Posts by Monkey_Man

thenoodle over at GearSlutz posted this:

Paramount and Universal will gobble up several dozen fully tricked out models. I was talking with several guys over at Universal yesterday who will buy for themselves as well as naming dozens of entities right here in town who'll also buy loaded systems.

That's just a few sets of guys in one town, so no doubt this thing will meet whatever projections cupertino is aiming for.

So it appears that the high-end graphics guys are gonna jump on board and buy the uber-expensive fully-loaded system who's price stunned us, which leaves we lowly audio geeks... waiting and wondering...

Indeed; that's ridiculous, man.

You could have around 350 Cabs and 600 Presets covering Stomps, Reverb, Pitch, EQ and whatever and these will require 16mb to back up. The full .kpabackup file for the figures I just gave, the one you end up with on your stick if you use the Backup / Restore function, weighs in at 7.9mb.

100mb will allow you to store around a dozen of these full-backup files, plus all your cabs and presets separately (they'll all be in the full-backup files anyway) and the latest OS (kaos.bin) in case you need to reinstall it for whatever reason.

So, given that 100mb is likely enough, the wise thing to do IMHO would be to get the smallest stick you can. 1G would be perfect IMHO, if you can find one. Generally these days I'm finding most vendors start at either 8 or 16GB; either is fine. 256GB is "cutting-edge" and therefore extremely-expensive (will drop to $30 next year, but currently hundreds). Always pays IMHO to upgrade stick size a year or more after a new size hits the market.

Hope all this helps, man; I really tried to put some perspective on the 256G choice. :)

Wow, no idea how you got this figure. :o

The CPU's initial price will be USD 749 when it hits the market. The ridiculously underwhelming GPU, RAM and SSD configuration of the base model would lead me to believe that the upcoming Mac Pro is more like 100%+ more expensive than an equivalent Windows PC build.

It has been discussed several times in the GearSlutz thread, Martin. HP and Dell systems (not "home builds") of a similar spec were compared. Both came in at decently over 8 grand.

All this stuff's way over my pay grade, so I think I might have to bow out on discussing the finer points 'cause all I've done so far is parrot what I've read over there, where some apparently-knowledgeable folks have chimed in.

As for the monitor, as I said previously, it's not the subject of this thread, and yes, I also parroted what I'd read over at GS on this.

If you refer to calibrated class 1 monitors, then it's more like 70% cheaper (for a reason).

It's obviously not intended to compete with $12000 models based on the price alone. 30% cheaper, I can swallow, but 70% just doesn't seem realistic, even to a luddite like me. The only comparisons I've seen were with $7000+ models that it's claimed it's a direct competitor to.

Once again, I'm way out of my depth here, so I'll respectfully bow out of that one for good. I was excited to see that a tower had finally dropped and that Apple had thereby confirmed for real that it hadn't abandoned the desktop market as has been feared by a great number of musicians for some years, hence the thread.

Your knowledge of "graphics stuff" (my luddite term) is impressive from my lowly perspective, Martin. :huh:

Cheers mate.

Indeed, Michael.

The monitor's a serious high-end-graphics job, suited to colour-proofing and all that jazz. Never intended for regular-computer users and it competes with $7000+ monitors, probably beating them, as is Apple's way.

Apparently the Strandbergs are really-easy to play, so if you like an easy action, I think you'll love it.

Been considering one myself for a while 'cause playability is critically-important due to long-term hand injuries.

I think $999 for a monitor stand kind of underlines Apple's "logic" that its fans will pay obscene amount of money for their products.

It's despicable really, they probably make the stands in China for $40-100 a pop. Can't see them costing more to manufacture really.

Then again, I don't see these machines targeted at regular users. They are far too expensive for most homes, even the base model.

To be fair, the stand's an anomaly price-wise, AJ. An elephant-in-the-room-style anomaly, for sure. :D That said, I think you'll find it's world-class, if not the best. There's more to it than meets the eye, and no, I don't think you'd be able to manufacture it for $40-100 in any country, let alone the US.

