Posts by benifin

benifin

Pure Cabinet is an adaptive algorithm to remove unwanted high end artifacts introduced by close mic'ing, try it, it sounds like you might also like what it does (I know I do) ;)

Thanks Don !

Like "Character" I previously never / until now used or understood "Pure Cab" ..... took your advice and also read the manual.

I do %99 rock to classic rock [nowhere near metal] and have in the last 30min or so tested a couple of presets with the Value at 0, 2, 4 ,6, and full

4 is my [so far] sweet spot ..... got rid of those few remaining "spitty" "crackly" "unmusical" hi end artifacts .... but left the right amount of hi end and kept the necessary musical "ugly" high end.... *very* nice.

Many thanks,

Ben

rigs in browser are independent from rigs in your performances

Yep ..... I get that .. and I do know I can edit Performance Slots to be different sounding to the same corresponding Browser Preset that is loaded.

But I'm wondering about the other way around.

So ... just to clarify .... you're saying

1 => if I have Browser Preset 22 in Slot 4 of Performance 4

2 => and I then later on edit the Gain and EQ in Browser Preset 22 in Browser mode

3 => I then have to *manually* re-load the newly edited Browser Preset 22 into Slot 4 of Performance 4 because Slot 4 of Performance will *not automatically play" the newly edited Browser Preset 22 in Slot 4 of Performance 4 (?)

That seem kind of weird and un-intuitive to me (?)

Ben

Hey all !

Quick question:-

Say:-

=> I have 5 unique Browser Presets

=> I set up these 5 unique Browser Presets into 1 x Performance with the 5 Performance Slots containing the 5 unique Browser Presets

=> all good .. no problems

Then:-

=> I edit the 5 unique Browser Presets and I change the Gain and EQ to different settings on each of the 5 unique Browser Presets

Question:-

=> do I need to re-load the newly edited 5 unique Browser Presets into the Performance (?) -or- will the 5 Slots in the Performance automatically detect and play the newly edited 5 unique Browser Presets (?)

Thanks,

Ben

I always check the cab character control early on when tweaking a profile, usually reduce it just slightly, tho sometimes is fine as is. Have never set it to a positive value so far - get's too spiky! Sounds like you've reduced it too? You say 0.8 to the left of the dial, so I'm guessing it displays -0.8?

I also routinely increase the cab low shift to 0.2 - most parameters I adjust on a per profile, but this one where I end up with the same value every time. I know technically this is raising the low freq's of the cab slightly, but even tho I like a good amount of bass, to my ears this small increase sounds better both on it's own and in a mix. Not make or break, but once I've set it to 0.2, I never want to go back to 0!

If there are any other parameters you haven't experimented with, try them - they're all useful, even if in small amounts and not every time.

Yep ..... - 0.8 on the Character Control !

Hi all !

Just passing this on in case some of you find it useful.

Back in the day when I first had my Kemper Toaster ... and now today back to the Kemper Stage, I *always* did my Hi / Lo Cuts and always left the "Character" Control at 12.00 / zero - never bothered to then or up until now, check what it does.

I've always used excellent IR's ... custom made and MBritt's [brilliant] 2 x 12 Classic Lead 80 Cab set of IR's from his IR Pack.

I had a perennial problem though .... this applied to my first Kemper ... all my Fractals ...Helix and Tonex in Helix Loop, GT1000 .... no matter how surgically the Cab Hi cut was set ... there was always a left-over [non-musical] degree of [mildly annoying] sizzle / brittleness in the Hi End.

I just accepted it and moved on ... until today.

Having now set up my Stage for Gig use .... and as I still had no idea what the "Character" Cab control does .... I *actually* RTFM :) ... I thought .... hmmmmm .... interesting....

Long story short ...went to my presets .... left my Hi/Lo Cuts as they were .... and just tweaked the "Character" to 0.8 on the Left of the dial ...... holy smokes ...... all that non-musical, mildly annoying sizzle / brittleness in the Hi End was gone + the low-mids-to-mids got a touch thicker and tighter.

Like I said ... this may very well already be well known ... but just in case .... if you are having similar issues with the Top End on your Cabs / IR's ... give this a go ... such a small tweak but such a big change :)

All the best,

Ben

Hi all !

This is a strange thing I'm starting to see.

I now have a KPA Stage and am well aware of what LP's are ... how they work and how they "should" be done - been messing with the ones in the 3 Official packs and a handful of free LP's from TJ ... they all work great !

In my opinion, the "ideal" way to do a LP is one of two ways:-

=> set Gain to Full and EQ;s to 12.00 and do a Studio Profile and a Direct/Merged Profile -and/or-

=> set Gain to Full and EQ's to FULL and do a Studio Profile and a Direct/Merged Profile

[ and if at all possible -don't- use a Load Box ... but rather Tap a DI off a connected speaker to keep a genuine-real-speaker impedance load on the Amp ]

So ... i.m.h.o .... I cant see any technical reason to have more than 4 x LP's to cover your bases for a given Amp channel to ensure you get its full range as authentically as possible.

So ..... why are some sellers starting to release LP Packs with 20, 30, 50, 70+ LP's at different "sweet spot" settings.

Sure, if you are using different mics and different Cabs then you will need to cover those ... but other than that, its just pointless.

My thoughts ?

I think sellers are worried / scared that people won't pay $10 <-> $30 for a pack of just 4 or so LP's so they are "padding up" their packs to make them seem "packed with value" to give buyers the "sense" that they are getting "more".

Anyone else noticing this trend ?

