Posts by husker323

Just tried the Engl Savage profiles and I liked them so much I've also bought the JCM800 (great) and the Hagen (fantastic).

I really like having the whole gain range of the amp profiled, and the choice of cabs is nice; the merged nature of the profiles also means lots of tweaking ahead, but these are really good straight out of / into the box.

Good value too.

Guys, thx a lot...

I understand that there is some interest regarding the exact settings for every profile. But the pure amount of variables is so high that documenting these would making such a pack a "mission impossible". Apart from the amp settings, you would need the exact position of up to 8 eight mics, the EQing for each mic, the mixer settings plus the master EQ. Even then, the individual room acoustics would never give you the same sound in another location. I always take series of profiles and play with the variables. I then normally let some time pass and start selecting the best profiles with "fresh ears". Like i said before, i am no friend of the methodological approach that many IR collection producers use. Just trying to capture every possible position with every possible mics will leave you with 95% of sounds that are simply unusable. I would say that good profiles require experience and equipment, but really great ones happen by accident. :D

Sounds complicated! We certainly appreciate your experience and insight. Most of the CabLab cabs I've auditioned I could see using in some context, and this collection is much more accessible than other IR collections I have used. Plus, you've got to retain some of your trade secrets...

My comment about documentation was certainly not meant as a criticism. As a hobby recordist, I suppose I like to try and link what I hear to the process, so it was more from a personal education point of view.

BTW, thanks for the JVM DI profiles - these are brilliant, especially as the 410 is one of my favourite amps.

Hi everyone
    I've just bought a KPA after getting complaints from my neighbours about how loud I've been playing my amp (a Carol Ann Trip-R)!

I've previously been the proud owner of another well-known digital modeller, which I sold after finding I was spending much more time tweaking than playing (my issue, not the gear's...)

Anyway, I'm really pleased with the Kemper. It is very intuitive and I like the in-built limitations (number of FX slots for example) and the amp-like interface, with straightforward controls. The tones are great and I've found a lot of good profiles.

I'm just trying to get into the deeper tweaking mechanics and I also need to get around to doing a DI profile of my amp.

I've appreciated a lot of great forum advice and found the wiki invaluable, so as a long time lurker, I'm now going public! :D

This is my first post!

I've just bought the CabLab after using the Free pack cabs for a while. These are now my "go to" cabs. I like the fact that there are fewer profiles (58 vs 127 or so) but there are still enough to have lots of choice. I also like them being grouped into clean, crunch and high gain applications. The cabs nearly always improve profiles in a way that I like and I also appreciate being able to use the new features of firmware 3.0, which I really need to get to grips with.

I would like a more comprehensive overview of the different settings; I can hear the differences between cabs but I would like to know what it is I'm hearing in terms of mic positioning etc. However, that is my only wish and I think that they are a great collection of cabs, tailored specifically for the KPA.