Posts by Monkey_Man

Thank you, Thumas!

Just a small note:

The masking tape will affect the tone even 'though you're close-mic'ing on-axis. Probably not by much, but there will be an effect 'cause the off-axis bleed to the mic will be impeded a little bit.

If you could use something narrower to mark your chosen spot, even cut-down strips of the same tape, there'll theoretically be less tainting of the "authentic " tone.

Does the regular "toaster" unit have pre-sets or would I need the remote for that?

As Zapman said, it has Performances (banks of Presets to suit Remote / live use), but it also has "Presets" (Rigs), as do all the units. They all function the same way as they share the same software; only the form factors vary between models.

I suppose I could set the Stage unit (as Ingolf suggested) on the desk or table as well.

Actually, I suggested that, figuring you'd be like me and not be able to stoop or hunch over for extended periods.

If you want to be able to control things via your feet as well 'though, as I suggested, you'd need a way to be able to raise and lower the Stage as you switch between tweaking and playing. IMHO a Rack or Toaster with Remote would suit your needs better as you'll be able to do both at all times. The downside being that it'll set you back more than the Stage unit alone, but as you'd know, we quickly forget wallet pain if we're happily using and enjoying our music gear.

I appreciate it!!

The pleasure is all-mine, mate. ;)

The Stage would theoretically be ideal but you may have to raise it for editing so you don't have to stoop / hunch over. If you can't conveniently raise and lower it, there's also the option of doing all your tweaking remotely via the Rig Manager app.

Yes, you should be able to achieve superb tones at any volume you choose, even really-low.

Welcome to the forum and hopefully the club soon, and God bless, mate. ;):saint:

It is puzzling :)

Indeed it is, mate.

Is this some kind of resistance issue with the Ibanez or am I doing something else wrong?

I didn't answer this one 'cause I can't see it being an issue, FWIMBW.

The fact that it works with the Helix tells me you should just be able to plug in and play. Also, Kemper says its input is designed to cover a wide range of possible pickup strengths.

Welcome from Melbourne James! 8)

I can only think of two possibilities, mate:

1) Is it possible you plugged into the headphone input when switching to the bass?

2) Are you using the same lead? If not, please try this. It's rare, but I've experienced situations where certain jack plugs don't quite make contact properly (at the tip I think, due to its being too-round or too-pointy) with a device's sockets and yet they'll be fine on another.

Don't hesitate to disagree with me or add your own thoughts.

I'll only point to the few areas in which I disagree. Great effort putting this together after only a month, BTW; well done. 8)

1. Turn off "pure cabinet" in the global settings and you'll get closer to the tones you are looking for.

This of course depends on whether or not one likes the sounds of off-axis mic'ing.

Those who're allergic to the "phasey high-end bite" that often results should find Pure Cabinet invaluable. Ballpark noob setting 3/10.

3. Most profiles sound bad "out of the box". Working with the Kemper is all about tweaking.

Unless you find a Profiler who's tastes jive with yours, in which case almost all Rigs in a pack can often turn out to be eminently-useable sans tweaking.

4. If you (like me) already spent hours with your real amps and pedals in order to find the perfect sound, you'll spend even more time turning knobs on the Kemper. The Kemper almost guarantees that you can find the tones you're looking for but it takes even more time than the analogue way. I was wrong when I thought the Kemper lets me focus more on the music than the chase for tone.

I think this depends. If you find Profilers who fit the description in my previous "answer", the split second it takes to switch from one Rig to another in a pack cannot be compared to the time it'd take to tweak an amp's EQ and gain in order to go from clean to crunch to heavy, for example.

7. Don't listen to everyone telling you that adjusting definition is all you need to do in order to figure out if a profile works for you or not. In my case boosting bass and treble often gets me closer to a good sound than definition.

Have you mix-tested this M.O.?

Sound(!) advice, but I'd be careful adding bass at the best of times if a Rig is intended to be used for recording.

9. Recording with SPDIF is a MUST. Investing in an interface with SPDIF input is totally worth it.

It's not a must. The Kemper's analogue-output quality is superb. It's also quiet-enough to make analogue reamping practical as well.

