Posts by scratch17

Thanks for the reply Mr. Kemper.

I don't use hardware effects at this point. I use Universal Audio Apollos running UAD plugins. I can easily set up each of two Kempers with the same effects. So that is not an issue for me.

The Apollos have more than enough DSP to handle the plugins with near zero latency. And the plugins on the UAD platform are world class quality. They are almost indistinguishable from the hardware they model.

I also plan to run stereo and hexaphonic guitar soon. I am going to modify my Hamer Duotone. It will soon have a Cycfi Nu2 Multi (hexaphonic) pickup and two Fluence Open Core classic humbuckers wired in stereo. The Fluence pickups each have three voices, which I will be able to select independently.

I want a parallel path for the Fluence pickups wired in stereo. In some cases I will be using both paths with the same effects. In some cases I will use different effects on each path.

The Cycfi hex pickup will be multed, sent dry to six separate tracks in Logic, and also mixed to stereo. The stereo signal may go through the two Kempers or into stereo Apollo Unison guitar amp sims.

Later I can manipulate the dry hex signals in all sorts of creative ways. Since this use case doesn't require real time output, I can experiment to my heart's content in my studio.

I want a Stage but I want to wait a while. I already have a non powered Rack and an RJM Mastermind GT10. So the form factor isn't such a big deal for me.

What is compelling is the potential of using two Kempers together. My Kemper Rack will stay in front of me on my desk. The Stage will be on the floor at my feet.

Once the editor is released, the Rack will act like a control surface. Remember that any profile should work on any model.

Raoul23, you might want to consider adding a few options to your pole.

1. Later, but yes.

2. No, never.

My Hamer Duotone has (as its name implies) both a magnetic and a piezo output. So I am in the same boat as Alan.

I would love to be able to make full use of these by plugging the electric guitar (magnetic pickups) into one input and the acoustic (Piezo pickup) into a separate input. Then have the Piezo run through the existing parallel path while the magnetic pickups feed the stack.

I too find that a blend of the two voices can create a fabulous tone. But at times I want either solely piezo and at other times I want solely magnetic voices. Of course, I also want to use effects that are built in to the Kemper. Being able to control which effects and their parameter levels for each path separately is a must.

Talking about dual amping or parallel effects routing. We have a unique feature set that is relating to the serial signal flow as it is. That is „condition-free spillover“ of the DLY and REV module, individual output sources such as Stack, Mod, Dly&Rev wet - and especially MonitorCabOff, to switch off the cabinet solely for the Monitor Output and run a real guitar speaker through the power amp. Those features can be set globally, without tweaking every individual rig.

We know that a very large part of our customers utilize and enjoy these features. With dual amping or parallel effects routing those features are not possible, because there would be no determined points in the signal flow any more.

What do you think?

CK

Mr. Kemper, I think I understand what you are saying, when you specify doing this on a single Kemper. But two Kempers in parallel would be able to do dual amp and/or effects routing. The only potential issue I see would be some sort of phase issue between the two Kempers. I note that the Stage can be set as a slave when used with S/PDIF I/O. If you used S/PDIF to connect a Rack or Toaster (set as master) to a Stage (set as slave), would potential phase issues be eliminated?

And of course with two Kempers, a dual output guitar can have a set of parallel effects.

I am almost positive I will get a Stage to go with my non powered rack.

You

the kemper stage means one or two more years without a really new kemper amp with dual amps and better digital audio connections (usb audio and aes/ebu)..

2 more years? Not for me. I am getting a Stage to go with my non powered rack.

As for better digital audio connections...

I'd like to see the S/PDIF I/O be able to act as a slave. Otherwise it is more than adequate for my needs.

There likely will never be USB audio or AES/EBU connections inside a Kemper. Get an interface and get over it.

But for me this accoustic simulator will be the most important KPA-upgrade since I bought it in 2015

Check out Blue Cat's Re-Guitar plugin.

Also, if you have access to a Universal Audio Apollo or satellite, consider using the Sound Machine Wood Works plugin after Re-Guitar. It really adds a lot of the sound of a top notch acoustic being mic'd up in the studio from a piezo acoustic source.

I think that the Wood Works plugin will help in a live situation as well. Since there is almost zero latency with Apollo when the Console app is used to monitor and load a plugin, there is no reason not to use it with a piezo pickup or the Kemper mag to acoustic effect when it is released.

Kemper Support #1:

Can you please describe any integration between rack/toaster and Stage?

Specifically:

1. I'd like to know if I will be able to use MIDI I/O on the Stage to control my rack as well as the Stage. For example, could the Stage send MIDI PC to select a rig on my rack unit when I selected button II which would simultaneously select another rig on the Stage?

2. Can Stage act as a slave so I could connect the rack to the Stage via S/PDIF. That would let me use the two in series adding more effects slots and proving three effects loops.

