Posts by chu

I was using my Powerhead through a 2x12 with V30s and I had the same issues. I did set the monitor out EQ to adjust the sound to suit the cab but some patches just sounded odd through the cab but great through a PA.

My fix was to try to stick to amps profiled with a similar cab to mine. Those offending artefacts seemed to fade then. The cure was going FRFR but that's another matter!

There's just no way around certain issues and creating patches at home volumes will not usually translate well to gig/rehearsal levels. This isn't just the Kemper, it's the same with the Axe FX, Line 6 etc. This is only made worse when using different monitoring systems ie headphones and cabinets.

When I got my Kemper, I ended up creating a whole bunch of presets with different profiles. So if I had a delay & chorus patch for a section in a song, I'd have 5+ presets with the same effects but with different profiles. I'd end up trialling them at band practices only to find that my favourites at home were consistently my least favourite at band practice.

The key is to do it without the rest of the band getting annoyed with the guitarist mucking around with his amp!

Do you use a noise gate stomp or just rely on the dedicated noise gate? For high gain stuff I use a combination of both and end up with a flawless, noise free result. I do need to use different settings for different pickups though.

Although it's passive, I've got a Matrix FR212. It sounds stunning. Matrix claim "Whether you are a "heavy" player looking for a deep response for your 7 or 8 string guitar ... a clean Jazz/Acoustic player looking for the ultimate clarity and maximum headroom, the FR212 is the perfect solution."

I don't play 7 or 8 string but can believe it possible, I've not been able to overload the cabinet, no matter how bassy and over the top the tones I've used. It always retains control even when the practice room is shaking to pieces....

SOMETIMES in studio recordings you'll run two amps. It isn't RARE as such, but definitely not the norm. Be aware, however, that often you'll roll off the highs of one amp and the lows of another - stuff like that - for it to work. Or mic it specifically for it to work. It's not necessarily as straight-forward as combining two profiles not meant to be used as this from the get-go.

In my opinion, it's something really only useable for home noodling and professional players with their own FOH engineer. In a studio, you can end up with phasing issues and most engineers would prefer you to double track it with the individual amps. Live, running your guitar in stereo is only worthwhile when the listener is in a decent listening position; which most of the audience aren't and is the reason why so many sound engineers run the PA in mono.

As per above, no. I've explored modellers that did allow this and also real dual tube amp setups. In no situation did 2 sound better than 1 for anything more than self gratifying bedroom practice.

@dougc84 yeah you nailed it. Can't beat the flexibility of a traditional board.

I am considering a midi switching system for the strymons and possibly my overdrives. I'd put the strymons in an always-on stereo FX loop on the kemper and choose the presets via midi. The nice thing about this is that then I could have some effects presets on the kemper that rarely change (clean boost, trem, phaser, flanger, etc) that I could also switch on and off via midi, right?

All of this seems like it might just be a waste of time and money though, since I'd still have to lug around all the pedals, they would just be in the same rack my kemper is, instead of a traditional pedal board. Plus I'd have to bring a midi controller also.

Some keyboard players are happy for a synth where everything is controlled via a screen and sub-menus, others want a load of knobs where each has a dedicated role. We're no different and sometimes nothing beats a bunch of stomp boxes with knobs.

Blueamps? Made in Germany I believe and I think the owner is on here - Gitarrenschlumpf

I know you said they don't have good distribution in Germany but my Matrix FR212 is brilliant. Looks great, reasonably light weight and sounds glorious. They ship straight from their webstore too.

I got you. I think quite a few folks here use the Sennheiser, e.g. @Raoul23. And they are the industry standard, almost everybody uses them nowadays when going IEM.
    That's why I decided to step up now.
    I still love to play without IEM, in controlled conditions it's still preferable to me, of course. But in 90% of the use cases that I'm confronted with I'm much better off going IEM.

I have no doubt that the Sennheiser would be better, I'm just intrigued as to how much better. My IEM rig is a little quirky, I have a mini rack with mic splitter, mixer, effects and compressor that works independently to any PA I use. I don't need any further features from a transmitter/receiver, just something closer to 100% transparency.

I've been bitten so many times when buying gear that I thought/was told was going to be an upgrade. I'd love to test the Sennheiser before buying but it doesn't seem likely and £700 is rather a lot to spend on the hope it is worth it.

1st world problems!!

Like I said I was using the MEI before and while I find it adequate as well it colors the sound quite a bit.
    Using the Kemper I don't want to compromise with monitoring and IEM any more.

Indeed. I used my IEMs extensively in my last band as it was the bass player's PA and I got fed up with having to ask for the single channel monitoring setup to be adjusted. I didn't get my Kemper until I started my current band and the practice room has brilliant monitoring so I've not needed the IEMs. I've got custom mould quad driver thingies and always found the sound good enough but it's hardly 100% transparent.

Like you, I don't want to compromise as I'm loving my Kemper through a Matrix FRFR 212 but will use my IEM rig for gigs. I'm not overly keen on relying on online opinions about gear as it can get a bit opinionated but as a fellow Kemper user coming from the LD MEIs to the Sennheiser (which is what I've been considering) I'd love to hear what you think when you get it.

Let us know how you get on with the Sennheiser. I've got a LD MEI and find it adequate. I run mine from my personal mixer so I EQ the inputs to suit but I've heard there's little difference between most of the systems (other than extra features). I'd love to know if the underlying cause for dull sound is the brand or the nature of the technology.

I've used flat response headphones for years, with a variety of gear. What they won't do is sparkle and bloom like a set of hifi headphones. Essentially, they should sound slightly flat which can disappoint some.

The internet is full of cork snifferage, where people claim you need XY&Z to get the best out of something. In a blind A/B test, you might be able to hear a difference but that difference could be mimicked by adjusting the controls on the Kemper by the smallest fraction. IMHO a decent pair of headphones don't sound lacking with the Kemper. Trust your ears, not what you read online.

I've got one of these - https://on-stage.com/products/view/11653/117058

[Blocked Image: https://on-stage.com/productImage/54461_RS7000_OSS_main.jpg&w=1200&h=1200]

With the amp on the top, the cab can lean back against the legs and maintain good coupling for bass. I haven't used it much for my Kemper but did use it a lot with my old amp. It's wide enough for a Kemper but maybe not quite enough to make you feel safe but a shelf on it would fix that with no issues.

I've floated around the Rob Chapman forum for a few years. If you don't know, Rob came out with a collaboratively designed guitar where you could vote on the design. He's come up with other models, basses and effects in a similar manner too. It's become routine now, every time an new idea is suggested by Rob people give it a month or two before getting snotty when he doesn't follow it up. There're always rants about the terrible customer service, all because the initial idea isn't in the shops within a few months.

I don't blame Kemper for being a bit discrete.