Posts by chu

Stereo effects sound great onstage, when you have plenty of space between cabinets. But, there are some "real world" limitations.

If the guitar is in the FOH mix, the FOH may be mono, so it won't sound the same ( and there may be phase cancellation of the effects). If FOH is stereo, the guitar would have to be placed in the center of the mix for the effects to sound the same, and the audience would also need to be between the two speakers.

And, if you are a stage volume band, the stereo effect will disappear offstage.

I run stereo to my in ear monitors as I find the stereo effects in my ears make playing a whole heap of fun. However, I often run just one XLR to the FOH man for the very reasons you state. But my FRFR cab is mono and if I'm not using IEMs, I'm entirely happy with it.

I only have to stand in the audience during one of the other bands to know that the subtleties of my stereo effects will be lost to the audience. I guess if we had our own FOH engineer I might be able to get away with it but until then.....

Actually, Matrix did me a 16 Ohm version into my power toaster and it sounds incredible... And they are really nice guys, just bad press... :thumbup:

I've got a 16 Ohm FR212. I think it sounds brilliant.

It took me a little bit to love my Kemper.

One thing that I found to be insurmountable was that expecting something that was tuned for FRFR or headphones would never sound good through a guitar cab and vice versa. I'm sure there's a way but I couldn't be bothered to find out what.

My favourite distortion tones come from RigManager.

Further, if I flick between profiles, I quickly tire and find the differences jarring.

Thanks!The staff said the powered kemper allows only mono! Right? Meaning if i buy the powered i will not be able to run stereo speakers. But i will be able to run stereo in the IEM's?

So even though you use 2 cabs, it's still mono?
    What are main outs. Jack type of connection? Sorry english is not my mother tongue!
    So you both the unpowered version? Rack or head, and why?

The staff are wrong. The powered Kemper is stereo, just like the non-powered version. The powered output socket which you would connect to a guitar cabinet (which doesn't exist on the non-powered version) is mono though, so if you want to go stereo you need to use a separate power amp/active speakers.

I had a really hard time with this when I bought my Kemper and paired it with my guitar cab. I found that the best way to deal with it was to lock the cabinet to one that sounded as close to my real cab as possible. Yes, you'll miss out on all the wonderfulness of playing with full profiles but that's the downside to using a proper cab.

I seem to remember hearing of this once before. I don't say this to create alarm, more because I seem to recall that Kemper were keen to learn of it themselves and bent over backwards to help.

Contact the Kemper team.

You can use the XLRs or the 1/4" (or both pairs at once) to feed a stereo power amp. You can leave the cab sim on or turn it off, it's down to you and your preferences with the gear you are using.

You can also set up other output sockets (direct output, monitor output) to also output from different stages in the chain, increasing the number of possibilities.

Personally, I don't like running both non-cab sim and cab sim at the same time as it's difficult to get the tones right but that is just me.

Thanks for replies everyone. I guess one main thing I'm trying to get a handle on is in regards to editing a distorted amps profile. Obviously I gotta use profiles in the amp and bought online, with no current amps at home. Kinda asked this earlier, but maybe this a better rephrasing: When editing, say a Friedman BE-100 profile, does changing the Kemper profiled EQ controls react very much like that amp?

In theory, no. Changing the settings won't behave in the same way that the BE100 will because the tone stack hasn't been modelled upon the amp. You could consider it more like an EQ pedal and depending on the settings, either in front of the amp or in the loop. Either way, it is best to put aside the hopes that a Kemper will give you an amp which sounds and behaves just like another. Line 6 aim to do this with their stuff, and whilst I don't want to sound like I'm beating on them, it doesn't do it for me.

That said, just because the controls aren't modelled to behave like the real amp, doesn't mean that changing them will achieve something inferior. You may even prefer it.

I don't really spend much time editing amp profiles. With so many professional profiles and when many of the free ones on Rig Exchange are just as good, there's little need to. For instance, in some of the Amp Factory packs, you'll get 10 different profiles of the same channel, on the same amp. You're not likely to pick a mildy crunchy profile and change it into a metal monster; just pick the heavier one to start with and you're already mostly there!

Rob Chapman and the Cap'n test the Kemper vs Real amps.

