Posts by Cederick

I've been messing around with free profiles (from the online Rig Manager) with my Kemper and while there are some decent profiles there, I was never really convinced.

From the first time I tried Kemper, I instantly loved the "TAF \m/ Van Halen" profile and I still do, and no other profiles have really had "it" like that one... But I wanted to try some more and finally decided to buy a commercial profile pack.

And what better place to look for than The Amp Factory and their 5150 profiles? Hehehe! Downloaded and while I initially thought "well, it's good" it wasn't until I started tweaking with the settings it really shines... EXCELLENT thrash metal sound. String definition from hell!!!

It's the first time buying a Kemper profile pack and I might do it again, seems like it's totally worth it.

Here I play some random thrash riff with my Fender Musicmaster loaded with an EMG 60 in the bridge. :love:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Thanks! I dialed up the Definition to 10 and now it sounds good, haha.

I never really understood the difference between "definition" and "clarity", but I watched this video:

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

And understand that the "definition" gives string clarity... Despite the name. Haha! Anyway, now it sounds heaps better.

I only thought those were glorified EQ controls.

Before I played with "definition" the only control I really used was "pick" which is still awesome, but I dont have to set it as high to get good picking sounds.

The difference between S/PDIF and KPA headphones out is normal. It means that the D/A converter and the amplifier inside your interface is not as good (at least different) than the ones inside the KPA. Use the analog outs of the KPA, or get a better interface.

As far as finding some great high gain tones: it takes time, but well worth it. Most of my high gain favorites are free. I can assure you they are out there somewhere. You just need to find the ones you like.

From what I understand there's no big difference in different SPDIF inputs?

Actually, it might as well just be worse headphone output quality. It's a Tascam US-144MKII so it's not the highest standard, but still good enough for me.

Yeah I have headphone space down to 0 already

My "clean sense" is down to -12 otherwise it gets red all the time when playing.
    My distortion sense is at 0.0

I've made a couple of "lifeless sound" threads before and now I'm at it again... But please read anyway :love:

While I do get "good sounds" out of the Kemper (I use SPDIF connection) I noticed today when comparing back and forth (several times) between my interface headphones out, and the Kemper headphones out (usually I don't use headphones, but I did it now for the experiments sake) and I do think I can hear a difference!!!!!!!

I haven't done this before, but I think the Kemper Headphones Out sounds better than the headphones in my interface. It's a Tascam US-144mkii.

I always have trouble getting a kickass metal sound... I look for some free Kemper profiles that sounds great on the preview clips. and once I install and try them out myself, they sound like shit.

So I'm definitely doing something wrong, because so far, I've only liked 2-3 profiles, and they are all 5150s, and one I use most, is actually the stock TAF \m/ Van Halen 8)

But still, I keep comparing my recorded guitars to album guitars (lloaded into my daw) and I never get a sound that's remotely as sharp, cutting and define!!!! Doesn't matter how many profiles I try!!! There's something dull, and cranking the treble/presence doesn't do any good either, I know I shouldn't take them to 5.0 ||

This reminds of this thread:
    Kemper Main Outs sound different (worse) than headphone/monitor out

Does anybody know if there will be some issues if I install lets say a EMG Afterburner boost on my guitar? Will the input of my Kemper be clipping?

I already have my clean input sense at -12 and if I just go up to -11 it's starting to clip (and I've already adjusted my pickup down a bit)

I have seen others with this exact issue too, and I still have no idea how to get rid of it?!

Yeah you're right, it definitely sounds like it when I think about it.

Also, this was a quite exceggerated example, I don't really need that much "fizz" but something like it, haha.

Regarding the Priest cover; I don't get why people don't like it, I think it's awesome! And Ram It Down is a terrific fucking album.
    Coming from someone who actually likes Turbo, haha. I usually don't like most glam/hair rock from the 80s, but Judas Priest did it in a way I like from some reason

what is your monitoring setup?
    the better the studio monitors, the better the Profiler sounds.
    you seem to have a bottleneck somewhere.

are you familiar with close mic-ed guitar sounds?

Yes I have recorded tube amps with miced cabs a few times, and tube preamps with IRs as well (which was my gateway to wanting a Kemper since I mostly record at home, and that Engl preamp wasn't versitile enough)

When did this notice start? This statement indicates that it was OK until some point where you started to notice.

