Posts by Tones200

OK - updated to 3.0. Tried reloading all factory rigs. Not only did NO new ones appear, now I have two (duplicates) of every rig! I'm very confused as to what's going on. I initially had 296 rigs, after 3.0 and reloading the factory rigs I now have 633 rigs most of which are duplicates of the original 296.

Still no Mesa or Marshalls like it appears that I should have from this list.

http://www.wikpa.org/Factory_Rigs

Any help hear would be GREATLY appreciated!!

I just bought a new Kemper that came with Release 2.7.0. It seemed like a completely new unit, but when I brose rigs it appears there are a lot missing rigs from the factory default library from what I see should be there. For instance, I see Acoustic B and Acoustic E only, not Acoustic A, Acoustic B, etc. I also have no Mesa or JM800 (Brit) I am sure I have "ALL RIGS" selected as TYPE when I browse.

What gives here? How can I get back the full factory library of rigs?

So I decided to actually BUY a powered black lunchbox yesterday and suddenly no one has a new one in stock in the USA, whereas last week they were all over the place. What's up? Is there a new model coming out or something?

As for the retrofits, it looks KPA-Solution no longer makes it and Ambrosi adds like 4.4 pounds, making the unpowered Kemper a pound heavier than the powered Kemper?

I think I'd rather explore the master volume and limiter questions.

Tony

I have an existing 15 pound guitar cab. That's not an issue. The issue is that it only handles 60 watts. Power amp is not the issue either. Kemper comes with that. The issue is limiting the 600 watts of power into 60 watt cabinet.

Thanks. I don't actually OWN a Kemper yet. Just making sure I have a lightweight cab solution before I pull the trigger, and it's hard to find anything reasonable size and under 20 lbs other than a guitar cabinet, and hard to find a guitar cabinet at that weight that takes power over 60 watts.

So I can't try this out myself. If the monitor out can be set RELATIVE to the master volume and linked that way, this I think would solve the problem. I can set my max output level in monitor out and link that to 100% of the master volume. Nothing in the manual that says anything about this.

If that CAN'T be done again I'm wondering if their is some kind of brick wall power LIMITER for this solid state power output (not attenuator that decreases the volume output for a tube amp). Not sure if anything like this exists and having trouble looking it up on the internet.

So if I set the monitor output really low, then LINK it to the master volume, does the monitor volume adjust volume RELATIVE to the master volume full setting, or as an absolute to the master volume actual amount?

Second question - Does anyone know of any EXTERNAL device that will limit the power output out of the the power amp of the Kemper and into the speaker (i.e. between the to that would set a peak power)?

So I tried the non-powered Kemper into the effects return slot of an 18 watt tube amp (Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18) at a local shop and it sound fabulous. I used the "monitor out" output of the Kemper directly into the effects return of the H&K.

Problem is, I wasn't sure how to control the overall output volume. The H&K master volume (or channel volume) did nothing. The Kemper master volume did nothing. The only volume that worked was the rig (patch) volume (lower right on lunchbox), and every time I changed the rig to a new one it blasted the amp at full volume again until I turned the rig volume down. I'm confused as why the Kemper Master volume (upper right) did nothing to control the volume. Is this something that can be changed in the output section as directed toward the Monitor Out output in the Kemper?

Tony

At 16 pounds I think its amazing. Pretty sure Matrix has a US distributor now as well, it's only $16 shipping and no tax to get one of their power amps sent to Florida.

This seems awesome, but I'm concerned about the 60 watt power handling capability for the 300 W powered Kemper. Thoughts?

@viabcroce - Those Dragoon speaker look great. Two problems - I can't find then anywhere to buy in the USA and it doesn't look like any of the 1x12" come close to handling 300 / 600 watts. :(

@benvigil - I've read terrible things about the Behringer B210D as a FRFR for guitar modelers. Not heard them myself, but have not really seen anything good. Also note thatthe Kemper manual says that's it's OK to run the Kemper through a Guitar power amp and guitar speaker cabinet with the Cabs turned off in the Kemper output, so I assume that's OK.

Thanks everyone for the advice so far. I'm curious what everyone thinks about the third option, which is running through am effects return of a lightweight combo amp like the Tubemeister 18. Also in this scenario, does a tube vs solid state power amp make a difference? Does anyone know of any solid state combo amps 40+ watts under 20 pounds with a 10" speaker and an effects return?

I'm in the process of getting a Kemper but a HUGE deal for me is to run it through something that weighs less than 20 lbs MAXIMUM. I don't care if I get the powered or unpowered Kemper version. I also don't care if the cabinet is a powered or unpowered FRFFR or standard guitar cabinet but I want at least a 10' speaker. I do NOT want to get a separate power amp - I only want 2 pieces, head and speaker, with one having power. I'd want at least 40 watts of solid state power or 15 watts of tube power. It needs to be loud enough to play a small club. I do NOT want to go through the house PA.

Here a few combination I need advice on:

OPTION 1) I can get the powered version of the Kemper with a standard guitar cabinet. It's pretty easy to find a 10" guitar cab under 20 lbs (Engl, Hugh & Kettner amongst others). However all are rated at 30 watts 16 ohms for the most part, and the powered version at 300 Watts into 16 ohms, which I assume would blow the speaker. I assume this can't be done - Correct? I cannot find a 20 lb guitar cabinet able to handle even close to 300 watts.

OPTION 2) I can by the unpowered Kemper and try to find a powered FRFR under 20 pounds. I've pretty much given up on this as a possibility and I cannot find any FRFR even close to 20 lbs with a 10" speaker for ANY price that would sound decent.

OPTION 3) I can buy an unpowered Kemper an run it through the power section of a lightweight amp. Trouble here is that most smaller amps under 20 lbs do not have a way to input directly into the power amp or have an effects loop (I assume I could input into the in of an effects loop for this). The closest I come is the Hugh and Kettner Tubemeister 18 watt 10" combo which has an effects loop. This is a tube power amp so I'm not sure that's the right fit. I cannot find a 40+ watt solid state amp that had a 10" speaker, under 20 lbs and has an effects loop.

I've been trying to find a solution here for at least a month without any success. And help / ideas here will be GREATER appreciated!!! Note that I'm not budging on the 20 pound cabinet requirement nor having NO separate power amp, so don't bother with those 25+ lb options as they are too heavy. :)

Thanks in advance!!