Posts by Monkey_Man

Good luck, Aussie Bro'.

Hopefully it was something innocent like a required editing tweak or something. I sure hope it wasn't an NDA breach or something like that, but even if it was, you'd think the offending parts could be edited out. Hmm... :/

Just set it up the way you want it in one patch, then just lock it. You could also use an external wah pedal.

Indeed.

I recommend that once you've set a Rig up with the wah as you prefer and locked the slot, you save this as your default patch. Naming it beginning with an underscore ("_") or whatever your preferred method for ensuring it rises to the top of lists will make it easy-to-find.

This way you'll always have this super-quick starting point on-hand.

I've banged on for years about the Kemper's Cab component's not being a static snapshot and how it's IMHO therefore superior to typical speaker / cabinet IR captures.

Finally someone else is offering more in this regard, so good on Bluguitar. :thumbup:

Awesome, Vinny. ;)

Seems you did the RT; that 1U gap is something I swear by for warmer gear too. Based on my observations of the line's users these past 6 years, I can only conclude that you were very-unlucky, you poor bugger.

I too loved CueMix's simple approach - a mix layer for each output pair on your interface/s. So quick-and-handy. MOTU's gone the whole hog with the new system 'though, and I reckon it's due to the huge networking (and resulting channel counts and complexities) abilities of the AVB line. Overkill for we mere home-studio types for the most part IMHO, but I can see why the company went this way - it'd have had to offer two separate apps in order to satisfy both those with simple needs as well as the heavy-hitters.

The power supplies on these seem pretty bad. Especially for the money.

I've been following the mega thread at GS since the AVB line's initial release (133 pages since July 2014), and I can't remember having seen any reported power-supply failures, Vinny. I can't help but wonder if you've neglected to leave 1U-sized empty spaces above and below your units in the rack/s.

I remember back in the day MOTU recommended this for its 24I/O units, which ran hot due to the 48 AD / DA convertors on board, and your 24ai apparently runs even-hotter. If your room is warmish and you haven't left these spaces, I'd say there's a good chance you've created an outside-spec environment internally.

The routing software is a bit weird too. The signal flow comes from the top of the app for the inputs then goes left to the outputs. Really weird for me to get my head around a signal flow not just going left to right.

Apparently once one has one's head around it, it's simple to set up and leave untouched, Vinny.

It might help to think of it as a sophisticated patch bay. As Lady Gaia at GS said:

Most signals go through the matrix twice. Once from a physical input to a mixer input, and a second time from a mixer output to a physical output.

In your setup all your sources, such as analog and digital inputs plus your “from computer” inputs, should be connected to mixer inputs “In 1” through however many you need to accommodate every channel you use at once. That gets everything into the mixer where you can blend signals to taste without touching the matrix.

Then your “Main L/R” and “Monitor L/R” sources should be connected to your analog 1/2 outputs and headphone outputs, respectively. Now you can hear everything coming out of the mixer through the main outputs, and the headphones will be identical until you solo something, which is what causes the monitor mix to diverge from the mains.

Once you have this in place you can start thinking about using other analog outs as sends from aux or group busses.

HTH, mate, although I suspect you've figured this stuff out already. Nevertheless, it sometimes helps to hear someone else's method of explaining it.

Better conversion please.

If you're talking about the D/A, A/D or both conversions, CN7, FWIMBW I can't for the life of me fault it. If it were to be "improved", I'll wager that nobody will be able to discern any difference.

Ability to use the Kemper as a plug-in (to avoid pesky digital connections), even if you have to have the hardware act as a dongle. The dongle is better than no plug-in... Or have a separate dongle scheme.

This has been discussed many times here, as you're probably aware, and the consensus seems to be that Kemper would be well-advised to persist with hardware implementation only in order to protect its IP. Helix Native has been cracked and POD Farm fell to the pirates not long after it was released even 'though it employed POD xt or POD X3 units as dongles.

Unfortunately the Kemper's acting as a dongle won't stop those bastards; they'd see it as a challenge and would find a way, as they always seem to do. :pinch:

I'm wondering if Neural DSP will even figure a way out to import Kemper rigs... I'm not familiar with the tech, but it could spell more urgency if they do it... Especially if the conversion is superior, because then it might make Kemper profile sound even better, but on a non Kemper device.

The Overloud plugin, which claims to use Kemper Profiles, isn't restricted to any given sample rate, and those who've compared matching Rigs on both systems claim there's no difference.

This points to what I said earlier - that Kemper's conversion is, for all intents and purposes, stellar.

Given the company history and the reputation of the plugins they've released, I think most people feel it's a safe bet that the hardware will sound at least as good, or perhaps better since they have impedance switching on the inputs (similar to how many ppl say the hardware Helix sounds better than Helix Native).

Thank you, Ben. ;)

100% agree with all points, Ingy. Beautifully-said, mate. ;)

At this point, as we wait for the livestream which is 97 minutes away, I can't resist breaking out my old friend, the Gartner Hype Cycle:

Please forgive my ignorance, but why are so many of you guys pre-ordering without even having heard the unit?

Is it a case of "if it's close-enough I'll be happy because of the form factor" or the ergonomics or whatever, or a fear that stock might be limited for a long time... or both?

I've never been comfortable about ordering something I haven't heard. Matter of fact, I've never done this. :/

We’ve never really got an answer to what the machine is capable of, so we don’t know.

But how much does it take to have loaded two rigs at the same time? Realistically. Does anyone know this for sure? I know nothing about this, but imagine that it could be done. Maybe they’ve already tested this many times and we just don’t know about it.

Did you read my thread that I linked to, mate?

Given that Kemper has stated many times that it's not possible to run two Profiles at the same time on the current hardware, I proposed the data-merging of two Profiles to-taste before rendering (being played).

There’s something about hitting a profile with the Pure Booster that’s much nicer than simply increasing profile gain.

Nope. It has been clearly stated by ckemper that it's the same.

Please do not derail this thread with this kind of drivel, especially when there's a history of Kemper co. telling us our ears are wrong. Back to the Neural release...

Seriously, Jeff? :huh:

Firstly, it's not drivel; Ingolf cited Christoph himself.

Secondly, Ingolf used just 12 words to clarify something for Matt, something he appreciated, as evidenced here:

fascinating. I will revisit this then, thank you Ingolf!