Posts by raunch

So, the Kemper....I've certainly seen quite a few vids showing it nail an amp sound, very impressive. I've listened to a lot of profile demos like M-Britt, Choptones,etc...Some obviously are better than others. The one thing that concerns me regarding the Marshall-type/Friedman profiles I've heard is this: Can they really get that "crisp but not brittle" top-end bite common to the Marshall sound?

I've been chasing Eddie's tone for years. I hand built a Metroamp clone (68, 12000 series) and spent hours and hours modding the thing with help from rockstah and Friedman and others. Eddie is my number one for tone, even though my tastes have branched out a lot.

It seems your tastes are close to mine. I don't have a Kemper yet, but the tones from Top Jimi have me convinced. I highly recommend you check out Top Jimi Brown Pack on youtube. Please note it is youtube and there's some sound degradation.

Link: https://youtu.be/m9UMHc4rs2k

Oh there's a Soldano model, too. I'm on a slow inet connection, but it's on his youtube channel. Top Jimi also has a free demo pack in the RE

I have the plugin but I have not tried the head. I suspect the tone will be the same except the latency which should be lower on the hardware.

I'm lukewarm about the tone. It's true the BIAS is one of the better modellers out there but it wasn't working for me. Just couldn't dial in a tone that I liked hearing. I'm sure other may disagree.

If you ask me, comparing the tones from BIAS and what I've heard the Kemper do, the answer for me is Kemper all the way. (haven't bought a Kemper yet and I'm so hoping it won't be a glorified BIAS plugin. I'm really hoping to cop tones from Top Jimi out of the box.)

I highly recommend BFD3 because to my ears it is capable of very human sounding loops and patterns. It is pretty easy to use and there are expansion that sound really good. I haven't used Superior Drummers or EZDrummer and I will likely never switch because BFD3 covers everything I need and more.

I guess it's like the Kemper of the drum programming world. Get the best and concentrate on other challenges, instead of worrying about great recorded guitar tone or realistic sounding drums.

It's torture! But I'm patient....and I have two kids, so I'm happy it's even possible. Right now I'm abroad in Brazil so I can kill they time by hanging out at the beach. They have great steaks here and the caipirinhas aren't bad either!

2016 was great for me. I finally got back into home-recording and bought quite a bit:

- a Les Paul R8 (killed my GAS for almost a year...not considering another LP at all)
    - Logic Pro X (best thing I ever bought)
    - BFD3 (I love this one)
    - OP-X Pro (Oberheim synth...sounds great!)
    - Troy Grady subscription which took my playing to another level

2017 -> Kemper! and possibly a Hog and Eventide Pitchfactor.

...don't tell the wifey though.

Hi everyone,

I'm 41 and I started playing guitar in the late 80's. I haven't purchased a kemper yet but will next April when I am back home again. My favourite tones are Top Jimi's tones and I am dying to try out Big Hairy Profiles' ones too. Those are just killer!

My main goal is to use the kemper to record guitar and write songs, as I'd like to release a record in the next years. Collaborations with other musicians welcome!

Oh, big fan of 80's metal...but also newer bands like Bloc Party or Foals. See you out there!

For a simple setup for ideas, get a Zoom H5. It has a metronome and direct inputs that you can plug the Kemper into. You can even use it as an interface if you want.

I'm after a really simple setup so your idea will be what I am going to try. No DAW. No computer or laptop. Just guitar+kemper+sound recorder w. click.

I read somewhere the Zoom h4n has a metronome but only in record or playback mode, not sure about the H5. And I'm not sure it does odd signatures (I love 5/8, 6/8 and 7/8!). It was mentioned upthread that you can use the aux inputs to overlay a click track without compromising the dry signal of the kemper. I think that will be ok for me.

If all things fail I might have my iphone next to me for a click....but that can still be distracting. It's a bummer these days that so many things can pull you off track....especially if you're a procrastinator like me 8o

So as a novice who has only done a few recordings using a Scarlet 2i2 into Reaper, I have to ask:

Why not use the DAW as your master metronome?

Great question.

I just want to use my guitar and the kemper to practice and come up with licks. I play guitar in the living room and don't want to set everything up (laptop with DAW, audio interface, Kemper, etc.) because I noticed that I lose inspiration when there's too much to fiddle with. And having the laptop there with me will lead me to check Facebook or surf the net. I just want to keep things simple. Guitar+Kemper and record ideas and licks for later. Ideal would be to drop those into the DAW on the weekends and come up with arrangement then, so to do that they'd have to be categorized and pretty much in time to sound good in the arrangement.

That's pretty much it.

I agree there can be sync issue and a lot of frustration linked to that.

But in this case the region or snippets will just only 1-2 bars long and repeated. Long regions will definitely introduce sync issues. So from my experience you're both right! :thumbup:

When I get my Kemper (next year in April as I'm abroad at the moment) I'll report back!

Zapman: thanks!

@SonicExporer:

Thank you for your in depth answer, it's greatly appreciated!

I never thought of the timing issue but it might not make that much of a difference for me in my particular case because it would not have to be perfect at this stage of making a song (would be ideal to have it fit perfectly though for sure!). At this stage, for me, the arrangement is like a rough draft.

Say if you're working on a song and you have 500 or more parts flying around on your harddisk and you remember there was this one part that could fit into the arrangement. You check your files and locate "Key E minor, 7/8, 130bpm". You drop that into the DAW and fix/cut the region to make it fit, maybe chop the trailing end off a little. The less you need to cut the better the workflow, I guess. But it doesn't have to be perfect. Once the arrangement of the song is in the bag I would go over the scratch regions again anyway, i.e. re-record the guitar parts. In some cases though the part would fit perfectly and since it's dry I can add reverb, compression, etc. later.

That's the plan. :D

Hmm, maybe the Zoom H4n can write SMPTE or something to keep it all synced....might have to look into that. Maybe some one here knows?

Hello everyone,

I'm thinking of buying a Kemper for home-recording and practice.

Is there a way I can route a metronome into the Kemper without it affecting the actual signal when recording, i.e. just have it come through the headphones?

The plan is to record guitar parts and archive them according to key, tempo, time sig, etc so they can be used later in a DAW. I need the part/region to be exact for it to work correctly. The region would also be recorded dry + cab. I can imagine hooking my iphone up to the Kemper but I don't want the click to be recorded.

Or is there a better way of doing it? :S