Posts by raunch

For 80's metal, you can check out our Paul Gilbert / Lee Jackson Marshall. I've also profiled another one of Paul's old Lee Jackson Marshalls (the Mel Bay Rocket) and just need to do a demo. It sucks trying to do a demo of a Paul Gilbert amp. Paul's stuff requires serious chops. :)

I bought the Lee Jackson profile a week ago and can say hands down that is one of the best tones I've heard or had.

Jimi,

I absolutely love your profiles and I'll be fetching these! Thank you so much for making these available. My absolute fave Acca dacca tone is from Let There Be Rock....wonder if I can cop that with this pack?

Sorry if this is off-topic, but is there a chance you could do an 80's metal pack with an ADA MP1? I'd love to hear your take on those sounds.

How do you know when your guitar tone is perfect? :whistling:

Hey man, what a question.

I think GAS (guitar acquisition syndrome) and tone-chasing have the same origins. It's kinda like procrastination or something. Instead of being happy about something we're chasing something that we'll never reach. Can tone ever be perfect?

So being serious for a second I think perfect tone is reached when it supports your musical idea and when it aspires you to play and project a certain feeling.

We all hearing things in different ways, eh? Some days you fire up your tube amp and it sounds amazing. The next day you play it and you wonder where the tone went. Or you play and guitar and set your rig up perfectly and give the guitar to a friend to play and it sounds completely different. Or you download a rig profile and it sounds different than the sample recording. All examples of subjective impressions of guitar tone.

What helped me cure my 25 year obsession with Eddie's tone was to learn the songs and not focus on the tone so much. Nowadays I just learn new riffs or techniques.

That and TopJimi's Brown Pack is it for me. I'm over and done.

There are a lot of great free profiles out there, eh? And a lot of great great tones in the free rig packs as well, to keep you busy.

My opinion is, if you're in love with a particular tone then purchasing from a commercial provider is the way to go. I just love some TopJimi profiles and you just can't find them like that as a free rig.

Oh yeah....the Rig Manager is amazing. Can't stop playing. Only one thing I've noticed, if I store a profile from the Rig Manager on the Kemper and make it a favourite it doesn't pop up in my favourites list. I actually need to store the profile on the Kemper and then scroll to it manually under "All Rigs" and then add it as a favourite (pressing "Rig"). Haven't figured that out yet...

Well it's April and I just received my Kemper yesterday. What can I say? Wow, we're going to be best friends.

I'm loving some of the free profiles on the RE, such as a few Soldano and Orangutan profiles.

There are a ton of modellers that I have tried but nothing comes close to this beast. Exactly what I was looking for.

I hear ya, man! And I agree, especially since you're in a foreign country. I'd be livid and worried. I can just speak from my personal experiences here. I've had things shipped to me, too and they were always reliable. Just sayin'. Hope it all works out for you.

BTW I'm in no way affiliated with them.

I live in Cologne, so I'm at Music Store regularly. The place is BIG and they generally have everything in stock at the location. I've returned some gear and they took it back no questions asked. I think they are as big as Thomann, but I could be wrong. Definitely one of the largest stores in Europe. Great customer care and the boss hangs around the store on Saturdays.

I couldn't recommend Music Store more. Thomann is great, too. I just prefer to pop down to the store in person to buy things, so I never really bothered with Thomann.

BTW: they are eachother's biggest competitors and will match each other's prices. But shhh...I never said anything.

Back shortly with the final test results (this time with the Splawn)....

I agree with @Zapman, profiling is not the answer. Why? Because you haven't liked any profile out there pretty much.

Like I said, either try another Kemper (if you do not want to contact support) or return it because it's not your thing (and that's cool, too).

There are subjective views here and unless you lend us your ears we won't be able to hear what you're hearing. I did and do hear a big difference between your amp and the profile you made, but no other profiles are honking your hooter, so that's beating a dead horse.

Now if you said you liked x number of profiles but could not get that tone with your 7 watt or Splawn that would be a different approach.

His KPA is not defective, Michael was just able to produce identical results of the same DI track as the one produced by Sonic. Sonic didn't want to profile his amp originally but did it because he couldn't get any decent sound. We all have unique needs, unique pickup, unique guitars with different tone woods etc etc. Those parameters inside the Kemper should tailor any or most profiles to suite the guitar we're using. EQ balancing, you can't get away from it, every device has its tools and the KPA has few powerful parameters that will quickly do the trick.

