Posts by benifin

Just did some very nice DI Amp Profiles with my ENGL 860 Rackhead, which also uses EL84 Tubes. Pretty sure that a certain tube type would genereally produce problems.

0 db will probably clip your DI... Since the GI-100 has a LED clipping indicator you…

Hey all

Just re-did the profiles with the DI set to -20db - signal was fine [ 0 db was just to strong ] - Profile signal was nice and strong.

The bad news - the resulting profiles are still bad - they have a distinct woody/wooly mid-range bump ...... just not good ... no amount of eq'ing can fix it .......nothing at all like the actual amp [ when played back via my real cab ].

Best way I can describe the resulting profile
    ..... imagine the original amp sounds like a proper 16 bit / 44lk audio file ......where as ...... the resulting profile sounds like an 8 bit / 22k audio file ..... no fidelity, clarity and very merky and muddy ?!?!?!?

I'm basically %100 sure I am doing everything properly and that everything is wired fine ...... got me beat ?!?!?!?!?!?

I know and understand that mic'ed profiling is very hit and miss relative to mic placement, pre's etc ...... but ....... on paper at least, Direct profiling could not be easier ....... very frustrating ....... maybe it is a FW 2.8 / 3.0 issue that will be fixed in the soon-to-be-released FW update.

Then again, there clearly are other here who are getting great Direct profiles.

Very frustrating ....

tylerhb ..... did you do your Engl Direct profile from the speaker out ? or Pre Out ? did you do it as a merged [ simultaneous mic + direct ] profile -or- just Direct only ?

Ben

Could you post a sound clip with direct from KPA and direct from your amp?
    BTW. I don't believe that EL34 is the case:)

Thanks. I wouldn't have thought that EL84 tubes would respond differently to "direct" profiling as compared to 6L6's / EL34's / KT66's etc...... but then again, its strange that [ so far ] 2 people are reporting the same " issue " -and- there are no EL84 Direct profiles that I am aware of ?!?! :) ....... not withstanding of course that it is -very- early days for 3.0 Direct profile ......

Question please

When doing 2.8 / 3.0 direct profiling, do people here leave their DI output set to " 0 db " -or- do you set it to -20db and/or -40db -or- some other " -pad " db range ?

Ben

Firstly - my apologies - all bolding / sizing / formatting / coloring / "yelling" removed from my op. :)

In point form, here is what I have done:-

- Ultra G with Cab Sim Off
    - Ultra G with. -40 db pads On

- amp is a DC30 / DZ30 30w head running with master at. ~ 12.00 so probably putting out. 20w <-> 25w during the profiling process
    - guitar in to front of Kemper with a known good guitar cable
    - Kemper Direct Out to front of DZ30 amp with a known good guitar cable
    - Amp is set to 16 ohms to match my 16 ohm cab
    - Amp 1/4 speaker out to Ultra G IN with a known good speaker cable
    - DI. " Link " to real speaker cab with a known good speaker cable
    - DI " Canon Out " to Kemper rear Canon In with a known good Canon-to-Canon Mic cable
    - set the DI to -40 db
    - I then get my Amp sounding as I want
    - I then pull up a "close'ish " / "similar'ish " rig
    - go to Profiler
    - get the levels right from Kemper to Reference - all nice strong green - no amber or red
    - start profiling
    - I don't adjust any of the tone settings in step 2 or 3. [ can't remember which ]
    - the spaceship noises work
    - I refine the profile with some hard picking / strumming
    - save the profile
    - disconnect the profiling wiring and reconnect to normal Kemper-to-Matrix-Cab
    - bring up the new saved profile
    - as expected Cab is automatically off - turning it on or off makes [ as expected ]. no differences this is not a merged profile
    - listen to the new profile
    - it sounds terrible - nothing like the real amp / dull / lifeless / very muffled / mid sounding etc....

Clearly I must be doing something wrong as other. - Thomas, MB, TAF - have done and posted Direct profiles that they [presumably]. Would have done the exact same way and theirs sound brilliant.

I am using. 3.0.0.10856. -but- had the same/similar problem when doing the same process with 2.8 Beta with the "hidden". Direct profiling option enabled.

As tylerhb mentioned maybe its too-much "padding" although I would have thought that would have simply resulted in a "quieter" / "no so loud" profile ?

Then again, as I think about it, given the DI is already padding the signal down to line-level [or whatever its called] maybe it doesn't need -any- padding at all ?

All suggestions / ideas would be genuinely appreciated.

Ben

Hi all !