3. Morphing between profiles, not just from settings within a rig. So you set up a Fender Tweed on your rack and a Mesa Triple Rectifier on your stage and morph between them.

No ethernet I/O on the Stage, but it does have MIDI I/O. I wonder if it could be used as a remote for my non powered rack using MIDI to communicate with it? Also wonder whether Stage will be able to act as remote for other MIDI pedals.

As far as the two send/return loops on Stage, maybe the KPA's S/PDIF will finally be able to be used as a second loop.

I love the two sends idea. It allows you to place external devices in front of and after the amp stack.

It might be a combo of a profile loader / effects / class D amp that powers the Kemper Kabinet.

A low to moderate wattage class D amp specifically designed for the Kabinet's speaker makes a lot of sense.

It also would not take a lot of space in the floor housing.

If it could act as a remote for both its internal as well as a second KPA, it would be killer. Maybe you

could morph between profiles. Or use both Kemper's effects with one profile. Or use two cabs

with one profile.

I'd buy that in a heart beat to go with my non powered rack.

I have an RJM MMGT 10 and a Voodoo Lab GCX. Note that the GCX is fully supported by the Mastermind controllers.
    I had a GCP and sold it.

I agree with Alan that Ron at RJM is extremely helpful. In fact, Ron is aware of the impending OS 7 upgrades on the Kemper and he's promised to support the changes.

I have a fairly complex rig. The MMGT has full support for my Kemper, GCX, and TC Electronic G-Major. The Mastermind software has full support from many MIDI controllable devices such as pedals from many manufacturers, Mesa Boogie J2PC and TC-50/100 amps, and even Sound Sculpture's Switchblade matrix switchers.

I use the GCX to control my analog pedals, reverb and effects loop on/off, and amp channel switching. I use multiple amps, and can set up so that they incorporate different effects, from pedals, the G-Major and even from my Universal Audio Apollo.

I can set up so that I can change to a completely different performance om all devices with a single button press. Or I can set up to change a preset on a pedal or the Kemper in mid song.

The easy integration and control of my rig makes the Mastermind a no brainer choice for me.

I have owned Event monitors since they first came out. As VoodooJef states, they are great. I use a pair of 20/20P as my 2nd monitors; ADAM T7V are my main monitors now. I still use a pair of SP8's in my studio for my Kemper.

The tweeters in used 20/20 monitors are often sold with the dome pushed in. Don't believe the sellers that this doesn't affect the sound. You might not hear distortion, but dispersion and tone are affected. It is also really expensive to replace a woofer. Spares are hard to find too, so you can figure on buying a 'for parts' monitor to get one. If you buy a pair, either make sure that they are in excellent functional condition, or pay a 'for parts, not working' price that is low enough that you can afford to get a working driver to replace a bad one on top of the original price. Note that the same drivers are used in all 20/20, TR and SP models.

I also keep two spare tweeters that I won't sell as just in case replacements.

Am I correct that you tried making a Studio Profile with the compressor? That is, with a mic on the cab?

You might get better results if you to make a Direct Amp Profile with the compressor into the amp. I use the Kemper DI made for creating DAPs and find that by removing the cab from the equation I get better results with my Wheebo PlexFace into my Bandmaster.

After you get a great result, you can use the built in amp to drive your real cab and the DAP loaded in the Kemper. You might also try a Merged Profile, which is a DAP combined with a Studio Profile.

Finally, to get a good result from an overdrive pedal, I start with a relatively low volume clean sound on the amp. Then I dial in the sound I am looking for from the pedal.

I know that the changes made to a profile in the editor and Kemper are going to be linked. But I think it is important for the editor to be able to be linked to other hardware controllers as well. Editors that are limited to mouse and QWERTY keyboard control are extremely limited. Adding hardware control with knobs, faders, buttons, continuous controller pedals, etc. adds a ton of usability.

The benefit is that you have could have control of parameters that are not top level on the Kemper. So you could assign parameters to direct knob, switch, fader etc. controls on a MIDI controller. This could be any controller (foot, keyboard or DAW controller) with MIDI learn.

You'd have more assignable hardware controls for the editor so deep menu diving wouldn't be necessary.

I am assuming that the Kemper Remote can do this right out of the gate because it controls the Kemper so it can affect the editor. Since my RJM Mastermind GT10 can do the same, it should be able to control editor parameters too. At least I am hopeful that this will be the case.

But MIDI learn support in the editor would open up editor control to a whole range of hardware.

I'd also like to see the editor work with two Kempers. Two Kempers could be set up with different parameter controls, effectively covering more parameters with hardware (knobs, buttons, etc.).

I am building a Tele with SHSH configuration. Yes. A 4 pickup Tele.

The use case is primarily for recording. And no I don't care about the aesthetics.

