Posts by telelogic

I'm about to delve into recording acoustic guitars and would be curious as to your finding regarding the use of different picks... I would assume the rigidity would affect attack and percussive qualities in a direct portion. Any specific recommendations?

it's more about tone than attack.

The thinner the pick, the less bass you get.
    If you're doing a stummy Everly's type thing you don't want too hard a pick.
    If you're doing arpeggios, you might want something a little stiffer (fnack)

I tend to have a 1mil' as the thickest and three or four thinner ones going all the way down to a .30.
    They rarely get used, but are always tried against the track, as you never know.
    Hope that helps?

I have six or seven picks that I use for recording and use whatever one suits the part I'm playing.
    When recording acoustic guitars, the type of pick has an enormous effect on how the instrument sits in the track.
    I can save a lot of time on the mix by recording the guitar with the right pick.

also the difference in the sound quality of a DX7 over that of a Sybclavia.
    I've been making records for over 35 years, and let me tell you, even trying to get the same piece of equipment to sound the same two days running is a mountain I've seen many a Big name driven to tears over.
    At some point, you just have to stick for a while and trust your ears. If we all upgraded everything constantly, none of us would be any good at anything!

all daw's have there own sound.
    I used logic for 15 years and in that time it went from being a professional tool into a prosumer Mac app.
    I switched over to reaper about three years ago because I prefer the sound. The transition is always tough when you cross over from one you know inside out, to a new thing that feels un intuitive and clunky.
    Thankfully, with YouTube and great dedicated forums, this pain is much diminished.
    You'll be fine in the long run, just stick with it.
    Logic has a fairly intuitive interface, even though (imho) it has become a little bloated.
    The more daw's you use, the more you'll wish you could make one that has the best features of all of them.
    Sadly, not possible. ||

just get yourself some "rocket" 5s or 8s and use you guitar cab for live stuff (if you feel you need to)
    Playing at home through studio monitors will give you much more of a chance to get the best out of the Kemper and if you want to do some recording into your computer, you're half way there.
    You're never going to get a powered wedge up loud enough at home to really feel the benefits, and you'd need a pair to enjoy the stereo effects of the kpa.

I use my klon into the Kemper from time to time. It's not such a big deal. Occasionally it will give an amp (profile) a little something, but in most cases I'll just look for a different amp, instead of trying to fix the one I'm using.
    I only use MBritt profiles and he sometimes makes them with the klon baked in.

The klon really works best (for me) as a great clean boost, to give an amp a bit of a kick up the arse. It does have it's own character, but it's not the magic wand that it's cracked up to be.

I think the pure boost, or as suggested by paults, using another stomp and tweaking to get the required result is the way to go (for now) I don't think that the Kemper team would have much trouble recreating the klon as a stomp if they decided to give it a go. It's only really an eq curve and some clipping.

Welcome,
    I was recording a pedal steel a couple of weeks ago.
    I found that MBritts "little Walter" profiles worked very well (not surprisingly, as I've seen a few pedal/lap steel players use them)
    It was the 50 watt version I believe.
    Can't remember what pack they came in, but it wouldn't take long to find out on his website.

Welcome again,
    And good luck.