Thanks for tryin' to help out noobs, mate. Great effort. :thumbup:

And btw Rosetta is something that apparently just runs in the background undetected, not something you have to mess with to get non supported apps to work right.

That's how Rosetta worked in the transition from PPC to Intel, but not how this new version works, mate.

What this one does is translate apps during installation; there is no further involvement beyond that point. This means that there's no ongoing CPU hit by a software-translation layer as was the case previously. There's still a theoretical penalty 'cause apps are translated but not optimised for AS, the latter being something only devs can do, which they will over time. In the meantime 'though it's turned out to be an excellent transition tool by all accounts.

- After the profile was over it asked if I wanted to refine and I said yes, and it seemed like it was trying to profile the amp more, but by then I'd already hit standby, so no sound, so I hit end. Did this cause any problems to the profile I just made?

No, it wouldn't have.

Refining has been less-important for a few years now 'cause the original capture's usually very-close to as good as you'll get it to be.

- When I saved the profile it oddly used the default name of the last profile I had been using earlier, so I added one character and hit save, then changed the name and hit resave. Seems there should be a better way to name the profile you just made.

That's normal behaviour. If you're making multiple Profiles from the same setup it makes sense to name it and fill the metadata fields with the appropriate information (cab & mic used, studio name and so on), save that and then make sure the Rig is selected before making additional Profiles. This way you'll only need to make minor tweaks to the metadata and name in order to fully describe the subsequent Rigs created.

- In Rig Manager my new profile has an Amp Name and Cabinet Name that are the same as those of the purchased rig I'd been using earlier. I don't wnat these in my profile as they are from someone else. Why are they there and how do I get rid of them?

Explained in previous answer. That was obviously the selected Rig at the time. Covered in the manual.

- Isn't the cab from the profile I just made? Why does the Cab Name have any name at all?

Also explained in my second answer.

Once you've got all the fields filled out appropriately, you could save the resulting Rig as a template to work from when Profiling the same setup at a future date.

Congrats on your first Profile, mate. 8)

The M britt free profiles on RM are old ones?

I don't know Yoav. I think it's a mix of old and newish.

MBritt profiles have a very characteristic darker tone. You either like it or you don't.

As I said earlier Daniel, they suddenly became less-bassey from the Crank ’n Go Pack from November 2018 onwards.

IIRC Michael said he was no longer using the cab he'd used as standard prior to this and I assume that's why the results are brighter and less-bassey now.

I just checked Guido out and he have some really nice high gain metal style profiles!

Told you mate. ;)

I assume you listened to the Soundcloud demos on his website. If not, they're the best way to easily compare packs 'cause he showcases each one's lead, rhythm and clean components. The free Rig Pack in Rig Manager may not have the heaviest stuff in it. I don't know, but it would be logical to audition them too, assuming you haven't already.

No worries, Yoav!

Yes, Michael's older stuff sounded darker. My M.O. until late 2018 was to routinely lower the bass knob in the Stack EQ from, say, 12 to 10 o'clock. Everything since and including the Crank ’n Go Pack from November 2018 has had less bass and been more-balanced IMHO, which makes the Profiles seem brighter and have more bite / mix-cut-through out-of-the-box.

Yes, Bert doesn't really do very-high-gain. Not "metal" high-gain, but there're plenty of great rock / cock-rock candidates in his packs. Bert's the mojo guy AFAIC. Really-organic sounds.

Guido has some heavy stuff with plenty of balls. Maybe check out some of his high-gain monsters; he's Profiled many.

He'd use a Helluva-lot less power, save space and reduce complexity if he made Profiles of every combination of amps, cabs and mic's through his Neve (and other preamps if he so wished) at settings he uses most and replaced the whole shebang with a Kemper.

As a bonus he could sell the Profiles, so instead of bleeding money for power and maintenance he could actually have it trickling in and boosting his studio earnings as opposed to draining them.

He probably charges a packet due to the "uniqueness" of the setup 'though, the time savings being used to justify a high hourly rate to the clients.