Posts by chu

Whats the best way to use this with a piezo equiped guitar but have a mag & piezo chain?

Share both reverb and delay for the signals but I don't want the mag tone affected by the acoustic sim

I'm fairly certain that Kemper stated the acoustic sim is designed to work with magnetic pickups and that a piezo is unlikely to be as good.

And if you're trying to run the pickups and piezo through separate paths in the Kemper at the same time, no. That won't work.

Does it matter which base profile you use (I assume "yes") and which base profile is anyone having success with? I tried it with a TJ 65 Deluxe Reverb V1 profile and the Acoustic Sim didn't sound good at all through headphones. It was somewhat muddy and dark and didn't sound like an actual acoustic guitar; more like a very early guitar synth trying to sound like an acoustic.

Further, I took the suggestion of turning off the Cab and that resulted in a very piercing sound along with the note of the high E string on my Les Paul. Like stabbing in the ear piercing that hurts to hear.

I hope I'm doing something wrong, because as is, it's not close to ready. I did see a YouTube video of some dude demoing it and it sounded great.

Have you tried turning off the whole amp, stack and cab section?

You raise some good points but I believe you also miss the mark.

Kemper already offers the option to have reduced updates but with more proven, stable results. Fortunately, they also offer us the option of more frequent updates but with some risk of issues.

If you want the former, don't upgrade until the updates are thoroughly tested, into the release stage and then tested some more. There are plenty of us that do so and I'm certainly a good few updates back. These updates aren't security updates on a PC, they're new features and bug fixes. It's up to you if you want to install them.

Secondly, regarding the Mac/Windows support team; we're in a global pandemic. Working environments are unusual, information sharing has changed. Also, Kemper aren't a massive company that have resources coming out of their ears or even the support of being owned by a multinational company like Line 6. There will be issues like this as a result.

Lastly, I use a seperate Performance for each song live and have never used RM to program any Performance. I'm sure there are benefits but it's in no way at all essential.

Don't forget, what you send to be recorded doesn't have to be what you listen to whilst recording. Depending on how you monitor the KPA, you can send a DI track to the recorder, or an amped sound but without the the reverbs, delays or modulation but still hear the whole lot whilst you record.

This thread seems more appropriate for my question:

So sorry it this has been answered but I have read through and don't find an answer. I'm considering buying a Kemper Power Head and Kabinet. The head puts out 600w and the Kabinet is rated at 200w. I'd never hook up a 600w amp to a 200w cabinet and crank it. Not that I need 600w. But any concerns on such high power rating difference?

The common consensus with a solid state power stage is to have more power than the speaker. Should the amp start to clip, it will produce (most likely) unpleasant distortion. That clipping can also be dangerous to some speakers.

With a bigger amp, you're more likely to get the speaker distorting. You should notice this easily and it will be at significant volume.

I say, don't worry about it.

i admit I have never tried a polyphonic tuner but I can’t see the point of them as I only have one hand available to tune with anyway. Am I missing something really obvious?

The idea is you strum all six strings simultaneously and the display shows which are in tune and which aren't. You then pluck the offending strings individually and the tuner automatically reverts the a good quality chromatic tuner. Thus it saves having to check each string individually, to find if any are out. If none or only a couple of strings are out, it's convenient and saves a small but measurable amount of time. It's a sound idea.

But it doesn't work.

I found the polyphonic tuning on the Polytune garbage. I wouldn't have trusted it live ever. No idea why it works for some but not at all for me but there you have it!

The reason I asked is that the Kone looks suspiciously close in spec/construction to the: K12H200TC

So I'd be curious to see their charts side by side, which apparently will be impossible!

This has been discussed previously and it's definitely not the same speaker. The wizzer cone is differently sized and the ohms are different if i recall. The size of the wizzer is directly relevant to how the dispersion characteristics have been designed.

There's nothing to say that the TC will sound bad and there are plenty of people here saying they've tried them but it will definitely not respond as Kemper intend the Kone to.

What Zappledan is suggesting is that - as was suggested earlier - you make a special "phase reversing cable" - wired so that the tip of one plug connects with the sleeve on the plug on the opposite end of the cable and vice versa.

I would just take a cable you already have and reverse the connections at one end. (I would also label it so it doesn't screw you up at some future time.)

Use this doctored cable to connect the second cab to the first. Phase problem fixed.

