Posts by chu

I get it. An editor would be good. I've recently rearranged the music room and the Kemper now sits slightly less comfortably in reach and an editor would negate that. Also, i find managing my presets a bit of a drag at times.

To clarify, I'm using mine for massive, full blown effect laden tones, individual profiles for each song in my band's set, morphing, automated midi control, all that stuff. At gigs, rehearsals, in a studio and at home.

But I found a huge benefit for not using an editor. At a recent band practice I realised a newly crafted profile needed tweaking mid song. With just a couple of button pushes and knob turned I was happy and barely missed a beat. Back when I had an Line6 HD500, I was so used to using the editor that I would struggle to remember how to change things without a computer plugged in. I would never have been able to make a big change so quickly that the band continued without a hitch.

Further, I've been chatting to a few Helix users recently that are ecstatic about the new BE100 rig coming to the Helix. I remember this excitement and that's one of the main reasons I moved to a Kemper; we are not tied into the tones supplied to us by the manufacturer. I got so fed up of hoping that the new update would finally bring me a tone that would be 100% right to my ears, only to be deeply disappointed and unable to do anything about it. Not at all with the Kemper, I can download profiles until I drop.

Of course I'd enjoy the fun of new reverbs too but I'm happy to negotiate the 10 or so settings that allow me to get really good results. Sure, there's no modulated or spring reverbs but combine the reverbs with the delays and there's nothing I can't do that I want to. A favourite trick of mine is to use the ducking setting on a modulation so that it sounds as if only the delay/reverb is being effected. Sometimes I wonder if people just expect a preset to be spot on and when it's not to find the next one is.

A Kemper isn't a Helix. The Kemper doesnt have an editor but the Helix doesn't do what a Kemper can either. I have two devices from FAMC; a Liquid Foot (midi foot controller) and a Liquid Tracks (audio and midi recorder/player). The Liquid Foot has an editor and would be a complete and utter dog without one. The on-device programming is terrible. The Liquid Tracks has no editor. It is a pretty straight forward device however it is a complete ball ache to programme simple presets and label them. I've pretty much stopped giving them labels now as it is so clunky. In comparison, the hugely complicated Kemper is a doddle.

I can see the appeal of a Helix, a fancy editor and VST capability, however there is no way i will ever sacrifice the convenience of one for the freedom to find/create my ideal tones.

Did you buy the Kemper after the Mesa? Why? If the Mesa is better, how did the Kemper ever take precedence?

I see a number of Kemper owners acting as if they want their Kemper to break the GAS cycle but it's not going to happen. I used to have a wonderful amp that had exactly the tone I was after and I still miss it. If it was so good, why don't I still have it?

Many amp companies have an amp that 'does every tone imaginable' and yet still people still sell them on. It's what we do. I love my Kemper but I'm not fooling myself into thinking that it sounds better than everything else I've had.

In my current band, the second guitarist had a Marshall DSL and it took me ages to find tones that worked well with it, very mid heavy tones that I'd not normally pick but it never sounded 100% (although he never made it sound nice due to his effects IMO). Since he left and we went to a three piece, I can pick from a much broader selection without any issue. I guess that having one amp with 'amp in the room' tone and the other going through a FRFR is problematic.

You can plug a guitar into a pedal and send it to 2 amps right?
    That's the best I can explain it.
    Here's a track with a stereo Rotary in the X slot at 70 percent and a Blue Sky Reverb in the Mod slot.
    Listen with phones or monitors.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

You're not understanding what the others are saying. If you put a stereo delay in the X slot and a stereo loop in the Mod slot, the stereo delay will not be sent to the loop in stereo. Left and right signals from the delay will be sent summed to mono. Whatever is in the loop will add it's thing to that mono delay in stereo but the stereo delay is forever gone.

I normally use a Sennheiser EW-300 G3 system which is among the "industry standard" ones at €1000+ for a transmitter/receiver kit. Recently I did a couple gigs with a much cheaper ANT ING200 kit (€210) and to be honest didn't notice any difference at all. I don't know how well the cheaper systems hold up over time, but in terms of audio quality I think your money is better spent on good earplugs (custom moulds if you can afford them).