Two will be Fishman Fluence Greg Kock Gristletones in their normal positions. In the middle position I will place a Fluence Open Core Humbucker. The 2 Gristletones will have a separate output from the Open Core Humbucker.

The fourth pickup will be a Cycfi Nu2 Multi hexaphonic. It looks like a single coil, but it is actually a passive humbucker with low impedance and high output. Its frequency response is much wider than a standard humbucker.

Cycfi sells a Lemo 19 pin cable that will carry the 8 audio streams from the guitar to a breakout box.

I will start with a used 2017 or 2018 Tele American Elite. I like the compound shape and curvature of the Elite neck.

The guitar will have all of its hardware and electronics removed. I will send it to SuperVee to have one of their Maverick tremolo bridge system installed.

Then I will route the spaces for the Nu2 Multi and the Open Core pickups, and install hardware and electronics. The tuning machines will be locking Graphtech Ratios. I will also be using Graphtech Tusq XL nut and string trees.

I will sell the original hardware, pick guard, and electronics.

The only application is to run it through another valve power amp but seems pointless to me...

Not to me. I have made a lot of preamp profiles which I like to match with different power amp types. Tube type and mode as well as class (A, AB) will make substantial sonic differences. with the same preamp.

I also use my UAD amp sims with their preamp off placed after a preamp profile in the Kemper. These also make nice combinations.

a) Use a DI box to capture the loaded poweramp output.

b) Use the fx send (or other direct outs an amp might offer)

The sonic differences between profile types is derived largely from the point from which you tap the signal that is looped back to the Kemper. Which in turn determines whether a microphone, the cabinet, and/or the room contribute to that sound.

Your description "a)" seems like a Direct Amp Profile (DAP). It is not called DI profile, even though it uses a DI in the signal chain. I use a special Kemper DI box that is designed specifically for making a DAP. Check the Kemper manual for details.

In a DAP, even though the complex speaker / tube amp interaction is still part of the profile's sound, the cab's actual sound is not.

In your "b)" scenario, you are eliminating the amp's power amp section from the profile equation if you use a send from an effects loop on the amp. This is a preamp profile.

Any other direct outs an amp might offer could be a 'recording' output or a 'slave' output. Be aware that such outputs might be compromised with internal circuits that alter tone. Also, be careful with slave outputs. These were included to daisy chain amps in large venues where higher volumes might be required. Using such an output could potentially damage your profiler.

The effect type and settings inside module X could be changed or copied to module MOD or C since day 1.

Each effect module is always in the same position which is printed on the front panel. "X" is printed right hand side of the stack section and cannot be moved.

I want to be able to place the external hardware loop in front of the stack. Based on the above statement, you cannot do this because the hardware external loop is physically connected to the X slot. Is that correct?

for this application you should follow Damiens advice and get an external MIDI controller to control 2 PROFILERs.

I am half way there. I have a Kemper and an RJM Mastermind GT10. Just need the second Kemper. Looking for pennies in the couch.

use two Kempers for the purpose of combining two different rigs.

It sounds like you want to run the two Kempers in parallel, with separate rigs, the same effects, and separate outputs for each.

I want to run two Kempers in series. The first will have a Direct Amp Profile of a preamp. I will use my Apollo as an effects unit between the two Kempers. The second Kemper will have a power amp profile in its tone stack. The power amp profile will either be Direct Amp Profile or a merged profile. I will have a solid state amp connected to the second profiler's output. If I use a DAP, I will connect a standard guitar cab, or a Kemper Kabinet when it becomes available. If I use a power amp profile merged with a speaker cab from a Studio profile, I will use a FRFR cab.

I also want to do something similar in parallel. For example,I want a clean Fender Bassman profile on one Kemper and a Mesa Triple Rectifier on the second one. Yes, you could place effects in the same Kemper slots on both rigs. I might do that. But since I have the Apollo, I want to take advantage of the UAD plugins I own. So I will interface it with both Kempers.

I will use the MMGT10 to switch between or balance the two Apollos as a stereo rig with an expression pedal. Since the MMGT has excellent integration with the Kemper I might also mix and match profiles in the two tone stacks, with instant access to any set I want.

I just tried overloud THU VST Plugin and the RIG Player sounds no different than the Kemper!

Dean, did the plugin come with any profiles converted to the THU format?

The plugin is a lot less expensive than a second Kemper. So I can see myself using the following chain:

Kemper with a preamp profile loaded --> Universal Audio Apollo (to host time based effects) --> THU plugin hosting power amp profile

That sounds really tasty to me. I'd use the Kemper at the start of the chain because the preamp section of the profile has more influence on sound and feel than the power amp section.

Having said that, I do see a potential problem with Overloud's requirement that you send them your profile(s) to be converted to the format required by the plugin. By sending the profile(s) to them, are you releasing your exclusive usage rights to them? I didn't see anything about this potential issue on their website.