Ben

Gee's ... spot the guy that just bought a Kemper :)

Quick one:-

=> is there a setting / way to "limit" Scrolling Up and Down through Performance Slots within a certain range ?

For example ... all my sounds are in Performance Slot 1 <-> 4 ...... is there a setting / way to set it up so that when I keep pressing the Up or Down FSW, that it will only scroll Up and Down only through the range of the first 4 x Performance Slots ?

Thanks again,

Ben

A - should be a video on the Kemper website but it’s actually so easy you won’t need it. Press and hold the effect on the Kemper. While holding this press the footswitch you want to assign it to. Job done. If you want to assign more than one effect to the same footswitch just repeat the process.

If you want the default status for the effect to be on or off just toggle the effect button to the correct state. Now save the rig.

B - I’m not aware of a midi video but haven’t looked. There is however a full standalone Midi Implementation manual in the downloads section of the website.

you can assign a different function to the Tap, Looper, and Tuner switches in the system menu of your Profiler. You can also assign the on/off state of the stomps and effects to the 4 FX switches as well as certain actions like Freeze or fast/slow for the rotary speaker effect. The 5 rig/slot switches can either be used to switch between rigs and slots or to activate morphing or to control the looper functions. They are not freely configurable. You can find a detailed explanation in the reference manual that you can download from the Kemper website.

Many thanks !

I *was hoping* that unused / blank / empty Performance Slots could be re-assigned or manually-midi-assigned to something else .. but clearly no .... not yet at least ... hint ... hint ;)

Ben

Hey all !

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm just about "there".

Excluding the Looper and Tuner, the Stage has 12 x main FSW's [incl Tap]

a => is there a video or tutorial on assigning what you want to each of these 12 x FSW ?

Also ..... I am reasonably OK with Midi PC and CC assigning so ...

b => if I want to go "full custom" is there a video / tutorial etc ....... describing how I can use Midi PC and CC to assign whatever function I want whichever of the 12 x FSW I want ?

Many thanks again,

Ben

The gain hasn’t really changed. It isn’t “modelled” as such. The profiling noises might have been adapted a little (or maybe not I don’t have any inside information on that sort of stuff) but the main difference is that it is now recommended to profile on max gain in order to capture the full range of the amp during the profiling process.

I am fairly sure the EQ part is the genius bit that has taken so long to figure out. If the EQ is before the clipping gain stages (like a Boogie or Fender) then it has a dramatic effect on the character of the distortion not just the frequency output. However, if it is placed after the distortion gain stages (like a Marshall or EVH etc) then it has much less effect on the character of the distortion. Being able to model not just the EQ curve but also how it influences any overdrive that follows it is a pretty big leap for profiling which is probably why none of the other capture technology (NAM, ToneX, Quad Cortex) offer it.

So in simple terms. If EQ is Pre then it behaves like a Fender/Boogie and affects the type of distortion created . If it is Post then is has little or no effect on the distortion character but shapes the tone of the existing distortion.

Huge thanks Alan !

Just as a side note re: the Gain Stack ... I have no inside knowledge ..... but C.K has repeatedly said that the Gain Stack and EQ Stack of the "Amp Channel" Amps have (?) both been modeled ...... whatever he's done, its amazing :)

The other thing that caught my eye .... Many years ago I was running a KPA using FW 3.x or 4.0x before I left the platform .... and I distinctly seem to remember that the FW .bin files were always around 3.5mb in size .... when I got my stage and loaded OS 10 I was struck [unexpectedly] that the FW size is now something like 6 x that size .... lots of new "bits" pardon the pun :)

All the best and thanks again.

Ben

In a typical preamp with 4 stages (eg Fender/Boogie), the Tone Stack is between the second and third stages. The tone stack reduces the already boosted signal amplitude significantly so the stages following boost the signal back up and then drive the output to the power amp.

Many thanks !

I've read Page 172 of the manual:-

" ..... An additional setting can be found on the last page of the amplifier module: A soft button allows you to set the

position of the equalizer to either “Post” (after) or “Pre” (before) the amp module. The EQ has a different impact on

the sound of a distorting amp, depending on its position. In tube amps, it is positioned between the preamp and the

power amp. Most modern guitar amps with a master volume control perform the distortion in the preamp; thus, the

equalizer is positioned after the distorting circuit. Classic amps without master volume control (such as Vox® AC-30),

produce the distortion in their power amp. In this case, the equalizer is positioned before the distorting circuit.

However, setting the position according to the original amp is not mandatory, since the authentic sound of the

reference amp has already been captured, and therefore includes the original equalizer setting ..... "

The bit I cant seem to get my head around, is now that we have a Modeled Gain and Modeled EQ plus the Actual Profile ..... which part of what gets put where when selecting EQ "pre" or EQ "post " (?)

Ben

Hey all !

Re: this setting in this Amp Stack Pic:-

pasted-from-clipboard.jpg

With OS 10 Liquid Profiles ... when using one of the Factory Supplied new ground-up Liquid Profiles ... we now have the Modeled Gain and EQ Stack + the Profile .... so what is actually being put "pre" or "post" ?

Am I right in assuming that for %99 of real amps it is post .... so therefore for Liquid Profiles ... the "most correct" / "most authentic" setting is "Post" (?)

Thanks again,

Ben

Hey all !

Firstly - quick comment ... "Slim Down" ... without question the single most useful and musical Pedal Control I have ever used on any Modeler Platform ... period.

Now .. to my query.

Below is a Picture of the 4 x Timmy Pedals. I'm having trouble finding what is meant or intended by:-

=> calling them Tim Bass (?)

=> and what do the 1 <-> 4 presets change (?)

Many thanks,

Ben