That's pretty interesting. When I last used my LD MEI 100 I'd been considering getting the Sennheiser. In isolation at home, I could hear what the LD was doing to the signal.

But at the gig, it sounded just fine. I had a great balanced sound with great detail. I'm aware that many pro bands use full size paddle antenna and distribution units to prevent dropouts. I guess that much of the problem is the limitations of the technology.

I run my XLR outputs to the FOH mixer and the 1/4" output jacks go to my personal mixer (which also receives click track and my vocals), then to a MEI 100. Whilst it's not identical to the MEI 1000, it's very similar. I make sure the input and outputs signals in the personal mixer is strong without clipping, the gain controls at the MEI 100 are then set to just below clipping.

The volume on the MEI receiver is usually less than 50% and I get practically zero hiss even listening in isolation.

@Burkhard did you watch the video in the thread I linked? I'm happy that I have a completely satisfactory solution but I don't understand the underlying issue. Here's the video again; as you can see the problem only appears when linking the expression pedals within the Kemper.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

With Variax is not possible to play palm muting technique. Absolutely not usable.

External Content youtu.be

I had an older Variax transplanted into a G&L Tele (far left on my profile pic) and tried a JTV. I could palm mute away without any issue. I'm quite a choppy, aggressive picker when playing riffs and honestly never noticed any problems. I was made aware of this claim and tried to find fault, I acknowledge that it behaved differently in Variax mode but it's not true at all to say it is not usable.

I generally found the guitars a bit unexciting and uninspiring and don't miss them at all; I'd always pick something else to play instead of the Variax but I don't accept your claim.

Yep, I had this issue but without the Remote (I use a FAMC Liquid Foot, expression pedal connected to that). If I connected an expression pedal, I could get it to track flawlessly until I activated the 'Morph to wah' type switches in the Kemper. With each one I added, the more lag appeared. I created a thread here with a video linked from Youtube showing the issue - https://www.kemper-amps.com/fo…l-Latency-Lag/#post379261

The lag was horrific, if you quickly went heel to toe five times, you could walk away and the sound would still be changing for a while after!

I was able to fully resolve the issue but only by using my midi controller to change the Midi CC per profile. I consider it to be an issue with Kemper but they didn't seem interested, blaming my Liquid Foot......

you’re welcome.And the great thing about having these in the kemper is that you can easily switch between the 3 modes of channel 2, unlike the real amp.
    Channel 2 is where this amp rules, as I’m sure you know.

I used to have a 6100 and still really miss the amp. You summed up my feelings regarding it, channel 1 was alright, channel 3 a bit of a let down but channel 2 did everything I could have wanted. If I could switch between the modes on channel 2, I'd probably still have it!

Thanks to the OP for the profiles, I can't wait to give them a whirl!

If you find it, share it with me! I play in a band and am the only guitarist.

Honestly, I don't believe that delay will ever achieve a decent double tracked effect. Add delay to guitar or vocals and it sounds like delay, not two tracks. Try the TC Electronic Mimiq for a quick double track fix.

I've been tempted to buy the Sennheiser system, I've added it to basked on a few occasions with the money ready to go but have always held off. I use a LD MEI 100 wireless system with triple driver custom moulded IEMs.I've gigged them and used them at band practices for a few years and find the sound to be really good. I have no doubt that the Sennheiser would be better but I really can't fault the set up I have.

With correctly set gain staging the noise is very low and sound quality is really quite good. I can notice the hiss when at home testing the system but not at all with the band. Any dropouts are rare and are usually the fault of old batteries but don't distract me at all. I've seen enough reviews complaining about dropouts from every brand/model of transmitter/receiver system to believe it's the nature of the beast. Pro bands will use paddle antennaes instead of the little helicoil ones they come with.

I'm not saying that you don't get what you pay for but anyone that tells you that the £200 range isn't usable is telling you fibs.