Posts by karlic

I found that the only way I could make a good judgement on transpose effects was to record both. I had The Drop and Kemper after the major update to reduce latency.

At the time I felt The Drop felt slightly lower latency, but the Kemper sounded a bit more natural. That was mostly on 1-3 semitones up or down.

Did anyone actually measure latency between the various options?

Surely all these minor feature updates don't justify a whole new product though. I have never bought a guitar amp and expected it to be an interface. This is just a bonus, like all the updates.

If Kemper were to release a new profiler, I doubt it would be a simple upgrade. CK has always looked for innovation in his career and never simply dropped a faster processor.

Alright, I see... Thank you for your responses.

Not that it is there all the time, I only hear it when I use very light touch, or let a chord fade away, then it starts wobbling. It is not that apparent in a mix with other instruments, but there are some quiet acoustic parts when it matters. I use -2 and -5 mostly.

Cheers.

Use the Stomp version of transpose and look for the check box "smooth chords".

I found the Kemper and Drop pedal to be quite similar. Both take a bit of getting used to, but in a live situation they are exceptionally good. The maximum I use is +/- 3, but more often it is just a semitone.

The difficult part is playing a clean part with any kind of shift, as latency is more apparent to the player. Dirty rhythm and leads are not a problem.

Does anyone know where you can buy Evertune parts in Europe? I can never get an answer from the company themselves and buying from the USA makes delivery more expensive than the part itself.

Personally I agree but not everyone does so trying to reflect the community, not me :).

I think most people agree that Kemper is stronger in some areas and Helix stronger in others and therefore neither by definition/objectively can be perfect. Peopel then look to fill those gaps, regardless if they are "real".

I totally agree that 99% of the audience doesn't give a toss and of their concern ( unless the guitar sound is REALLY bad) will be whether they can hear you and how well you play....its only guitarists that care about this stuff and hence a total waste of time :)

Yes, I got the gist of what you were saying. All in one is perfect for touring light, especially if you have to go on a plane.

I bought Kemper in 2015 just on the basis of cost initially, with Fractal being too expensive in Europe. It has been brilliant and the updates gradually covered all bases for me. The Helix came later for backup and I found similar sounds with the Badonk and Friedman models.

They both offer poly pitch shift and all the usual effects to cover a gig. It is all in one to FoH for me and really useful when your band use in ears.

1) Different combinations/functions not covered - lots of people talk about cascading gain structures etc. which you can't easily replicate. In addition things like the freqout pedal or complex looping...I struggle to understand why people need to use a Kemper for amps and Helix for effects and Axe for switching etc. BUT the flip side is no single unit is perfect. People want perfection...

I'm not sure I fully agree with this. The Kemper and Helix are both perfect units for me live and both do everything I want.

Most guitarist don't need a vast arsenal of delicate studio reverbs to play live. The effects in all these units do a lot more than my original amp, cab and rack effects units.

If you see a band live, I would struggle to hear subtleties between different modellers effects through a PA with drums bass and keyboards masking them.

They've done a few modeller Rig Rundowns, but those tend to be mainly about guitars. The Kemper, Helix or Fractal section is usually very short, but that could be much more interesting.

What about asking what the profiles are based on, how the patches are changed (pedalboard, or remote midi) and what about how they monitor the system.

Many guitarists now go direct to FoH, so it should be better represented.

Yes, everything that's in the Helix (block and fx wise) is exactly the same in the Stomp, including sound. The main difference is that it only has about 1/4 of the computing power of the Helix.

Of course, the other difference is the number of connections. The Stomp sounds exactly the same as other Helix's though.

I think the HX Stomp has one DSP chip and the Helix's have two; so 50% computing power. Quarter is the number of simultaneous processing blocks you can allocate for a patch?

A bit of digging and their engineer tells us all. It also explains why Palmer is written on the Axe Fx:

In addition to the SM57 feeds, Pooch also uses speaker DIs for each instrument, mixing the two signals together by varying amounts according to the tone requirements of the musician.

"I use Palmer PDI09 direct boxes on the guitars," says Pooch. "I've used them for years. "They just sound really great alongside the microphones and that combination is pretty unstoppable.