Posts by jzucker

My favorite fender amp profile

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

pedals are needed IMO because the effects are not as good as most pedals and most of the overdrive pedals have too much gain even with the gain turned all the way off. You can circumvent this somewhat but putting a pure gain pedal in front of the kemper overdrive pedal and setting it for negative gain but it doesn't always react the same.

IMO, fuzz, overdrive, delay and reverb are weak spots on the kemper. I use a zendrive, fuzzface and occasionally external delay and reverb though I've found some acceptable settings for reverb and delay on the kemper.

I agree that the green scream should be able to go lower on the gain. I have no idea why it doesn't. It has been requested before 8)

THANK YOU! I get so tired of folks disputing this. I think there are a lot of higher gain players who never think to turn the gain down and then make claims that it sounds exactly the same. It's not just the TS9 either. All the overdrive pedals have the same issue and the fuzz doesn't clean up properly when you turn the volume down because of this.

As I mentioned before, you can put a pure gain boost in front of them and set the pure boost to negative 3 gain and that takes the problem but it unnecessarily takes up a slot. It should be fixed.

So.. you're saying the boutique sounds identical and responds the same, knob setting for knob setting to the stock TS9?

no, i'm saying the gain knob yields approximately the same gain at the 0 position on both pedals. I think I've said this same thing several times in this thread! And I never said that they sounded exactly the same in all positions. And I've said several times, the gain in the internal one at 0 sounds about like the gain on either of mine when they are set to 5. Hopefully, I won't have to answer this one again, lol

The KPA is an Amp Profiler. It never claimed to be a component-modeled guitar pedal modeler.

I was able to dial in the Green pedal to sound like my Tube Screamer, and once convinced it could to my preferred settings, sold the pedal. I was able to do this within minutes. But... you have to use your ears. It's art, not science.

If you conduct a knob-to-knob comparison among various versions of Tube Screamers, you'll see they don't all respond the same exact way either, so why should the Kemper's version be any different?

as I said before, I have 2 tube screamers. One a stock TS9, the other a boutique TS9. They both have exactly the same behavior with the gain down. Anyway, i'm tired of these jousts.

Sounds awesome, a lot of depth to the sound, if I can describe it like that. Not the shallow compressed sound I'm used to hearing on some modelling amps.

Yeah, I like it better than the boutique tube amps I was using and endorsing previously.

cool. yea, what a great player. my favorite album of his is "soul manifesto". some killer jazz blues grooves. where is the other reverb clip posted?

That's my favorite album of his too though I like the smooth jazz album he released a few years later. Very methenyesque.

Here's the more recent clip with kemper hall reverb. I like it better than the digiverb but I have the reverb mix too high.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

nice. has a little rodney jones character to it.

Thanks, rodney is a friend of mine and I love his playing. BTW, I'm liking the hall reverb better than the reverb on the previous clip. I posted another clip with the hall reverb and the same guitar .

Look up the words "nuance" and "minutia" and see if that applies to the difference between a KPA and a Fender Blues Junior.
    As far as the tube screamer goes, I said it sounds "legit" which means "convincing." (I'm not sure if we're dealing with a language barrier here, if so, I apologize. I'm not trying to be rude) but I didn't mean to imply that it's controls acted EXACTLY like a real TS-9.

You were implying that being picky about the reverb was silly and I was trying to draw an analogy. In terms of the kemper TS9, I agree it sounds good and it sounds like a tube screamer but if you play Stevie Ray Vaughn stuff you are probably turning the gain all the way off. Both my stock TS9 and my boutique TS9 sound extremely close and both have a very characteristic tone with the gain all the way off. The kemper TS9 with the gain off sounds about like my other 2 screamers with the gain 1/2 way up. If you always have your real TS9 with the gain up higher, you probably don't notice a difference.

But the problem with various claims about pedals sounding identical to the real thing is that often, people don't bother to actually look at the full range of tones in the pedal. For example, if you're going for medium TS9 gain, I would agree that kemper TS9 is fine. For low gain, you have to prefix the kemper TS9 with a negative gain pure boost. Not intuitive and in need of improvement IMO. This is true of most of the gain pedals that the kemper has.

In the general instructions, maybe I misread it but it appeared to be from the context of rig manager. Anyway, looking for a fenderish sounding reverb. Which one of your reverbs comes closest?

Here's the closest I've come using the hall reverb, unfortunately the mix was too high on this.

Gibson 175 through the kemper with ampfactory vibrolux reverb

I have a Keeley modded TS9 and I don't care what any of you say, the Green Screamer on the KPA is legit. The choruses are good and the reverbs are good as well although an authentic sounding spring reverb would be nice.
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the minute your drummer hits a cymbal, all that nuance is lost. I'm not saying that detail doesn't matter, but there is such a thing as over-obsessing about the minutia.

You can say that all you want but configure your internal ts9 with 0 gain and 0 volume.

Now configure your real TS9 for 0 gain and noon on the volume. You can't hear the diff? Way more gain on the internal TS9. Yes, you can put a pure gain with negative gain and remove some of the gain but they are DEFINITELY NOT identical.

Regarding reverb, I could make the same argument that "why use a kemper" since as soon as the drummer hits, you might as well be playing a fender blues junior.

Until kemper updates delay/reverb, you can try out my advanced reverb presets. See the thread in the free profiles sub-forum. Several people have said they have started using them live and are now leaving their strymon reverbs at home, so i must be doing something right. Ideal? No. Good enough for me, yes.

Is there a way to load just your reverbs in rig manager? I could only load the full rigs there.

Not in the opinion of most users (I understand you have a different opininon). To me personally the air chorus is the best one I heard since my Roland JC120 days.
    Also the feature request charts show that Kemper is paying attention and they are willing to implement what the users want (if it can be explained to CK himself who participates quite often in these discussions).
    Note I'm not a fanboi. I only want to say that with the resources at Kemper and the way they seem to prioritize things some demands may take some more time.
    And I'm the first one to say that I'm still waiting for stomp delay, reverse delay and more reverb options.

and i also want to say that if you're completely unsatisfied with your Kemper experience why not try the Axe for comparison? IMHO it's better to look what a unit I use can do and not what it can't do. If you cannot experience and enjoy what the profiler does so exceptionally well maybe you should consider a change?

Well, maybe i'm doing something wrong but neither the vintage, hyper or air chorus come anywhere close to a JC120 or the CE-1 pedals and have you ever tried a DLS chorus pedal?

And though I've yet to try the MAB reverb (will rectify that tonight), my lowly digiverb pedal beat out the reverb on the kemper.

And my wamper faux tape delay sounds way better than any of the kemper delays and I can adjust the delay time just by adjusting one knob. No fussing around with ratios. Plus it has some modulation built in to get the eric johnsony type of...well...faux-tape delay sounds.

And it has nothing close to a BB Preamp, a Rat, a zendrive or a univibe.

All of these pedals sims sound great in the axefx. Just sayin...