Posts by 120dBRockNRoll

Hi Sercho, great decision to play the guitar again :thumbup:

Finding the right PU can be a science and in the end it's just a matter of your personal taste. If you have really no idea where to start I suggest you try to find out with which combinations of amp, cabinet, guitar (Les Paul type) and PU some of your favourite sounds on recordings were used. If you can find at least 3 good sounds (in your ears) that were created with the same PU, it can't be that bad ;)

Another good idea might be to go to a local guitar store and try some Les Pauls with different PUs.

Seymour Duncan have a "Pickup selector", which may help to get an idea, what kind of PU might match your taste:
    https://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup-selector-step-1

It's almost impossible to give an advise for "your" PU... there are so many good, bad and average. You'll have to try and find it out for yourself.

It depends on the style of music, the original ammount of low frequencies in your sound and the other instruments, of course.

For my guitar sound in a 80s/90s metal cover band I usually set up the low cut to about 170 Hz and push 3 dB Q3 at 200 Hz. So there is enough room for the bassguitar and kick drums.

A high cut might be set at 4-6 kHz, depending on the basic sound this might be not necessary. Sometimes I just lower presence.

Boss GT-1 "Power Drive"

4 studio profiles & 1 direct profile

I use the Boss GT-1 for playing at home, as a backup and for gigs, where the Kemper is not suitable (e.g. mobile applications, the GT-1 can be battery-powered).

These are are coming from Boss' own amp model called "Power Drive" and the matched cab simulation "Origin", which is really nice for higher gain sounds.

3 profiles include the GT-1 internal parametric EQs and are ready to use.

1 profile is the raw amp sim with no additional EQ, but with cab simulation.

The single direct profile is the same as the raw profile, but with cab simulation switched off.

No external EQ or other gear was used when creating these profiles, all came direct from the GT-1.

A special setting was in the main out EQ of the GT-1: as this device doesn't offer a low cut and in most cases it's low frequencies are way too much a workaround is to set the parametric EQ to the following: Frequency: 50 Hz, Q: 0.5, Gain: -20

https://www.attacktion.de/download/Boss_GT-1_Power_Drive.zip

Have fun!

Man! These profiles sound extremely good! The low-gain ones still have that ENGL-tightness going which I cannot get from any other amp. The high-gain ones can be pushed even more without going muddy by simply adding the gain or using your Green Screamer in the stomp section. Want less tightness? Turn down the Definition a bit.

Again, extremely good profiling job!

Thank you, RiF! :):thumbup:

Danke für den Tipp, der Preis ist gut, werde ich im Auge behalten...

Die Bose S1 hatte ich vor kurzem getestet, sie war mir aber etwas zu schlapp.

Ich hatte dann die Behringer MPA200BT, die eine höhere Lautstärke und sogar einen besseren Klang als dir Bose S1 lieferten.

Leider haben die Behringer MPA200bBT anscheinend ein serienmäßiges Problem mit dem Akku bzw. der Ladeelektronik: bei den 3 Geräten, die ich innerhalb eines Monats hatte, war der Akkubetrieb äußerst unzuverlässig. Unter gleichen Bedingungen hielt der Akku mal für mehrere Stunden, mal für nur 30 Minuten und es kam sogar vor, dass sofort nach dem Einschalten Schluss war... obwohl die Ladestandsanzeige 100% anzeigte und das Gerät für 2 Tage zum Laden angeschlossen war. Ich habe sie aus diesem Grund zurückgegeben, was eigentlich schade ist, denn der Klang und die Lautstärke war wirklich gut.

Evtl. kaufe ich für mobile Zwecke dann noch einen LiPo4-Akku mit geeignetem Wechselrichter und betreibe damit meine Yamaha DXR10 bzw. dB Opera 12.

Als äußerst leistungsfähigen, dabei kompakten und leichten (2,7 kg) Akku kann ich den "SIGA LiFePO4" empfehlen:

https://www.batteriespezialist…h-12-8V-LiFePO4::409.html

Ich betreibe damit eine mobile PA, bestehend aus einer Auto-Endstufe "Sony XM-754HX" und einem kleinen batteriebetriebenen Mischpult "Behringer Xenyx 1002B" an einem Paar älteren Yamaha 15" Lautsprechern. Das klingt gut und geht dabei richtig laut, 50 Personen OpenAir für eine Metal-Band waren kein Problem. Mit dem kleinen Akku läuft das ca. 3 Stunden lang bei wirklich brutaler Lautstärke 8o

Set up my old Samsung S4 and apart from midi, works a treat. Gonna test and rehearsal and if I can;t balance the volumes ( the only issue I can see) , I'll revert to a DI box.

That's a nice and easy solution. You just should make sure mum doesn't call you on this phone while you're performing on stage 8o

Hm, I'm surprised you have problems with a poor signal of the MPX8. Mine has a lot of power, when I checked it the first time with headphones it almost blew me away;) The playback quality of my MPX8 is ok... maybe not perfect, but anyway good enough for an intro etc.

As I am also not 100% pleased about the pads and prefer a device with foot switches I'll start building my own sample player based on an Arduino with an YX5300 MP3 module, just ordered the parts for very little money at eBay. Total price incl. switches, housing, rechargable batteries etc. will be about 70-80 EUR.

Raspberry Pi with SamplerBox would also be an option, but Arduino is cheaper and IMHO a bit easier to build.

Just bought the MPX8 to try but was worried that it had limited memory hence wondering about other options.

When using the MPX8 for the first time I had some problems with the limited memory. In the end I only use mono samples, for our bands it's sufficiant for live use and easier to handle (only one cable and one channel on the mixer).

When using the MPX8 you should keep these pitfalls and limitations in mind:

- the samples have to be in WAV format 44.1kHz/16Bit

- the file names of the samples can be max. 8 characters long (8.3), with longer names there is an error message and the sample is not played back

- the files must not contain any meta data, otherwise there will be an error message and the sample will not be played back (converting the samples into the correct format works reliable with the export option of Audacity)

- the max. size of all simultaneously loaded samples (8 samples per set/kit) is 30MB. If this size is exceeded, the last samples of the set are will be ignored/not loaded.

- the sample size per pad is always rounded up to the next MB. So if 7 samples of 100kB each are already loaded in the set, the 8th sample has to be less than 23 MB to be loaded.

- loading from the SD card is very slow, when using the full 30MB it can take about 30 to 60 seconds until the full set is loaded

For more convenience on stage we use a USB power bank instead of the original power supply.

Last weekend we had an event and used the Behringer MPA200BT: it was disappointing, because one of the speakers switched off after a few seconds and the other one after about 30 to 60 minutes (didn't notice the exact moment).

Although the batteries had been connected to the charger for two days (the display said 100% full) and according to the manual they would last up to ten hours. Of course I didn't expect the batteries to last that long, but two or three hours should have been possible!?

It seems these models have a problem in the charging units, but anyway: for me this is not reliable and I'll send them back. This is a sad thing, because during the previous tests and rehearsals the sound was good.

For this event we were lucky to have some other speakers in spare ;)

If you park the expression pedal at heel or toe you have such a threshold already. In those positions the PROFILER doesn't immediately respond to small deviations.

Ah, ok... thank you. I didn't know that.

It would be nice to have a threshold at *all* positions. During the action on stage I usually don't think about correct parking positions ;)

You could also mechanically adjust the pedal to make it a bit tighter.

I'll also try this.