Yep. Or open the cabinet and swap the spade connectors at the speaker. I understand the desire to not do this and the rationale that it shouldn't be necessary but alas, errors during manufacturing will always happen. People get things wrong.

Since I am having phase problems when linking my two Kabinets in mono via the Powerhead speaker output, is it probable I would also have phase issues when running a stereo setup with an external poweramp and the L/R monitor outputs on the Powerhead?

P.S. I’m a bit surprised no one else has mentioned linking two Kabinets together. It’s a really cool mini stack and probably sounds massive when the phase is correct. One Kabinet sounds bigger than anticipated.

If you use the same two cabinets and the same speaker cables, yes, definitely.

As I mentioned earlier, this sounds like a straight forward case of one of your speaker cables being wired incorrectly and is a very simple fix.

Both speaker cables are new and identical. I also tried both cables on both Kabinets. Everything works OK until I link the Kabinets together. It surely does sound like a phase issue though. Appreciate the reply!

Also, I wonder if I’m in a small minority of Powerhead owners who are trying to use two Kabinets in this way?

Do you have a multimeter? I'd check that both cables are wired tip to tip. It's easy to get it wrong and usually makes no difference, until you add a second, identical speaker!

Hmm, ever heard of a Variax?

Granted, it's not profiling, but classic "modelling", but with my James Tyler Variax plus my Kemper, I'm pretty much up to anything - Drop D LP to open tuning acoustic with the twist of a knob...

Good enough for my purposes - and even for a Doobie Brother like John McFee...

I had the guts from an early Variax built into a Telecaster. It really sounded great. It came down to me realising that the sounds of each model were less important than I thought and the tactile qualities more important that lead me to letting it go.

But from Tele to Les Paul to acoustic, it all sounded great.

Well, this is another can of worms! To most listeners, they can't tell the difference between a Fender Twin and a Kemper. To most listeners, they can't tell the difference between a Kemper and Amplitube. Most listeners can't tell the difference between a Custom Shop Fender Strat and a Harley Benton......

No one here is saying that the acoustic simulator isn't wanted, a great tool, amazing for those without an acoustic or even a great way to come up with some very useable sounds but if you have an acoustic and are remotely serious about recording and want to record the sound of an acoustic guitar, most people are going to do the real thing. Else we'd all be using a Variax already!

And let's face it, the drum machine section in songs such as In The Air Tonight are not trying to sound like an acoustic drum set, it's there for a specific sound which is very challenging to get from acoustic drums.

But my original point is that recording an acoustic guitar is not hard. Easier than recording a human voice in most circumstances. If you're recording instrumental music with no acoustic instruments, then a sim makes some sense but if you're recording a singer or real drums, micing a real acoustic is the least of your problems.

I don't record music to please anyone else, certainly not the mp3 listeners. If I want the sound of a Telecaster, I use my Tele. If I want acoustic, I will use my acoustic otherwise I might as well sell it.

Not trying to persuade others to do the same just countering points raised which suggest recording acoustic guitars is difficult.

Nice playing DamianGreda!

Besides your playing skills, I am missing a good room, mics and the knowledge how to mic an acoustic the way you do ;)

...so as soon it is released, I will try how far I can go with the simulation.

I am also happy to try the piezo of the acoustic with the kemper acoustic simulator. Thanks to my bad recording knowledge, it might get me further than a badly miced acoustic;)

It's really not as hard as you make it out to be. Most rooms can be made to be good enough with a few additions; blanket hung in the right place for example. A nice mic helps but a basic condenser mic will do a great job. I've achieve good results with very affordable mics.

Then, it's a case of moving yourself around in front of the mic. Move one way and you might get more bass; move the other way and you bring out more of the pick against the strings.

Sure, if you're going for high end solo acoustic stuff you need to up your game but otherwise it really is easy.

I use the rig volume. I did run into a headroom issue a few years ago where there was some audible clipping occurring. It turned out that one of the effects blocks after the amp had its level a little bit high (set by the profile creator). With that brought down to zero, I've not had any issues.

Due to how I initially set the device up with a particular profile that I liked (which was already quite loud) I tend to find all standard profiles a bit quiet and have to bring them up to balance the ones I have in my Performances. I could get round to reducing the level of all of my favourites but I have better things to do!

The KPAs main strength is its ability to provide quality sounds for recording. Other than an audio interface, no other hardware is needed.

There's already a mic in any profile containing a cab, you do not need another. If you don't like the sounds, use a different profile, a different cab in the profile or some post EQ.