*Edited*
    I just looked at your recent activity and I see a common pattern of just realizing things... This all seems rather suspect to me...

Actually it starts to make some sense now when you ask about it:

I have been recording a lot with headphones in my new apartment, but lately I've had to use headphones and it MAY be the headphones that makes this sound... I couldn't hear the fizz in either my main monitor speakers or even kitchen stereo...

I'm not sure, but it MIGHT be the phones... Hahaha. I'm so stupid :)

When did this notice start? This statement indicates that it was OK until some point where you started to notice.

*Edited*
    I just looked at your recent activity and I see a common pattern of just realizing things... This all seems rather suspect to me...

Yeah I'm sorry for recent bitching about things, but I've only had the kemper for a few months, and during that time I had to record an album as quickly as I can, and just chose a TAF 5150 profile that came with it, good sound, but I might find better. And now recently I've been really fucking critical about stuff... I have so much recordings coming up soon, and I want everything to be perfect, so I guess I have more time to look into small details now

With fizzy I don't mean that fizzy sound I talk about in the other thread.

I'm talking the fizzy sound of this (not the "normal sounding" guitar)

I could get a similar sound using the multiband enhancer, but I couldn't get Kemper to understand it

Quote from Cederick: “So, is this a common issue with Kemper (because it's digital) or am I doing something wrong here?”
    The Profiler has proven countless times in real world tests made by top industry professionals and thousands of users that it…

But these are made by "renowned" profilers like TAF and SinMix (even tho free ones, I haven't got around to decide to buy commercial profiles yet...) so they should be good.

But I hear this annoying fizz that is no different to my other cheap model amps

I'm glad you guys like it, but it's not really my thing, haha. I want a more fizzy/distorted tone, which I have only found to be possible through the multiband enhancer I have borrowed of a friend.

Now, I haven't tried all combos and effects ever, so I might try some other stuff in the future.

Does somebody know how to make Dropbox links that doesn't need to be downloaded? Like, a dropbox player or something. I KNOW I have seen others post dropbox links that can be played directly, but I dont know how ...

Yeah it was my first real profiling session (and 2nd attempt ever) so I have time to learn it better.

And yeah, I'm sorry for the sloppy playing on second half (the profile) because I have an hours bus travel to rehearsal with guitar and Kemper and laptop and everything. So it was a bit clunky to get there, and I couldn't spend all day either.

I guess the sound itself is nice, but not what I was hoping to capture that day. I'm not giving up, but we'll see when I get around for second attempt :)

So, I've started to notice that there is that "cheap digital fizz" in Kemper, just like my Roland Microcube and Peavey Vypyr...
    Is it supposed to be like that? I can't remember getting this sound with real recorded Dual Rectifier or Engl e530 / e430...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6sxz…38hw/distortion1.mp3?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0652…1b3z/distortion2.mp3?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/cy08…4l6m/distortion3.mp3?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/xf9p…wyql/distortion4.mp3?dl=0

I get this fizz both with SPDIF and XLR main output, I can't hear any big different between them. And I don't have the Gain knob on max either, it's ofter at 1-2 o clock max.

So, is this a common issue with Kemper (because it's digital) or am I doing something wrong here?

Really? I shoud have thought about that when I still had my shit over at rehearsal... now it's all back at home, haha. Never knew that... Gah!!!

Anyway, I was simply in my rehearsal and I was using headphones for monitoring.

I recorded on my laptop and listened to the results there by first recording the reference amp and then recording the profile - it NEVER sounded similar. Okay it sounded similar, but not exactly the same

Here's a mp3 of the real amp and then Kemper... Double track left and right (I was stupid and didn't notice I was playing sloppy during profile recordings)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/dt2r…strealthenkemper.mp3?dl=0

(Keep in mind I don't like this sound myself, because I had to unplug my Multiband Enhancer since the Kemper couldn't "understand it" and the amp without enhancer sounded super boring...)

What do you mean?

If I record an album and do recordings during a long time, and want to have a consistant sound, I can't go around trying to find the exact spot of the volume knob. Everything has to be constistant.

I've tried now, and it does NOOOOOT work. Sounds like shit, really. Think of the worst possible early Line 6 digital distortion at max, but with really weird dynamics...

I thought I might have does something wrong, but I profiled again and sounded the same, realy horrible.

Disconnected the multiband enhancer and it worked fine, but I couldn't get the sound I was out after :(