Posts by jzucker

Thanks for sharing your impression!

I would suggest to be a little more patient here because spring reverb is certainly on the top of the to do list of the Kemper team!

I've heard that for over a year and there's never been any public acknowledgement that it will be in any subsequent release and in fact, the only acknowledgement that's ever been made was in one of the other threads recently where they have said it's not at the top of the priority list.

update, got it and promptly put it back on the market. It does sound good for a vintagy reverb tone but it has a significant volume boost as well as a bright boost. I did not try it in the loop. I was using it in the front of the amp.

I found that for clean tones, particularly with a strat or tele and for simulating a fender amp it had a nice tone. But for a lot of the stuff I do, most particularly with archtop guitars, it did not sound good. When I A/B'd it with the built in kemper reverb I preferred the kemper sound. It's adding something to the tone that I do not like.

Sorry Don, we'll have to disagree. The '60s fender amp sound was characterized by spring reverb. Princeton reverb, deluxe reverb, vibroverb, vibrosonic, pro reverb, twin reverb, etc.

Yes, there were fender amps in the '60s that didn't have reverb but the vast majority did and it's an integral part of the sound of the blues guitar lexicon as well as surf music. Can you honestly say that blues and surf music in the '60s would have sounded the same without spring reverb? And the kemper reverb is not good. It's not even as good as an intermediate level stomp box IMO. In fact, as I've said before, this is the Achilles heel of the kemper (to date). The stomp boxes and effects just don't compare to the boutique pedals on the market.

a pretty dramatic statement, especially when considering the Fender amps from the '60s that simply didn't have a spring reverb. ;)

not the guys I know. Maybe in retro bands but most younger players I know don't covet tube amps or spring reverbs. I think if it was a huge dealbreaker, kemper would have implemented it already. I think you can see that in the various polls you see around here where folks vote for what they'd like to see next. Spring Reverb is never the #1 in any of the polls I've seen. I just happen to unfortunately be in the minority who believe that without spring reverb, you can't ever hope to emulate '60s fender amps...Or Two-Rock for that matter.

Younger guys use Spring Reverb WAY more than any other type. Indie Rock, Shoegaze, Psych Rock, Punk, Folk--even Country uses Spring Reverb. There are a lot of bands over the last 10 years that crank the amp spring verb AND add a Holy Grail pedal in front of it for serious Spring madness.

I think the main reason they didn't think of adding it is that the Kemper team came from synth programming (re: Access Virus), Spring Reverb isn't real common in synth programming or in the genres that the Virus is used in. It's mostly used for guitars playing non-dance/electronic music unless you are being creative.

J

I think the majority of users must be younger guys who don't know or like spring reverb. That's the only think I can think...On a related note, I was in a guitar store the other day and someone was playing through a Dr. Z Lux amplifier. It's the first amp I've heard since I got the kemper that blows the kemper away and part of the reason is the amazing spring reverb and the gorgeous vibrato. Amps that rely on reverb, vibrato and trem can't be duplicated by the kemper IMO. At this point, I think the axefx II has the edge on the kemper though I'm not about to switch...

We can only hope soon.

Side note: I miss your updates from The Gear Page, Mr. Z. I can't go there anymore. Costs me money every time I open that site. :)

Thanks, last several times I posted there it reminded me of harmony central and the moderators don't do anything so I'm pretty much done there. greed ruined that site IMO...

Do you perceive any difference when it's unengaged Vs. being absent from the slot?

Yes, that's why I asked. With -1.5 at 80hz and 150hz and with volume at 0.0 I not only get a volume boost but a treble boost. Not sure if the treble boost is just preception based on the negative bass response but it sure sounds like a treble boost to me. I was wondering why I couldn't get a pure clean tone with heavy strings and amp gain at 0.0 and this is the reason why. Because my graphic eq was giving me a boost. Now that I set the vol to -1 on the graphic eq I can get a pure clean sound again.

how do you setup touch mode? And with the wah-wah effect I don't see touch attack and release or touch boost.

Thanks for the comments. I am not using a compressor but the amp's natural compression is probably shining through.

I have modified the original profile slightly by adding space, reverb, delay and a graphic eq to pull down -1.5 octaves at 80hz. Most of the fender profiles are recorded with too much bass for a hollowbody guitar with heavy strings.