Posts by karlic

I always assumed that Pure Cab was meant to tame studio profiles for live use. It seems that a profile that fits well into an album mix can often be a bit too bright and thin in a gigging situation where you are not double tracking.

I use the Kemper transpose for a couple of tracks live with just a semitone lower. It was hard at first with a slight delay, but you soon compensate and the tone is very good considering the processing that is going on in real time.

I also wondered if anyone compared this with the Drop pedal to see which has the greater latency?

I did this too (and used 3 as well ;) ) until the good folks at Kemper gave us the ability to adjust Pure Cab per rig.

Clean profiles sound better to me with no pure cab at all.

I understood from the Kemper tutorial video on Pure Cab that clean rigs are not affected by the process. Is this not true now it can be added per profile?

This all sounds great to me, but our live engineer always tells that is good if the venue is ideal. Firstly, there are many badly maintained PAs that put things out of phase and speaker placement is less than perfect at some shows. Also audience members are often standing in front of one speaker stack.

I convinced him on the Kemper stereo widener being eq based, but his instinct is still to pan very narrow.

I used to put a 15ms delay hard right and the original hard left when recording demos to save time. It always gave the impression that one side was louder than the other through. Any detune I try usually ends up getting to sound a bit like chorus when it is strong enough to be noticed.

I am going to try the Kemper stereo widener next time I'm out for shows. I believe the effect adjusts eq differently for each side and you can set the level of this. I know it is more subtle, but you are safe in most situations. Many engineers will simply refuse to pan anything full width live and often PAs have phase issues if not properly maintained or set up.

Looks like I caused some offence in forum rules on this thread, so apologies to all. The comment was in response to something else, but it was drifting off topic too far.

I think you can get where you want to go with either Axe fx or Kemper. The real difference staring me in the face when I decided was the cost. If you live in Europe, Kemper is very hard to ignore and I picked mine up pre-Brexit for just over £1,100. An Axe fx would have cost an alarming £2,200 at the time, which is double.

Effects where never a serious consideration for me, as I was mainly looking for tone plus delay and a few stomps. However, the Kemper effects have been considerably upgraded and are way better than anything I ever used in the past with rack units.

I still hear some great tones from my friend in Florida that records using his Axe, but we can both get to the same result with our respective units.

Really? I dig the Marshall ones but agree that Mesa cab fits better.

I'm certainly not complaining, but sometimes a cab doesn't match well to an amp for what I want to hear. The cab will work really well with a differently voiced head. Looking forward to hearing the EVH results!

Hey, thanks man! It's great that you dig the pack. Definitelly need to spend more time to make a proper playthrough video.
    What cab do you like the most in that pack?

Btw, I'll make a few merged with EVH cab for sure cause some players need merged more than others!

The Mesa OS fits best into a mix, but I can see the Orange working too. I am not that keen on the Marshall with this amp, as there is an uncomfortable edge in the sound.

This caught me out when I first auditioned transpose. Use headphones to check it at a decent volume. It's amazing how easily you can hear the guitar strings acoustically.

Anything merged would be great, but I wouldn't complain if there was never even an update. The pack was really well put together for this amp.

I have the EVH 4x12 cab and really like it, so it will great to see what you get.

I was looking at the Amplifirebox the other day, I love the concept and form factor. Would love to have a Kemper in a box like that. Amp profiles only, no effects.

I agree with this, but the problem is many people have slightly different needs. I would still need all the ins and outs that take up space, but a player only Kemper that would fit in hand baggage would be perfect.