Posts by chu

Hold lock whilst pressing the cab button. It will now stay off. If you switch off the cabinet to the monitor output and connect to your amp with the monitor output, the status of the cabinet will be irrelevant. That's the way I'd do it, so I can still connect headphones.

As for putting effects in the loop, you can switch them on and off per rig and move them in the signal path too. That might not be useful to you though.

Yep, always.

When a new Beta comes out I'll install as long as I have a few days to try it out at home. I'll run through all the changes from the set-list and if everything works fine then it stays. I would never install a new OS just before a rehearsal and definitely not before a gig without a thorough testing but I don't consider that a Beta will be unstable, just that some of the features won't behave as expected.

But I'm nearly always on the latest OS Beta.

I selected my loudest tone (my lead tone in my case), made sure that the input was just below clipping and that the output was the same - either by the stack volume or in the amp block. The output light should be flickering between yellow and red, then turn it back a touch). All my other tones are set lower than this by the same manner and a good number of professional profiles come up quiet against them.

Then, the only volume I touch is the master as it changes all the saved profiles by the same.

I'm running a 16ohm cab, so theoretically only 300 watts but I have never lacked enough volume in a band with drums, bass, second guitar and vocals.

Me too.

I use an EH Synth9 pedal. It really needs to see a raw guitar so I plug straight into it. The dry output goes to the Kemper front input, the synth out to the Kemper's return socket. Not quite the norm I know but I've tried it every other way and this is the only way it works properly. In the latest Beta, I had to change the aux levels in the Output settings to hear the Synth9 at all and then I realised that the settings in the Loop block no longer have any effect.

I'd not changed anything else, it was working perfectly before the update; I could control the Synth9's mix per patch, morph it, change the ducking.... Not a thing now. I'm using a mono loop in the X slot but it's the same in the stomps or with a stereo loop. Tried the Aux-mono switch etc. but no joy.

Revert to previous OS and all is well again!

These are just my thoughts on the matter, I appreciate that other people have different requirements so I hope this doesn’t come across as me trying to shut down anyone from voicing their own opinion.

The reason I bought a KPA is still relevant….. A few years ago I had been won over by the convenience of a Line 6 POD HD500 and DT25 amp pairing. It sounded good and made using effects in a live situation much simpler; with the benefit of sounding great at home too. Before, I’d gone through a never ending cycle of upgrading pedalboards, PSUs and cables to accommodate the latest effect pedal addition; only to find it complicated to use live and ditching the lot for a while. The HD500 & DT25 fixed that entirely and I loved how I could use minimal cabling to connect everything on the stage floor. The editor was good too.

However, the HD500 was seriously flawed for my needs. It was terrible to use without the editor. The patch switching suffered a long gap of silence and reverb and delay tails would always cut off. I found a way to use the dual amp feature to allow immediate switching/allow tails but it used huge amounts of CPU so I couldn’t use any fancy delays or reverbs. Secondly, whilst it sounded good it didn’t sound how I wanted. The amps lacked a bite that I desired, I could get close by using two EQ blocks but that wasn’t possible without overloading the CPU and it became a big compromise.

Line 6 eventually announced an update with a global EQ and some new amp models and I hoped this would be the fix I’d been looking for….Except after the long, long wait for the update to be released it turned out you had to pay for the amp models and the global EQ was only available for theHD500X model, not the near identical HD500.

Enter the KPA Powerhead, fast switching, delay/reverb tails as standard, all of the convenience of the POD but with the ability to add as many profiles as I wanted and to have the exact sounds I had been chasing for a few years. The Helix was on the horizon but delay/reverb tails were still an issue. I’d proven that seamless patch switching was more important to me than dual amps but even with a fix due I no longer had faith in Line 6’s promises. I didn’t miss the editor and don’t really like the whole thing on the floor as I prefer to keep cables away from my feet (I also connect to a sampler/audio player totrigger sounds by MIDI from the pedals, FOH, cab and IEM rack so have quite alot of cables!).

The KPA still hits the bullseye on everything for me. Yeah, spring reverb would be fun and I’d appreciate better preset management. I can totally see why some people really would like a USB editor too, even if I’d probably never use it. The ability to profile drive pedals separately from the amp would definitely be good to have! Being audio/USB interface capable wouldbe handy but I’ve already got a capable device for that and there are reasons to not include that technology which can be argued. Dual amp ability is of no interest to me.

The KPA’s direct competitors are the Helix, AxeFX and GT1000 and I’ve heard people voice concerns that the KPA is no longer seen as the best sounding but I don’t think that has ever been the point. Yes, it sounds brilliant but it’s the one that you can add endless amps to once you get bored of what the designer came up with; listening to Helix and Fractal users gush about the importance of cab IRs still makes me smile a little…. I can see the appeal of a‘Kemper Player’ as I’ve never profiled an amp either but the relevant hardware in the box isn’t much; the financial saving would be small – maybe as little as £100?

