Posts by karlic

I got mine 18 months ago just before the pound started to bomb and it was £1,179. Anything outside the UK will be more expensive if you check the exchange rates. We have lost almost a third of the value in 2 years.

The reason for the hiss on the MEI100 is because the treble boost of around 6db cannot be turned off from what I read. On the MEI1000 it is switchable though. Great systems for the money though. You have to look at how many shows and at what level they will be to justify what product you buy.

I don't remember amp settings for those 26 profiles in the pack. But this next batch of 15 will be merged.It's very time consuming for me in this case to make merged profiles, just because I make a big number covering the whole amp + cabs + all kinds of mic combinations.
    But I see that the people are satisfaid with 15-20 merged profiles per pack, with mostly 1-2 cabs and 57 or 57/421 mic combo.

I completely understand the profiling and mic setup is very time consuming. I just thought that with sellers making merged profiles, it would save time to make direct and studio profiles with the same settings. That way you wouldn't be making a third session to create new merged profiles.

I must admit to regularly using the XLR output on my Kemper, as many projects come through the studio at varying sample rates. With guitar frequencies not occupying much below 100hz or above 10k, it has never been a problem with a decent converter. The outputs on the Kemper are good enough.

The LD Systems MEI1000 is stereo and pretty amazing for its price if you're on a budget, but there is an audible difference in quality to the Sennheiser. My friend had a Shure PSM200 and it didn't sound any better than the LD though. In fact it had the disadvantage of being mono and that is a real problem if you want a whole mix.

On the few projects I have mixed at 96k, it is hard to know if you are just trying to convince yourself it sounds superior. I do think that plugins perform better, but in the end there is more to be gained by concentrating a little more time on the mix.

High sample rates benefit acoustic instruments, vocals and cymbals. The only point I can see of more processing power is effects. I have always found that the Kemper outperformed anything I have had before in that area and continues to surprise me with every software update.

I guess new hardware would be good for the company, as they don't charge for software updates. Other moddelers have made numerous new units.

I just use it for a few parts live with nothing too complicated in the playing. It works well with the updated software, but there will always be latency with such pitch shifting in real time. For recording I would use pitch n time if you don't want to retune.

So many albums have been mixed on NS10s that have less bass end than HS8s and engineers use other speakers to check the bottom end. I think most prefer not to use sub woofers as a solution too. Better not to have very low end when working on the all important mid frequencies for foreground and then check the bass separately. I guess if the Sub is switchable it would be a good solution.

spdif is the easiest once you are setup. I have never had a problem with the analogue outputs if you have reasonable converters though. A guitar tone is mainly mid frequencies too.

You can use the XLR outs, or even jack to a DI box. Don't forget to get the clocking right if you are using spdif though, or there will be clicks.