Posts by karlic

If your driven sounds are harsh of bright in the IEMs, then they may well be for an audience too. High volume makes the highs and lows a lot stronger and you will often need darker with more mids for live because of the Fletcher Munson effect.

If you have studio monitors at home try turning them right up for a few seconds to get an idea of how the sound changes.

Back to this!! None of the solutions outlined above do the trick. All I want is to add an offset the the delay only. I still want my direct signal in the middle (contrary to what the delay widener does). I don't want ping pong, an offset control (in ms?) for the single delay. Kemper, what do you think??

After trying everything for live in a one guitar band, including the TC Mimiq in the Kemper loop, none of them were very good for me. I settled on a stereo delay with 15ms one side and 30ms on the other, but importantly the dry sound in the middle. This fattens up the sound a bit without sounding too processed if the delays are relatively low in volume.

I recall when we were all DYING to have a SPX 90. At the time (lower budget)people were still using (although great) Effectrons and ADA stuff. The SPX90 was where I learned to use the pitch shifter and helped me understand how a chorus works. Instead of using chorus preset, a tech buddy of mine told me to use the pitch shift +3 & -3 cents and get a "detuned" sound.

I'm going to have to look, I can't remember if the Kemper has a detune effect, or if the micro chorus is it.

Micro pitch does essentially what the SPX90 did, just like the Soundtoys Pitch Blender plugin. I think the Pitch Change C preset was +8 & -8 if I remember correctly. I'm not sure the Micro Pitch can control delay though.

I actually don't think that part of it sounds all that good. I think - but don't know for sure - that the blending between the different IR's introduces something that I don't like.... some sort of phase shift that feels wrong under the fingers. I always work with static Ownhammer IR's because of that.

The Kemper captures cabs better IMO.

Is it actually blending IRs, or just changing to the next IR as you move. I agree it is a major benefit, but Kemper is not really focussed on IRs. I think the idea came from ML Soundlab and the MIKKO player.

You have to turn up the volume to see what it will sound like, but I usually find those frequencies are around 3 to 3.5k on high gain profiles. A narrowish cut of a few DB will be needed to save a live audience. You really need to stand out front at a soundcheck to see the full effect!

It would undoubtably be a good idea in these days of airlines rinsing everyone for luggage. However, limited rigs is pointless.

They use such little memory and you would have to design a new system with a different architecture. Also it would limit sales to those who only use limited patches.

I would see the same features and connectivity in a smaller box doing what a Kemper already does. You would lose the ability to edit on the unit and control it from computer of iPad to save space.

For me the difference is between profiling/capturing and modelling. Using IRs is what makes the most of the tone for a modeller.

Do yourself a favour and give the HX Stomp a go for a fraction of the price and you'll see if you like that approach more. It is easy to program too.

Shipping anything internationally is a disaster at the moment. The lack of passenger flights carrying mail adds significantly to costs and USA leaving the Universal Postal Union made postage rise 49% in total.

Maybe when things return to something like normal.

I think they also had REALLY bad luck launching their most important product ever during a global lockdown without anyone able to do any gigs - neither professionals, nor the smallest hobby band players. Lots of places would not even allow reherasals during months.

You could also say that plenty of people had time on their hands if they wanted to get a QC. Normally it would be a battle to find time to fully get into a new modeller and prepare a full live set of patches.

From what I have read, they seem to have done well and have enjoyed a lot of coverage on both the Kemper forum and The Gear Page.

I use a Sennheiser EW300 system because I have it for live shows.

If you are looking for a budget system for home use though, I am sure I saw a demo of the Koogo guitar wireless system that does it. It can be used as a guitar pack, or in ears and is very cheap. There are youtube videos that explain the positives and negatives.

My problem is: The Kemper does everything I need, so how the hell can I keep supporting the company? Can't even buy a t-shirt :)

They're definitely missing a trick by not making merchandise available. I would take a T shirt and cap:-)

Yes, Kemper keeps getting better after 10 years. So does the Helix after 6 years. 6 is not far away from 10. With line6's innovation and gear production speed, I hope they will never crack the code of Kemperlike profiling.

Agreed. Line 6 don't need to crack Kemper code, as they are different products that both work really well.

I don't understand why people WOULDN'T ask for a new Kemper. Again, it's technology. There's always room for improvement.

I remember interviewing Christoph for the Guitar Center Pro video we did on the KPA shortly after it was launched. He mentioned that there was no need in his mind to improve the profiling algorithm, because to his ears it sounded as good as/indistinguishable from the real thing. Which, of course, is a fine opinion for him or anyone to have. However, we know that it is mathematically and physically NOT a 1 to 1 - so, for the sake of advancement, there is definitely a usefulness in others continuing to evolve the technology, which is exactly what the QC has done with it's more extensive capturing process (more varied test tones, significantly more processing time to assemble the "capture", more CPU to harness). Not to mention the other additions such as stereo, tri-and quad amping - which is something I've been wanting the Kemper to do since day 1.

It is not all the request for features in a Kemper II that are exciting for me. Dual amps, more processing, or a colour screens all seem a bit dull and probably won't make me sound any better. It is what C Kemper will come up with that we don't expect that keeps me interested.

Sadly he might well just move on to a completely different product if history is repeated.