Ah, my bad. I thought I read something about a DI (two kids here make reading a thread properly extra strenuous! haha).

You're right though...completely agree.

Yeah, good point. If profiling his own amps doesn't yield the results he wants, and the same DI track reamped through our units don't sound any different, then maybe the Kemper is simply not for the OP. Maybe it should just be returned.
    Possibly, there is some confirmation bias at work here - maybe you should try (as a last resort) recording the amp directly (no kemper involved) and really listen for those same "pod" sounds on the recorded track and see if you can make it out. Sometimes our ears and especially brains fool us :D

Yeah, that psycho-acoustic thingie :)

The way to track this down might be to take a DI signal, load profile X and record. Send DI signal to someone with a Kemper, have him load profile X and record. Compare both recording. If it's the same, there's nothing wrong with the Kemper but something wrong with the profiling process. I think that's actually been down in this thread if I remember correctly.

So if the performance of a or any profile doesn't sound good to the OP, return and get your money back.

Profiling is as tricky and variable as recording an amp. He'd need someone with experience sitting next to him to track down where he's going wrong.

Incidentally, this happened to me years ago. Everyone was raving about the Sansamp so I realised I must get one. I just couldn't gel with it. 20 years later, I sold it. The buyer was so happy with it. Oh well.

@Dean_R Yeah, but to be honest, the clips posted early do sound less than promising. I agree you can tweak tones but those profiles are too far removed from the actual amp to sound objectively good. I can definitely agree with SonicExporer and I wouldn't be happy either. But that being said, this whole ordeal would likely drive anyone up the wall.

Personally, I couldn't be a*sed to go through all of this if I was him and applaud for his persistency. (and it shows how helpful the Kemper community is)

I'd contact first level support first, and then just return it and get another one or try out another one. Electronics are commodity products, they're not guitars or anything organic, so it's not going to be this Kemper or no Kemper.

In fact I'd go to the store and talk to them about the tone issues, even show them this thread. The salesman will probably just grab another Kemper and compare both of them in the sound-room, either that one sounds the same or it doesn't.

The store will likely send it back to Kemper and they'd probably take a look at it at a way deeper level. Maybe there's something wrong with the A/D converters or the software. It will give Kemper a chance to revise the hardware or software and that may benefit all of us.

We all love solving problems and the great feeling we get when we do but to be honest SonicExporer probably isn't feeling to great about the Kemper right now....

and after a week or so of downloading rigs, reading, tweaking, testing I was getting closer - but all I had to do was go back and reference a real amp track and the difference was obvious (to me anyway). To me, the tones sort of remind me of an old J-Station spliced with a POD but with a lot more flexibility and cool "stuff" to tweak.

Sonic is saying everything sounds off and that lead him to profiling his own amp to see if it sounds any better. We're here trying to figure out why the profile sounds off and he's already said everything sounds like an "old J-Station spliced with a POD".

I kindly suggest you contact support and have them contact your dealer so everyone knows about the troubles you're having. The shop should be lenient about the return policy in this case if they take their service seriously.

There's probably some strange psycho-acoustic thing going on here as well. We all hear differently and some are very sensitive to certain frequencies, I absolutely believe you're hearing something in the sound. I suggest breaking it down first:

1) get a profile you like listening to (say, an MBritt profile or maybe my favourite a Top Jimi profile)
    2) load that into your kemper and record something with it
    3) compare your recorded region to the one recorded by the provider of the profile to rule out problems with your Kemper
    4) Isolate and mic up your amp, profile it from the control room, so you're only hearing the mic'd amp, you want to make a fair comparison between your mic'd amp and the profile
    5) compare it to the profile. Refine it. It should sound pretty much the same, 99% or so
    6) post the profile here, and let others judge the tone, a different opinion can help too

If at some point some thing sounds really bad it may be your Kemper or the way you're interpreting the sound (we're human!). Maybe the Kemper just isn't for you and you'll have to deal with your PITA neighbours in another way (are they related to my neighbour by any chance???).

Good luck!

Most of my playing is late at night with a toddler in the next room, and everything sounded fairly dry and lifeless through headphones until I found that setting.

Try that space setting in combination with pure cabinet. There's a video on the kemper youtube site that recommends that for headphone use. I remember it just now because I am in the same situation as use with two kids in the apartment.