Posts by Monkey_Man

Have another coffee, SamBro'. :D

Anyway, I was referring of course to your plan to SamBroximate (there's another one - had that coffee yet?) some of those vintage wah pedals.

We wait with baited-and-therefore-smelly breath, Sammy!

I know, I know... I'll say it for you:

"You should try gargling this coffee". :D

You're absolutely right, the player. We ended up in the toilet somehow, and I'm surely guilty as heck.

Sorry mate. How about this?

Distant sound sources exhibit reduced high frequencies, as well as low ones. It therefore makes sense to band-limit (HPF and LPF) both the source and perhaps the reverb as well.

Long-lengthed early reflections (greater time gaps between the initial flutter echoes, before they become diffused into reverberant tails) provide the clues as to the size of the space involved. I'd therefore try increasing the pre-delay (time before the first reflection is heard) whilst obviously choosing an algorithm such as a canyon, stadium or great-hall-styled one.

Set the dry / wet mix to 100% wet and tweak away!

Hope that helps; it's all I've got besides useless toilet humour.

... as opposed to "this thread is dead"... agreed, Frank!

So why is it that he's banned when quite a few are getting away with terribly offensive vulgar language? I asked myself

I've noticed and appreciate the fact that the mods are willing to consider the context and frequency of said language, Dean. To me, it's exactly as it was in high school. I remember that when we were studying "To Kill a Mockingbird", a fella (actually, the brother of the once-successful golfer Bret Ogle, named Robert), as he read a passage out 'loud as we took it in turns, one paragraph at a time, stumbled upon the "f" word. He hesitated for fear of getting himself into trouble, then read on. The class burst into laughter (yeah, things were different in those days) due to the novelty of hearing such language in a classroom, but the teacher, of course, pointed out to us that it was all about context. It was then that I learned that the more-sparing one's use of such language, the more gravitas it carried.

These days, I don't go there at all; the unfathomable breadth of options provided by the English (and dare I say, other) language/s mitigates any excuse I can conceive.

I hereby praise the mods for their mature-and-sensible attitude in this regard. For many folks, resorting occasionally to swearing is simply a whole-lot more efficient than, say, consulting a Thesaurus, especially where a point of passion is to be made.

Repeated or just-for-the-heck-of-it use of it, however, should be and is discouraged by the mods and members, as has been evidenced in the past. I for one have stepped in and tried to politely point this out on occasion, and it's been heeded with considerate concession. Not once have I seen someone complain when asked to "dial it back a little". Folks get it... thank God; a sense of what is reasonable, thankfully, reigns supreme in this, our little corner of the MultiVerse (get it? LOL).

Just my 2¢ on the foul-language thing, mate.

My conclusion is that those who are offended by the vulgar language aren't petty and don't complain to the moderators, so vulgar language stays...)

... unless, as I pointed out, it becomes the norm as opposed to the exception...

... and asking difficult questions get banned as those offended by difficult questions are likely to complain to moderators (I trust that Lammert had nothing to do with this though, just others who were offended which is their right)

I don't feel I have sufficient inside info to enable me to endorse this conclusion, Dean.

Who knows? You could be right, but I'd like to think that the mods are no fools and weren't born yesterday, and that it would therefore be difficult to pull the wool over their eyes and trigger a superficial, emotional reaction such as this.

Phew! Man, we musicians. :D

Always the danger, Skoczy; I agree.

That said, I think the general push for this sort of thing will win out in the end, so I wouldn't be the least-bit surprised to find an editor's popping up out of the blue one day.

It would be preferable, IMHO, for it to be integrated into RM via a series of tabs - one for Library (what we have now), one for cabs, one for FX, one for the amp parameters, perhaps one for the tone block (this one could be combined with the amp parameters), and so on.

Lastly, I'd still like to see, as part of the cab menu, the option to choose a default cab that kicks in when one happens upon a direct-amp (no-cab) Profile whilst auditioning Rigs under the "Library" tab.

Hey mate!
    yeah I dialed the treble a little back, but not the presence. And I did not increase the gain. The profile is f*ckin' grainy which is what makes a super vintage rockin' sound. It takes well a slight definition reduction as well. It's a profile I will tweak again and again. You made my day as well mate! Cheers

Ha!

Exactly! I dialled the definition back too.

Normally I'm not a fan of graininess as it usually comes at the expense of having too much scratchiness, but as we've both found, if you dial the treble back it becomes a feast of vintage, grainy "mojoness"!

You made my day again, bro'.

Hey monkey mate, finally loaded the 1959 RR... spent the evening on it. Man that profile is great, vintage and powerful, takes well effects. I played kinda all of my riffs and songs with it just playing with my LP volume. Lots of in the room feel. Mojo!!! Gotta use it pretty often. Cheers mate

Well Halle-freakin'-lujah!

Awesome, pamplemousse. I'm so happy someone else has finally experienced that mojo. I was frankly stunned that tonnes of folks didn't feel the same way.

Curious: Did you find you had to dial the treble back a tad to magically reveal the full extent of mojo whereas it was kinda scratchy before you did this, and did you find the profile super-vintage (in a great way) sounding and also "grainy" in a good way?

IMHO, I've not heard another that exhibits these characteristics in quite the same way. It all adds up to mucho mojo IMHO. Yay! You've made my day mate. Finally someone else felt it too! Woohoo! 8o

So... is it me, or is the key to a really good clean sound a really good reverb setting? Maybe its personal taste or something but I can't have one without the other. Now if I could just dial it in...

Dunno, 'Hookster.

I mean, for funk, you might want it completely dry, for example.

To my mind, the key to a meaningful clean sound, and by that I mean something with character, something non-80s-style, is the existence of warmth in the mids to lower mids. Some woody body in there is, for me at least, what separates the men from the boys.