Am running 3.0.10856 with *FANTASTIC* Direct profiles from Thumas and MB and TAF in to my real 2 x 12 Cab ...... seriously ....they sound more real than real if that makes sense :)

Anyway .... so I figure, Ive got an awesome EL84 Matchless DC30 Ceriatone DZ30 Clone - I'll Direct profile that ....... honeslty, now I can do it direct, how hard could it be :)

First attempt

Using an ArtZDirect DI with -40db of pads - sounded terrible as it turned out I had a faulty DI - terrible fuzz / fizz / crackle / distortion etc.... . Took it back and it was replaced with a Behringer Ultra G - dealer checked it for me before I took it and it was/is working fine ... popped in a brand new 9v Duracell and away I went ........

Second attempt

Profiling worked fine - no terrible fuzz / fizz / crackle / distortion etc..... BUT it sounds TERRIBLE ..... dull, lifeless, weird-mid-range-tones/slight phasing etc..... %100 nothing like my original DZ30

Levels were fine ..... no amber let alone red signals ...... monitored and checked via my real cab etc....... all connections are correct .... DZ30 speaker out to DI - Link Out to Cab - DI Canon to Kemper ....... wasn't doing any speaker mic'ing but Im not interested in "merged" profiles ........its doing everything PERFECTLY but is sounding TERRIBLE ?!?!?!?!?

.... HELP !!!

-> does the Kemper just not like EL84 amps ?

-> is 3.0.10856 simply not useable for Direct profiling ?

-> those of you that are doing Direct profiles that work and sound correct ..... how are you doing it with 3.0.10856 ?

Really shouldn't be this hard ....... should it ?

Ben

Well there should be no difference with Cabs on then anyway. Strange that it's still fizzy through your real cab, though. What guitar cab/speakers are you using?

Cheers,
    Sam

Am using my KPA + my Matrix SS amp + my real 2 x 12 Celestion G12T-75 Box.

Guitar is a PRS Semi Hollow with a P90 in the Bridge.

Signal is:-

- No mic's being used at al - its all only direct
    - Guitar to KPA front Input
    - KPA " Direct Out / Send " to AMP-GUITAR-INPUT
    - AMP Speaker-out to ArtZDirect DI " Input "
    - ArtZDiect " Canon-Out " to Kemper 1/4" Return [ -40db set on the DI ]
    - ArtZDirect " Input Through " to my Real Speaker Cab
    - All Levels [ Inputs, Returns etc..... ] set to very low .... as in way-under any form of clipping ie: pure green LED's etc......

Unless I'm doing something wrong above, I'm starting to wonder if its my DI ??? :(

Ben

EDITED BY ME TO BE LESS DRAMATIC AND MORE FACTUAL :) LOOKS LIKE I HAVE A FAULTY DI .... WILL REPLACE AND REPORT BACK !!

Hi all

The FANTASTIC PART

FW 3.0 Direct / Merged profiles from other people ie: DeadLightStudios [ MB Stiletto ] and Michael Brits [ OTS Clean ] and Thumas [ MK3 Boogie ] ..... sound AMAZING !!!!! ... the only way to describe them is that they are REAL amps in a digital box.

SOME ISSUES LIKELY AT MY END

My only attempts so far at Direct Profiling have been with 2.8 Beta -and- 3.0 .... I never did any kind of profiling with 2.7.4

I am Direct profiling my DC30 Clone [ Ceriatone ] ie: Post-Power-Amp-Pre-Speaker

I am using an ArtZDirect and the pads are both on = -40db and all my Kemper and Reference levels and LED's are all well in the GREEN zone.

I set everything up, all good ...... and so far, with both 2.8 and 3.8 the resulting Direct profiles are somehat fizzy / fuzzy ...

This was/is identical with both 2.8 and 3.0 - I never used 2.7.4 for anything.

Now as I see it, there are only 2 possibilities

( 1 ) I am an idiot [ not the first time :) ] and have no idea what I am doing even though I have followed the steps word for word

or

( 2 ) My ArtZDirect is faulty - not even sure how I could test it :( but it is brand new out of its blister-packaging

Any help / advice / suggestions would be hugely appreciated.

My DZ30 DC30 clone is an amazingly great sounding amp and I am keen to Direct profile it .....

Ben

Hey MuddyFox !

Awesome find - I was searching / googling for ages [ to no luck ] thinking that surely someone must have thought / done this before :)

Im actually a bit surprised more people haven't previously talked about [ or actually ] done / doing this ....

Thanks again,
    Ben

No, I'm not kidding :)

Here is my thinking. I want a KPA controller with

- lots of buttons ... ideally 10 / 12
    - dedicated Bank Up / Bank Down
    - no Expression pedals - I have a DVP Vol X that is awesome for wah and I don't use or need a Volume
    - Midi PC and CC capability [ Browse and Performance plus IA ]
    - Can display the Kemper Tuner on the Display
    - as small as it can be
    - not too expensive.

So .....