Watch the video (both of them). You may not like the tones the guys get from their valve amps but it shows just how close the Kemper will sound to it. So in other words, the Kemper will sound just like the amp it is profiling. If you're not profiling your own amps, it's just a case of finding the right profiles. I find many to be quite dark and choose not to use the treble and presence to adjust them, especially when aiming for a nice, bright Marshall tone. Often a change of cabinet provides the solution, but once I found a few JVM profiles free on rig exchange that suited me, I've not looked back.

Ingolf, we have a Line6 vetta2 in our band, (you can see it in our video clip) :

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    we use it for live gigs but never "in studio" ( 'cause the kemper is better). This vetta works great, we don't use the fx loop on it so we don't know this bug.

Saying this is like me denying the bugs in the Kemper because it works flawlessly for me.

guys...one question: I read in the manual that the latest reversible FW is the 3.3

Still having the 3.2 I guess I'll have to go on the 3.3 first, and then to the 5.0, right?

No, it just means that whatever you create in 5.0 won't be backwards compatible if you revert to 3.2.

I use my old Line 6 HD500, because I already had it!

I only use 5 different patches in my band, so have the FS5, FS6, FS7, FS8 and the TAP switches set to select those in Browser mode by MIDI. Three of those patches have morphing and one has wah; all of which auto engage with the treadle.

[Blocked Image: https://rowbinet.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/line6_pod-hd-500_001.jpg]

FS1, FS2, FS3 & FS4 I have set to trigger samples from my Akai MPX16 sampler, via the MIDI thru on the Kemper -

[Blocked Image: http://cdn.mos.musicradar.com/images/Future%20Music/289/akai-mpx16-1200-80.jpg]

Finally, the Looper footswitch is set to engage the tuner on the Kemper. Whilst it doesn't show on the HD500 display, at least it mutes the output. If I need more sounds, I can program another bank on the POD and reach them by moving up with the Bank up & down switches. It works fine for my needs.

The thing I remember most about sitting 12th row center at the Pink Floyd Animals tour at Madison Square Garden was how raw/cutting/clean David Gilmour's tone was, really as simple and pure as a classic blues player. It was the kind of tone that sets young dudes on a lifelong tone quest, that's for sure. The reverb and echo back then was hard to discern from the venue itself and the ethereal context for his solos was primarily thanks to Nick Mason. Amazing. I love David Gilmour these days too, he's absolutely killing it. But he really did make his name as one of the kings of 'spacey' guitar with an unfettered tone that got out of the way of his personal voice as a musician. It wasn't the effects.

I'm certain that DG never uses reverb although I can't recall where I heard him say this. I've seen him play live on three occasions now and the man is the very reason I went from mucking around with an acoustic to taking the guitar seriously and his tone has always been sublime and of course, you're spot on that despite his famous use of effects, his technique always outshines it.

Please, no one get me wrong; of course I'm looking forward to anything that Team Kemper want to give me free of charge and I do understand why many players want to and will use fancy effects. I'm certainly not arguing that fancy effects aren't good it's just that maybe the importance is being overplayed.

I recently swapped my Power Rack for a Helix (I still have my toaster, don't worry!) and I must admit, I haven't been blown away. The only thing I really like about it is the univibe model. I find the KPA sounds better and is easier to tweak, funnily enough. The effects aren't miles ahead of the KPA, either, by any stretch of the imagination. I dunno, maybe it's just me...?

I find this quite interesting.

I read the posts on here regarding the lack of variety and quality effects in the Kemper and have started to believe that I'm left wanting in that regard. So much so that in between logging in for FW updates, I frequently add a H9 or BigSky to my shopping basket only to pull out right at the last moment.

A few months ago, I hooked up my old Line 6 HD500 in the loop of the Kemper to add tape delay, spring reverb, shimmer, synths and everything else I'm missing. I quickly realised that the extra effects made little positive difference to my playing, creativity, or tones. Certainly, for playing around at home with ambient sounds and creating huge, swirling, swooshy intros on my recordings it was good but I couldn't really find much of a use for it elsewhere. As for the quality of effects, the Kemper won. I assumed the Helix's effects would be far greater in quality than the HD500 but I've seen HD500 vs Helix audio comparisons where people guessed wrong and the more I read the less I'm convinced (no slight intended on the Helix).

I'm starting to think that reading about the Kemper's shortfalls is causing me to believe it, or that it matters. In reality, for recording, I tend to use synths more than hugely effected guitars and in my band, without a lighting rig/projectors, those long atmospheric intros are less spine tingling tension builders and more 'STFU and start the song' moments. And once the drummer hits, no one would ever notice the type of reverb I'm using.....