Mac user here, and have been for the last 20+ years. Love them, but the fact that its $999 just for the monitor stands makes me think that somehow, apple are taking the pi55! No doubt all the 'emperor's new clothes', must have the latest tech, money no object types will be rushing out to buy it, but us commercial users have just been priced out of the marketplace! Lets see how much it is in 6 months to a year! >>> reaches for the latest PC catalogue<<<

The monitor is roughly 30% cheaper than comparable models from other manufacturers. The tower is 25%+ cheaper than equivalent builds from Dell et al.

The only thing missing is that mid-tier level we long-term Mac Pro users are accustomed to as a means of getting into the model line, upgrading CPU's and RAM as time goes on. That's what hurts we lowly audio types, and we can only hope that Apple hears our loud, persistent voices to this effect and offers something more real-world for us. Not another iMac or Mac mini, but a tower we can stuff our goodies into as we always have... IMHO :/

I hear a lot about "blindness", but folks seem to keep using the stand as a straw man. Not only has it got nothing to do with the new Cheese Grater™, but it (and the monitor) aren't what this thread's about. A lot of things were announced at the conference and the only one the thread's concerned with is the Mac Pro. I don't know about you guys, but I've never automatically updated a monitor when I switched to a newer-model Mac Pro. I've been running the same old Dell monitor for about 17 years.

Hey Tim, welcome to the forum, mate.

Firstly, the process can take a while, so for starters you might want to try again and leave it for a while; as long as you can, really. I've only formatted 16GB sticks, which doesn't take too long, but it's still kinda-slow. If your stick is substantially-bigger, it could be that this is why it's taking so much longer. I don't know what bearing, if any, the size has on the length of the process, but I'm just putting it out there.

Failing this, you could try formatting the stick to FAT32 on your computer; IIRC this is the format the Kemper uses.

That's great, Martin.

As I said, I only have one room for both mixing and recording. The adjacent room is the kitchen and isn't an option, unfortunately.

I'll live with what I have, but should I ever happen upon one of the 10dB Mac Towers, it'll be silent Heaven for sure.

No i can't build a 10db machine, but i doubt in reality that's needed.

I hate to be "that guy", but I would really appreciate a machine that was that quiet, Marcus.

Every model I've owned since the G3 has been audible even across the room, which is a combined monitoring-and-recording space; all have generated between 30 and 50 dB. Even 'though I've housed them all in a thick wooden rack with a front door, the rear has by necessity been left open for ventilation purposes, and the sound escapes therethrough.

10dB would be simply-amazing... and to be frank, astonishing to me. I can dream... :/

Dayum, sorry I missed you mate. If you're ever down in Melbourne...

Yeah, the Aussie "mark-ups" are huge; that baseline machine'll be close to 10 grand. I feel for the South Africans 'though; the value of the Rand fell so much since apartheid was dismantled that I think a Kemper is over 10 grand.

Of course I agree with you in terms of bang-for-buck, raw performance and the AMD vs Intel thing. Only problem with that is that for those who're Mac peeps, a Hackintosh would be the only way to take advantage of that, besides switching to PC, and that's a rabbit hole I hope we don't go down in this thread 'cause it's got a gravity of its own.

So, for the Mac-for-lifers, it's Mac mini, iMac or iMac Pro, MacBook or this new Mac Pro. The trash cans won't be available for too long after the new cheese grater drops, you'd think. Those who like to plunk everything into one box refuse to go the Mac mini, iMac and laptop routes and have been waiting around for, well, forever(!) for a new desktop tower to drop (yeah this is me).

Now that this has finally happened, I s'pose I and many others are hoping for an intermediate model or options to dumb down the baseline model. A much-cheaper graphics card and no SSD spring to mind (we already have SSD's we can plunk in there by now)...

Anyway, thank you for chiming in, bud. 8)

you CAN build a better performing machine(than the lower end models) that will be just as quiet for half that price

Honestly Marcus, you think you can build a 10dB machine that outperforms it? Really? :/

Also for $999.00 you could buy a nice new guitar or microphone instead of a 'STAND' .