- the KPA Remote is great but is quite pricey :) ...although definelty value in absolute terms
    - the RJM Mastermind GT stuff is great but stupidly overpriced ..... actually makes the KPA Remote look dirt-cheap in terms of price ..... no offence RJM :)
    - the BJDevices TB-12 is great but it doesn't have dedicated bank up and bank down buttons [ they sell a 2 button add-on box if you need ]

So that leaves me with the .... you guessed it ..... FCB 1010.

Then I thought ...... I wonder how much "stuff" is in side such a big "box"

Turns out ....... not much at all => www.el34world.com/Misc/Music/images/IMG_0230.jpg

So .... I will be.....

-> buying a 2nd hand FCB 1010
    -> buying the Uno4Kemper Chip
    -> do the FCB 1010 Phantom Power Mod -or- relocating the existing IEC power
    -> unscrew the black-tail-end
    -> cut off the Expression Pedals casing - in a straight line:)
    -> drill-to-re-attach the black-tail-end

The hardest part will be doing a straight cut on the casing to "cut off " the 2 Expression Pedals.

Total Cost for the 2nd hand 1010 and a Uno4Kemper and a few miscellaneous parts should be around approx. ~ US $ 170 or less .... will give me 10 x Midi PC / Midi CC midi FSW controls + dedicated Bank Up / Bank Down FSW buttons + Expression Pedal Inputs + Kemper Tuner [ in Red LED format ] on the FSW.

Anything obvious I am missing / ignoring in this project (?)

Is there an " already existing commercial " alternative I'm not aware of ?

Ben

+1

I'm having the same problem. Running out of the speaker output of a Marshall into a load box, then taking a line output from the load box back into the Kemper. The Kemper still includes a cabinet in the resulting profile. I wish there was a way to tell the Kemper that you're doing a DI so it doesn't mistakenly assume you have a cabinet when you don't. It appears I have no way to make a DI profile?

-Jimi

Hi Jimi - Ben here ..... firstly, love your profiles !!! :)

Secondly, and this has nothing directly to do with issue ...... but from my reading of the 3.0 Direct profiling procedure ..... the only way to properly capture a fully and properly Head-Cab separated Direct Profile is to

- run from the Amp head speaker out -> into an appropriate DI [ ie: Behringer Ultra G, ART Direct .....etc.... being a DI with no speaker emulation of any kind ]
    - then take the Direct Out signal in to the Kemper
    - and at the same time, feed the DI through signal to the speaker box *without* any sort of "load" of *any type*

This way, the Direct Profile gets not only the fully cranked head output but also the actual-real-speaker-impedance-effect in it too ......

I could be wrong though :(

Either way, again, huge thanks for your awesome profilesand I'll definitely be grabbing any Direct profiles you may release :)

Ben

maybe take a break? ! you need to rest your ears every couple of hours ideally..

Ha ha ... :) I might have been exagerating about the 48 hours :) :) ....... but I have given them all a great going over ........ BTW ........ my first post has now been corrected to refer to and acknowledge the proper authors of Direct profiles.

Seriously ...... this is game-changing stuff here ......

Thanks to all.

Ben

CORRECT PROFILE AUTHOR REFERENCE NOW !!!!

I have spent the last 48 hours using just 4 or 5 of the 3.0 Direct profiles form the " 49 " pack and a couple of Rig Exchange Direct profiles

- OTS Clean [ 49 Pack Michael Britt ]
    - Thumas MKIII 02 and 06 crunch's' [ Rig Exchange ]
    - Gentle King [ 49 Pack TAF ]
    - Mars Hi Sue Marshall [ 49 Pack Deadlight Studios ]
    - MeBo Stiletto Crunch Tight and Normal [ 49 Pack Deadlight Studios ]

KPA => Matrix SS => Real 2 x 12 Celestion Closed back Cab

Long story short - spent about 30 seconds tweaking each one .... yes they do require tweaking to individual taste / guitar / pickups [ P90 in my case ] ...... but they are so inherently "right " / "accurate " / "precise " that the tweaking is super quick and very musical ....

Real Digital is here ..... period !!

I actually own a 1986 MKIII Boogie 1 x 12 Reverb and EQ combo [ short head ] and its a total screamer / cranker ....... the " Thumas " Rig Exchange [ FREE ..... did I say FREE !!! ] MKIII Direct crunch profiles sound better than my real amp - I actually ran them side-by-side I was that stunned !!!!

I thought and hoped and suspected that good, well done Direct Profiles would be the final tipping point ....... you know ..... as brilliant as the Kemper is at "guessing " the Post-Power-Amp-Pre-Speaker-Cab-Split-Point ......it can never be "perfect" ......... some "splits" it does are spot-on .... some not-so-spot on ..........now it is perfect .... and it sounds perfect ..... :)

Done :)