Posts by karlic

The most issues I have with iem are related bone conduction when singing. But that‘s a different issue and we‘re highjacking the thread 😂.

I think I‘ll give it a try at our next rehersal weekend, where we set up the whole PA. But I‘m not relying on that, so everything is fine. Was just a thought.

For me rehearsals are a completely different sound whether you have speakers, or not. For a live show, the weight of sound from the PA at full volume in the venue brings a lot of low end, even through custom old in ears.

TBH I think unless you want specific controlled feedback, this is overkill and creates balance issues. Personally I struggle IEM's but the benefits are huge

A lot of in ear monitors are voiced with too much of a scoop, or overly bright top end. Once I got the out front sound right, it was a gentle roll off from 4k upwards with a 6db curve for the in ears feed from the Kemper (not for FoH).

This should really be the simplest of guitar techniques to work out. Just play 8th notes at any speed with a simple delay pedal and adjust the delay time until you feel the right effect. This would be how The Edge first worked it out.

You get a result a lot quicker than typing on a forum.

I did allready this. Tried several of them but they are divergent...

Just set the metronome to 127bpm on the Where the Streets profile. First off, see if you can play 8th notes with the delay turned off. Then get someone to turn it on and see if you can keep tempo.

If that doesn't work, maybe it is just not your thing.

Thank you all!

I'm not sure how to get that first delay repeat between 2 and 3.

As for that U2 Streets.kpreset, I gladly will try this one if I know how.... Is this just importing in RM? And then how to get it in the fx section?

When pedals were used for delay with no ms readout, it was a case of experimenting. You got used to the technique. Now you can play 8th notes and apply a dotted 8th delay to match tempo in a DAW.

So if you are playing at 120bpm, your notes would be 250ms apart and the delay set to 375ms creating the U2 effect. It sounds more complicated than the playing is. Watch this guy explain it for you:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

You guys are weird... haha

For me personally, Lukather's guitar sound from the concert in Paris in 1990 is the best he ever had.

Just my personal taste.

Steve Lukather's playing is great and his singing voice too! Of course we all have different taste though and I find it hard to hear chorus on a lead sound. It is also a bit too scooped a tone for me back then.

I kew he used the Rivera moded Deluxe on the first two albums but I thought he had moved to the Marshalls by Toto IV. Every day's a school day :)

Yes. And I forgot how much chorus he used on leads back in the 80s! I love his playing, but the sound is horrendous.

Not a deal breaker, but I would have loved a fully-featured 1u rack, or small package with all the current connections. The screen could easily be dropped these days and it would be a lot easier with air travel being so restrictive.

Which is actually a bit wierd. I patched in the Kemper as an outboard effect in Cubase, and Cubase measured the latency and compensated (as it does). Still it sounded wierd.

Also noted that if I record DI/Stack in Cubase over spdif on two different tracks, then the DI is DELAYED in relation to the stack. It's wierd.

Could you try deactivating all other tracks, or use a fresh session to try reamping?

I use the transpose feature live to avoid taking more guitars out for different tunings. There is definitely latency in all products that transpose live, but the Kemper is the most natural sound for me. Of course, I am usually not going further than + /- 2 semitones.

I usually find that if my in ears mix of the whole band is right, then the volume boost for lead is also good. When I first got the Kemper, I was always working with the FoH engineer to balance my volumes across profiles. He would record from his position with a phone to see how it sounded for me in the room.

Some bands simply have too much of a boost on lead tones, but another solution would be to put a limiter on the feed from your Kemper to the in ears mixer. We use Pro Tools to create our mix for both rehearsal and live shows, so that is easily done if needed.