Posts by 120dBRockNRoll

@OhG you are right, the DXR10 is not able to create "umpf" like e.g. a 4x12" can. No single 10" speaker will be able to do this at higher levels. For high levels at low frequencies there is no other way than using larger or more speakers (-> larger surface).

For playing on very large stages or open air a larger monitor as the DXR15 might be the better solution in fact, in large rooms / outdoors low frequencies easily are lost...

For our quite loud metal band switching from guitar cabs (two guitar players with each two Engl 2x12") to two DXR10 (one for each) greatly improved the band's overall sound, especially because the guitar's low frequencies are less present. We even set high pass (100 Hz) and low pass (7 kHz) for the guitars.

Sure, the guitars alone don't have that "umpf" any more, but in the full band's context this was counterproductive anyway. With less guitar's "upmf" there is more space at the low frequencies for e.g. bass guitar and kick drums. We could play even louder than before switching to the DXR10 while the overall sound would stay totally transparent. The bass guitar and kick drums kick b*tt anyway.

We use the DRX10 as monitors for the guitars only, one DXR10 for each guitar directly connected to the Kemper / GSP1101. In the rehearsal room we mike the kick drums and send them to the PA: two Yamaha 15" speakers (some old passive ones, I don't know the exact series' name) with a strong Yamaha amplifier. We have two Yorkville ES808 18" subwoofers in spare, but never use them for rehearsals 'cause this would be way too much ;)

With this setup our sound is totally awesome, both in the rehearsal room and on stage, it's like listening to a very well mixed CD at really high volume levels.

I'll always remember our drummer's reaction when we used our two DXR10 for the very first time. It was in a small club for our virtual soundcheck (DAW to X32). Just a few seconds after starting the playback he startet laughing and couldn't stop for a while' cause he was totally blown away by the incredible volume and clarity.
    He said over and over again: "What the hell... this is impossible... this is coming from these small things?"

I have to mention that our drummer usually has IMHO totally insane levels for his monitor and he's also playing really loud. So if he thinks it's loud it really is loud.

This is the ones I think are weird
    The cable is super short I dont get it ... Where is the reciever?!? X/

The Yamaha MD-BT01 (or similar adapters) is not suitable as a replacement for a MIDI cable and can not be used for connecting a MIDI footswitch like the Tech 21 MIDI Moose to the Kemper. Adapters like the MD-BT01 are suitable for wireless Bluetooth connections between a virtual MIDI interface on a Mac/PC and a hardware MIDI device, but not between two hardware MIDI devices.

With the Yamaha MD-BT01 you could control the Kemper from e.g. a DAW running on your Mac/PC, but not from a MIDI footswitch.

A suitable wireless MIDI bridge as a replacement for a MIDI cable would be the pandaMidi midiBeam:
    http://pandamidi.com/midibeam/

The effort is too much for my perception. IMHO it had to be a very special or rare amp to be profiled that way... but if it would be that special, I'd rather have it profiled on site by someone else who is experienced in profiling or - better - have the device sent to me so I'd be able to be able to tweak the settings according to exacly my preferences.

If it would be e.g. a JCM 800 or another "common" amp, there are enough great profiles out there, for little money or even for free.

I rather play the guitar than spend time in profiling, but that's just my point of view.

When we play on mono systems, I'd still be running out of the Kemper via stereo and into 2 different channels. But I'm just wondering if it would end up sounding like crap

If you want to play mono into two hard left/right panned channels just switch off (bypass) the Mimiq Doubler.

I think tweaking the EQ of each channel a differently is not a good solution, but maybe this could work:
    Setup the Kemper's FX just as you would play mono, as the last element in the FX chain use a Mimiq Doubler and send it's stereo-output to hard left/right panned channels of the PA. People are sitting close to one side should not be able to perceive the slight differences.

-> https://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/Thread/31178-TC-electronic-mimiq-doubler

I have to mention that I never tried this as I always play mono, 'cause we have two guitarists

And what's your explanation for the -25% in price (in every online store), one month before disapearing from Thomann ?

I have no clue about the reason for the dropping price.

Also I have no clue if this is true, but it is said that the reason for this might lie far in the past. In @luntho 's post one could read a little hint between then lines...

Once Hans Thomann, founder of the Thomann company, visited Ikea and had some of his beloved Köttbullar. Unfortunately they were spoiled, so he had an indigestion for several days and never forgot about this shocking experience. Many years later (in the middle of 2017) this came back to his mind again and now he felt this was the right time for revenge.
    As it is said he has some good friends in Sweden and like him they are very well positioned in the market for musical equipment. I sounds a bit like a conspiracy, but it seems that together with his Swedish friends he managed to rise the DXR10's price for the whole Swedish market... payback time!
    As he is absolutely a really nice guy his intention for this is not to enrich himself. So he decided to drop the price at the same time in many other European countries.
    It's clear to see, that customers in these countries couldn't resist... that's why they are sold out at the moment.

As said before: I have no clue if this is true, but it might be an explanation.

I mostly do a low cut on the DXR, placed as wedge.

Same here.

At the rehearsal room the DXR10 is placed on top of my rack (standing on a table). So it's closer to my ears and I can keep the volume as low as possible.

The main sound from all instruments, except the drums, is coming from the rehearsal room's PA - also Yamaha speakers, passive 15" with a powerful Yamaha amplifier... about 20 years old, but still great.

From my experience a powered version (or external amplifier) is not necessary if you already have plans for a FRFR setup. I use an unpowered version and finally sold my Matrix GT1000-FX amp, because I didn't touch it any more after switching to a setup with Yamaha DXR10.

Without doubt the DXR10 is awesome, but might be still a bit heavy (about 15 kg) if you have to go by public transport.

Maybe you try out a smaller and lighter 8" FRFR system, e.g. FBT J8A J, Behringer B108 D or Alto TX8.