she made from her career of twiddling knobs.

Is this similar to the Powercab?

No.

From the 2019 NAMM recap with news of the Kemper Kabinet:

The Powecab works with any modeler.

The Kemper Kabinet is designed to work specifically with Kemper rigs, as an integral part of the rig.

What tube amp are you using? Until you tell us specifically, we cannot know what your

hardware is capable of and what its limitations might be. Even if there are some limitations,

there may be workarounds.

Also, it might help if you describe your cabling; both method and type.

Please be specific.

No matter the form factor (Rack, Toaster, Stage) a single Kemper can not create a parallel path with two separate rigs. With two Kempers, what you want is easily doable.

The vast majority of members of this forum are fanboys because the Kemper does what it does so very well.

Having said that, I'd say that there is a huge variance in how members use their Kempers, what features they like and don't like, and whether they would ever want to use two Kempers to do some creative (but complex) sound paintings.

In my case, I think that Kempers are like potato chips. Once you try one...

Brand new from RJM:

What's new about this model?

The big new feature is the ability to rearrange loop order. Your effects can automatically be placed in a different order for each preset. Aside from that, it's smaller and less expensive than the original Mastermind PBC, making it more suitable for smaller pedalboards.

What are its main tech specs?

• 6 audio loops
    • 1 insert loop, which can be used for a 7th effect, a split point for the 4 cable method or other special routing arrangements
    • 3 loops and the insert loop are switchable between mono and stereo
    • Programmable loop order per preset
    • 1 switchable buffer at the input, and 1 buffer in the insert loop
    • Secondary, switchable unbuffered input
    • Expression pedal input
    • External switch input accepts 1 or 2 button switch
    • Function switch output which can control channel switching on some amps, or additional feature switching on select pedals
    • MIDI output jack, which can be split into an input and output using a Y cable
    • USB connector for connection to a computer to use with our Mastermind Editor or DAW software
    • Easy to read LCD screen displays preset and song names
    • Built-in tuner
    • Fully user configurable using the Mastermind Editor software
    • Extensive MIDI support (the same as our other Masterminds)
    • Built in support for many popular MIDI devices

Why is it called PBC/6X?

The "X" indicates that this is a matrix switcher, which means that you can change the order of loops. We wanted to differentiate the PBC/6X from the PBC/10, which is a relay switcher.

Is the PBC/10 going to be discontinued?

No, we're selling both PBC models.

Will there be a PBC/10X?

We haven't decided that yet. We'd love to hear your opinion on this!

Can I upgrade my original PBC to have loop reordering?

Sorry, no, that would require a complete redesign.

Why would I want the PBC/6X over the PBC/10?

• The PBC/6X is smaller, which allows it to fit on smaller pedalboards (or allows you to put more pedals on a big board!)
    • The PBC/6X is less expensive
    • The PBC/6X has the ability to change its loop order on the fly

Why would I want the PBC/10 over the PBC/6X?

• The PBC/10 has more: 10 audio loops (4 stereo), 2 insert points, 3 buffers, 4 function switches, 11 buttons
    • The PBC/10 has an internal line mixer that allows you to use parallel effect routing
    • The PBC/10 has individual left and right outputs, and the right output has an isolation transformer and phase switch
    • The PBC/10's layout has more space in between buttons and a larger LCD
    • The PBC/10 uses relay switching which allows you to use it without any buffers. Matrix switching needs a buffer in front of it when used with a standard guitar

In short, if small size, lower cost or loop reordering are a priority, the PBC/6X is probably a better choice. If you are planning a larger pedalboard with extensive use of stereo effects and parallel routing, then the PBC/10 is what you're looking for.

Why is there no line mixer / parallel capability in the PBC/6X?

The primary goal was to have a smaller, less expensive PBC. Adding an internal line mixer would interfere with both of those goals. You can use our Mini Line Mixer in conjunction with the PBC/6X to get up to three loops in parallel. You won't be able to switch between series and parallel on the fly - you'll get full time parallel routing for the loops connected to the mixer.

What are the dimensions and weight of the PBC/6X?

Dimensions: 10.1 x 4.4 x 2.4 inches (25.7 x 11.1 x 6.1 cm)

Weight: 2 lb (0.9 kg)

This has an editor that like the MMGT series is easy to use, quick to set up with its many fully implemented devices.

Yes, the Kemper is supported.

Even if you already own a Stage or a Rack/Toaster with a Kemper Remote, this will add tons of functionality.

So say you have a Remote or a Stage, what good is having more buttons? How about leaving the Kemper's

overall control with the Stage or Remote and dedicate the PBC/6X to individual stomps?

And for anyone with pedals, guitar preamps, multi-effects units, the possibilities are endless for mixing and matching gear.

And reordering your gear on the fly.

Has anyone seen any Neural DSP cracks?? ...... nope. Why? They got it right by using ilok. ilok happens to be very secure right now. If piracy was such an issue in 2019, then I guess there would be no plugin companies right? Obviously this thread, among all the others about the subject, is to hopefully get Kemper to consider that direction.

If you knew some of the coders I met in school, you wouldn't bank online, use social media or trust

your hardware product in a plugin release.

Just because you have identified a potential market, it doesn't mean it is wise to enter it. A plugin would

cannibalize hardware sales. That would make hardware more costly to manufacture. And there is no guarantee

a plugin would have as great a profit margin as the hardware you are already selling.

That's a lose / lose strategy.