Kemper don’t appear to show an ambition to become a large company like Line 6. They’re not coming up with multiple product lines, reaching for year on year growth. They may not care if they’re being outsold by them. I don’t know their long term plan but maybe they see the market as a continually changing field; unpredictable and dangerous to invest in too heavily. To maintain growth you have to invest more and more into all the business support functions that have nothing to do with the product and you can easily become an inefficient, fragile monster. Gone are the days of jobs for life. Maybe they’re earning a nice wage, working for a small, flexible and enjoyable company, are happy with what they have and will make something entirely different when the KPA 1 sales diminish.

Please, wish away for a KPA 2, I’m not suggesting otherwise but CK has come up with a product that suits me more than anything else outthere. A few additions to the current model are unlikely to make me get a KPA2, it would likely take another game changing device to do so!

May not be helpful to you but back when I used a regular guitar cab, I always struggled to find a great sound. I finally moved forwards when I started only using profiles captured from very similar cabs to mine.

I also apply the same now for pickups.

I used to use a POD HD500 as controller for my Kemper; that has all of the M Class effects in it. At some point I used it for effects too but in quickly decided that none of the Line 6 effects sounded better to my ears, despite being told that the Kemper is lacking on the effects side. I now accept that it may lack some variety with the reverbs and you don't get some of the very specific modelled effects pedals like the Jet Flanger but I don't miss them and the effects in the Kemper are of excellent quality.

As for a looper, you definitely need a footcontroller to use it. If you can't raise funds for one, I'd suggest a cheap looper pedal instead.

I get why this forum has such a bad reputation now and why I have avoided it.

I love the Kemper, but it is not as good as it could be, because of the lack of practical, standard features such as a computer based profile editor.

I was not unfriendly to anyone. I did say that it was shameful and embarrassing that a company has neglected the needs of their community for years, to the point that other individual users have taken it upon themselves to create a working editor for us.
    That is a statement of fact that reflects very poorly on Kemper as a company. No need for anyone to get overly defensive about that and start lashing out. It is what it is.

I respect everyone's opinions on the Kemper and regarding this forum and it's not always a place that I find the easiest to hangout. You raise some decent points but include inflammatory phrases guaranteed to ruffle feathers and that's only going to achieve one outcome on here, or any forum I have ever frequented.

Without wishing to sound patronising, if you wish to achieve something here you need to address that.

If you absolutely need the early 60's Surf Rock tone, this pedal is the secret weapon. It's a Fender 6G15 with JFET/MOSFET instead of tubes. It's so convincing in person, spot on.

The DIY kit costs about half of what the built ones cost.

https://www.surfyindustries.co…ear-pcb-diy-kit-faceplate

That's just part of the drive circuit isn't it? You still need the spring reverb tank and enclosure for it I believe.

Sorry, this is just too good of an example for what I was trying to tell ... it just won't work the way you imagine it. :)
    So you plan to sit on the sofa in the lounge, guitar cable goes to your interface, audio goes into your computer (DAW) so you can route it to the USB output, then from the USB output you go by USB cable which will require you to add a powered USB hub every 5 - 6 meters until you reach the imaginary "Audio over USB Kemper". Your guitar signal will already carry the whole roundtrip latency before it even hits the Profiler. Then add the Profiler latency before we travel the USB highway all the way back to your DAW which you need to use to monitor your Profiler signal through the monitors connected to your interface (again full roundtrip latency added).

So here we stand (erm ... sit), enjoying double the roundtrip latency of your interface/computer/DAW plus the Kemper latency. You have successfully taken the total latency to a very audible and perceptible latency level. My personal rough guess ... you'll end up with at least 18-20ms latency, congratulations. :)

I am aware that Audio over USB sounds easy and tempting but reality is different. Think twice and plan properly before you waste your money on a subpar setup that could easily be avoided. ;)

You have totally over thought my situation. Imagine me tracking downstairs with low latency vstis. Later, once everything is tracked, I can carry my laptop upstairs and reamp via usb.

This how i already do it, except i have to bring my Kemper down to do so. Being able to take a portable laptop to the Kemper would be easier for my needs. Not saying it's the best way for all, just that audio via usb isn't pointless.

Audio over USB is a pretty useless feature for a device like the Profiler (or the AxeFX or any similar product), imho.People should rather buy an interface with more IO than a bunch of Audio over USB devices and getting serious headaches from trying to combine them (aggregate on Mac) to act like a single interface in their DAW.

I've got a perfectly awesome interface and would still make great use of USB audio from the Kemper. My Kemper lives in the spare room, set up with cab, pedals and guitars hung on the wall. My interface lives in the lounge, set up for editing and tracking guitars in comfort on the sofa. USB audio would be a bonus, if only a small one.

Hi,

Is there a way to switch morph on and off by midi, without an expression pedal? To clarify, I want to press a button on my FAMC Liquid Foot + 12 + to toggle between the two values. I have an expression pedal and it works fine but I'd like to be able to do this at times and can't figure it out.

Thanks!