Posts by sugarlou

Yes you read it right .

I want to turn the profiled amp off and use just the effects of the KPA through the send and return of my tube amp loop.

On the back of the KPA I see return input and direct output although I get no signal to pass using these.

perhaps my output menu?

I looked around and changed some settings but the only way i got anything was going into the front input of the KPA and mon out on back but the sound was not great

Any suggestions

( yes I also use the KPA in a more conventional way) Im trying to use it as a midi controlled effects processor as well 8|

Nothing wrong with my KPA or the CLR. Because I don't like monitoring it just through a CLR doesn't mean its broken. They both do what they are supposed to. Initially at home it was very cool but at a gig not so much. Im an older tube amp junkie with an open mind about modern technology. FOR ME the CLR doesn't inspire me like a standard guitar cab does. Its just too high fidelity perhaps. Im thinking its the horn. Im not accustomed to playing guitar through what essentially is a monitor system speaker. I tried to get it happening. I do like it as a monitor ( go figure ) in accompaniment of a standard guitar cab. Perhaps its my issue but theres a lot of people ( veteran tube amp guys? ) struggling with letting go and being free creatively listening to a representation of a guitar cab , mic and amp.

This week I purchased an Avatar 2x12 cab with Hellatone 60 and a 30. I had a gig last night. I ran the KPA through the FX return of my RedPlate 40 watt tube amp into the Avatar cab. Sent the main out of the KPA to the P.A. system. To date this has been the most satisfying arrangement for live profile monitoring yet. Now I will ad the KPA still doesn't have that tube amp feel of air moving although it sounds very authentic. When I just play the RedPlate through the Avatar its apparent. It moves the speaker in a different way that you can feel. The benefit of being able to quickly change tones and effects works nicely with the KPA and makes covering a wide range of material easier and therefore why I choose to use it rather than simply using the RedPlate and cab. Its just not nearly as versatile and then I need a giant pedal board and am tap-dancing all night.

I also think the KPA's overdriven and high gain profiles sound better than the clean ones. Im still struggling finding a clean profile that is warm and fat. Some of Mr Britts divided by 13 are very nice and if you aren't using his profiles you definitely want to give them a try. Im open to suggestions for a good clean profile with a touch of "hair" to it.

I also discovered what a HUGE difference the power amp makes in this equation. I though "how much different could it be?"

I had planned on getting a retro fit amp for my lunchbox so in the meantime I was using a small Crate power block to run to the speaker cab...well I just A/B the Crate with the return on the Redplete ..same cab.

Holy Sh*t ! Huge difference in tone. Like miles apart !

Don't overlook the quality of the amp you are using it DOES change things dramatically.

In hindsight I also think the EVM might not have been the best choice either.

I've been too busy trying to get the CLR to sound right. It took me a while to come around to this method and frankly it seemed to me to be the least likely to work. I haven't tried my rig like this live yet but I will next friday. Fingers crossed

**** UPDATE******

So after struggling with getting a decent live rig set up with KPA (CLR or KPA and power amp / EVM12) I discovered what may be the best scenario yet ( FOR ME)

This past weekend I had a gig on the board walk on the beach. I was told by my band mate that it would be a big deal with a pro sound company. In my head Im picturing one of those fold out trailer stages and P.A. stack so I decided to bring ONLY a guitar and my KPA. WRONG!

It was a very modest P.A . on a small riser. I told the "sound man" Id need to hear my guitar in my wedge or Id be screwed. He said no problem but once it was fed through the wedge it was God awful. Thin and tinny. I said "can you beef it up" ? He said he would have to change the EQ for ALL the stage monitors in order to get the guitar happening. There was a Fender tube combo in the back line . I ran the monitor out of the KPA into the front of the combo ( didn't have a loop) and Ill be damned but I was able to get a decent tone happening on stage and was able to not mess with his monitor mix EQ. Main out sent to FOH naturally. The combo wasn't micd

Sooooo for shits n giggles tonight I ran the KPA monitor out into the FX return of my Redplate and into a single 12 cab with a Celestion Heritage G12 65

Viola...THE best monitoring live KPA tone yet. I can't believe this approach would yield better results (again for ME) than the CLR and the power amp / EVM12 but it does. A bit more EQ tweak and I just might keep this Kemper.