This has nothing to do with the Mac Pro. The new monitors are roughly 30% cheaper than the competition in that space, but of course the stand price is a joke. Somehow I think Apple will have to review it before it drops; nobody's happy with that. :huh:

8 years ago, Apple told us we didn't need PCI as it was dead and forced a poorly implemented TB1 on us all. The rest of the sane world carried on with PCI. Apple will now tell us 'look, we've got PCI, see how much better it is than the old MAc pro' ... A Complete U turn...same thing they did when they went to Intel CPU's. :D

... and the company's had the balls to at least admit that it got it wrong. I for one am stoked that it's re-embraced PCI.

Huge companies like Disney/Pixar stopped using Apple hardware a few years ago because of all this and went to HP Z workstations, they also offer on site warranty for 5 years in the price.

The HP Z's are 25%+ more-expensive, and Pixar has recently indicated that it's going to go with Apple now, even partnering with it in development. So has a bunch of other high-end-graphics studios.

I'm just always questioning the marketing blabber, for example in this case (literally :) ) the term "360° access". There's nothing you can do on the front and back side. so this already cuts it down for me by half.

Well, I've always been frustrated by having to poke my hands into cavities and having my finger "strength" compromised by the awkward angles I've been forced to employ when swapping out components. The so-called 360º access at the very least will free my arms up to approach from more-comfortable angles, something I'd appreciate, Martin. Some may not care about this, but my compromised finger strength going back to a disaster suffered during my late teens as always made gripping, twisting, turning, pulling and pushing components in and out of housings tricky, if not impossible sometimes.

Then what do you plan to do on either of the 2 sides left? Access the drive bays? Oops, there are none it seems...

Good news: 3rd-party internal chassis have already been announced, with more to follow. One will still be able to add up to 4 spinners at least.

Hey, I get you guys. Just attempting to tame some of what I perceive as hyperbole. Many of the points you both made are good ones and TBH fall way above my pay grade. Thanks guys. <3

Ahh... but you may have missed the fact that Apple has chosen to use both sides of the motherboard, Martin.

This has all sorts of benefits, as I'm sure you can imagine. RAM can be placed close to the CPU without heatsinks' getting in the way, for example. This has also allowed Apple to compartmentalise "heat zones", allowing hotter-running components' dissipation to be better-isolated from cooler ones.

Anyway, I can't see how else unfettered access to both sides of the motherboard could be achieved other than doors on both sides, which I imagine is what you'd have preferred. This wouldn't be as convenient as 360º access 'though, which the new design allows. The all-in-one cover guarantees perfect air seals as well as contributes to overall rigidity, according to Apple, so I think the long-term benefits might override your inconvenience observation, which I agree with, BTW, but as I implied, I'd be prepared to live with that in exchange for the design-engineering benefits long-term.

Gosh, listen to me - "I'd be prepared to live with...". I mean, seriously? I'd be prepared to live with this thing if it required I carry it on my back 24/7... all 18kg of it. :D

Well, let's hope not, brother. :D

As is often the case with Apple's innovations, some aspects of the design are sure to trickle through to other products.

I found an interesting comment by Doug Brooks, the Mac Pro's product manager, on AppleInsider:

"We've measured the system when it's on the floor next to your desk at 10 decibels. It's actually quieter than the iMac Pro or a current Mac Pro, which are around 12 decibels."

When he talks about the current Mac Pro, he's referring of course to the Trash Can, the quietness of which is legendary given that it's a "Mac Pro". This is IMHO an incredible achievement. The latest of the old-generation Cheese Graters had IIRC 9 fans and were obviously way noisier. Yet more "value" you'd get over and above buying a Dell or HP equivalent for 25%+ more.

These profilers include free demos in the hope that users will buy their other packs so they have an incentive to include good quality profiles that represent their style in the factory content.

Actually, Kemper itself chooses the Rigs that're included, Alan. That's not to say that the vendors don't submit carefully-chosen batches; just that the company auditions and determines exactly which Rigs are included.