Posts by starsend

Hi Denis, first let me point out I'm a Palmer endorser artist. Just for full disclosure...
    this being said, they make great cabinets. They made me some V30 cabinets that sound incredibly well. They also work closely with Eminence so there's plenty of choice there as far as speaker combinations go.
    I would definitely check them out before making your final decision.

Im not saying the idea of locking it is bad. But for my purposes, i would prefer a global multiplier. Really its a parameter of the profiling process, tied to each rig, not an extra tweak as we commonly use it. Locking it is basically the same as locking an eq in one of the stomps

Got you.
    For me, while the EQ is something that affects the sound of a specific rig, Definition is so pervasive that it could grant the ability to be locked.

Like youd set a global parameter to a value of 0-200% and that gets multiplied by whatever the Definition param of the rig is. So lets say you set the multiplier to 50%. Then a rig with definition of 10 would effectively operate at a Definition of 5, while a rig with definition at 5 would sound like its definition is at 2.5

Got it! Thanks. Sounds good but still, a lot of profiles are ok at 3 or 4. I'd hate to have those at 2... My (limited) experience is that a certain guitar seems to perform better at a quite specific setting. Then of course for final sounds you'll proably want to go in and tweak but an overall setting woud make auditioning dozens or hundreds of profiles much easier.

Thanks Paul. The biggest "offenders" were actually topjimi's profiles. I have all his SuperLeads and other vintage amps and I don't know why those have the parameter set so high. If he reads this maybe he can contribute. By the way his profiles are great and I have gone back for more so I am just asking out of curiosity and am not complaining at all. :)

I agree it would be nice to lock definition, but i think even more useful would be a global multiplier, like requested for reverb mix. So you lower it for bright guitars but boost it for dark ones to get more consistent tone across the board.

I also think that so many profiles have Definition set to 10 that it may be worth expanding the range of the parameter to 15 or 20.

Not sure i know what you mean by global multiplier. Could you clarify please? But I think it would be cool to be able to lock each parameter and not only the whole section. Maybe one of the guys at Kemper could tell us if this could be a possibility?

When you posted "why is definition always at 10?" I wondered if you had somehow locked it at 10, but, I don't think that is possible, unless you have accidentally locked the entire amp Stack.

Are the other amp stack parameters the same with every rig?

Try a factory stock profile of an old Fender or Marshall - is Definition lower than 10?

thanks for the suggestions I had already tried all that before posting on the other thread. my Parkers seem to like a definition of between 3 and 4 depending on the profile. Even with other guitars, a definition of 8 or 10 seems excessive to me ...

I would love to be able to lock the Definition parameter. Since it has such a big effect on the response of the amp to your particular guitar, I would like to be able to set the definition to say 3, and have it stay the same while I am cycling through different rigs. While for a final sound definition will probably need further tweaking, certainly certain guitars sound best in a particular range. Would this be possible?

Thanks!

I've been going through a phase where I wasn't completely satisfied with the sounds of my Kemper, using both Exchange and paid profiles. There was this excessive and unnatural "twang" to them that was really annoying. I think I have figured out the main issue (though other things can be modified) which is that a lot of profiles have the Definition parameter all the way up to 9 or 10...

This seems like a pretty ambiguous parameter, but I found that dialling it down to around 3 gives me a lot more body and makes the profiles a lot better. Has anyone had this issue? I use Custom Parker Guitars mainly, but I can hear the problem with various guitars including an old Gibson V, a Fender, etc...

Would the many wiser men and women of the forum care to comment on this? It says in the manual that definition can be used to match your guitar sound, but sounds pretty obscure to me (keep in mind I've been using tube amps since I was 16 so some of the terminology might escape me...).

Thanks everyone!

I don't think its just the author field.. I just Tested changing any value on mass causes the issue too. (I tested changing a load from guitar to bass) same bug.. I don't think they would (or could) have a random bug that does it sometimes after differing amounts of edits. Its just a bug.

Also if it was intentional, surely they would just pop up a warning in rig manager instead of hard crashing your valuable amp causing a forced power off.

(Changing values in bulk is fine in the local rig database, the crash happens when its updating live on the "my profiler" rigs.) So kemper are not preventing anything on purpose.

This.

I'm on the latest firmware...

Shane, you can change the author's name in the Rig Manager. It's a very useful feature to keep everything in order. I usually change all the names, too, with brand and model/year in front of whatever the rig's name is.

Bluepowder.... =O Fingers crossed this won't happen to me...!

Just had my first crash today.

I changed the Author parameter for a bunch of profiles at once from the rig manager (and44 to TheAmpFactory) and the screen changed to Syncing Rigs... Then it switched to KEMPER PROFILER, with the unit totally unresponsive. No big deal, I turned it off then on again, but it would suck if it happened when recording or playing live. Though I assume it had something to do with the fact that it was interfacing with the rig manager... Have you guys seen anything similar?

Got it.

Took me about a week to work out how to organize myself with the Kemper. For someone who has spent 20 years playing tube amps, being obsessed with pedals and preamps and all kinds of guitar things, this box is a major shift. But, I think I have it figured out now. For me, what worked was to force the idea of having potential access to thousands of sounds out of my head. Now the Kemper is just a smaller and lighter version of the amps I always loved. Of course, I'm often checking out the forums and the rig exchange for unusual or new things, but the main focus is the 15 or 20 amps I have always used.

With that in mind it is much easier to search the exchange and most importantly the few great commercial guys like TaF and toPjimi and build the "virtual studio".

Thanks for for the warm welcome guys I look forward to getting to know the community better!