So to anyone struggling with this ( and I know Im not the only one from replies on other forums ) I suggest you try this. You may very well be as surprised as I am.

Another cool thing is if something should happen to the KPA on a gig Ill already have a backup on stage ready to go

"I'm always surprised by how some purists don't realize that the sound of their mic'ed amp out of the FOH system sounds vastly different than what it sounds like standing next to the cabinet.the audience never hears it like the performer does , unless you are playing small quiet venues wgere your stage volume is what the audience hears. (And in those instances, it is often loud and shrill to those standing in front of the amp and quiet and muddy to those standing off axis.)"

For this Friday night venue we do not mic amps...and they are not blaring..Its a low key restaurant thing so the amp in the room is what the audience hears/ Thats why I'm trying to get it to not sound like an amp a cab and a mic

So theres no way to tell by looking at the rig on the KPA if it is a "merged" profile?

Rigs backed up

Firmware up to date

Uploaded Tills/ Mike W / merged rigs pack 2

Of course I spent a couple hours playing and listening to the newly added stuff (with headphones..its quiet time here)

Awesome stuff!

3 questions

Was there a Merged Rig pack 1 I missed?

And how can I tell what rigs are merged (recorded w DI)

Does it say somewhere? I want to run just the DI amp into my EV /Bogner cab

Also can I run a DI signal to the monitor out and an amp/cab signal to the main out at the same time?

Im also looking forward to auditioning some cabs with the CLR as soon as I can crank things up. This might be the solution.

I don't want to be the guy who gives up trying and blames the equipment !

I really want to show my "purist" buddy that this is not only the future but the present. But it has to sound legit!

No disrespect taken..Im not arguing with anything here...all very helpful and extremely appreciated!

When i got the KPA I backed up the rigs...and did a firmware (3.0) update. Then people started reporting issues. At one point I thought maybe the DI rigs were to blame. I got panicky as I gig with the KPA so I stopped any further updates out of fear. If you all say its safe to update Ill go ahead with it!

I'll refer to the manual on the update procedure as Ive only done one and it was a while ago

I def do not need a sub woofer! ( never said there wasn't enough bass in fact I dial some out) But thanks for the advice.

I will look into adding these cabs. I'll be honest Im nervous about messing with updates and importing stuff. Im afraid I'll somehow wipe out the work Ive done !!

I downloaded rig manager and have no idea how thats supposed to work...I need to get my KPA / computer skills together!

Can anyone reccomend a great DI profile ? I want to try the EVM /power amp route

Realistically I only use 3 main amp tones..clean ( Fenderish ) Mid gain ( Marshall JMP/ Trainwreck) hi gain ( 5153 / Soldano/ Friedman)

I can try n make a clip for this thread when I can crank things up a bit. Ill need to get my A/B box to make it apparent.

I don't believe the effects return on the RedPlate will bring good results. I actually PREFER closed back 4x12 cabs which is one of the reasons I got the KPA in the first place.

To be able to get that cranked big rig tone in a small footprint at reasonable levels.

I have a "strong tonal preference" for 100 watt tube amps dimed through 4x12s! Think AC/DC but I understand and will certainly audition other cabs as suggested.

Perhaps Im doing a poor job of describing why Im struggling w the CLR. I just know that when I play with headphones it sound killer and its inspiring and SOMETHING unpleasant happens when routed through the CLR

I tried auditioning other cabs. I can see how this makes a HUGE difference

I don't see any of these in my cabs list

"Fan Lux 58 1-12GT 75 1-12Robotz Gainy 1-12"

Did they come with an update Ive missed?

CLR is working perfectly. If I play my acoustic through it or even a CD it sounds amazing.

Describing sound is very difficult.

It's a bit like a stage monitor wedge that has a low mid ring to it. I can sort of eq it out but still not happy with the result.

If you palm mute the strings and chug it's very apparent.

If someone has a specific profile they feel sounds great unedited through a CLR I'd love to try it.