Posts by Monkey_Man

When you put a force to "metal" piece it will curve not break. Depending on the remaining ingredients of alloy the characteristics change in the field of electric conductivity, plasticity, elasticity, density. I have witnessed many times when these "looked like metal" thingies have been breaking and when you see at the structure closely it is different from piece of metal cut by hacksaw.

Correct, BrotherSkocz, but... that was not the point. Nobody's questioning characteristics.

I was responding to the fact that you said, "The thing is that these little parts are not metal but alloy! That's why they're prone to brake."

This statement implies that alloys are not metals. They're of course metal alloys, so technically you left that critical word "metal" out of the sentence, which would've made it look to someone who didn't know better that "alloy" meant something other than metal. You know, like an obscure type of plastic or something.

I was saying it more for the sake of someone who didn't know; I didn't doubt that you knew, especially because you demonstrated a knowledge of alloys when you said that they're more prone to break (i.e. that they're more brittle).

Indeed there are good sounds in the 1010, Paul and Zappledan.

I ran a JV-2080 for years, and then the XV-5080, which was the granddaddy of the JV range which held 4 SR-JV80 and 4 SRX cards. Thereafter I sold the XV and went with the INTEGRA, which is a brilliant unit that takes that JV sound to the next level of quality and injects Roland's Supernatural instrument and synth modelling into the picture.

As brilliant as it sounds, the ol' Roland Rule™ I spelled out still applies. It's just part of Roland's sound - fat with plenty of welly; you just have to be aware of the need to carve out space EQ-wise where multiple patches are used simultaneously. At small one-man gigs Rolands sound good; there's a distinctive warmth and "GM feel" to the overall sound when they're used to simulate bands. It's not necessarily a bad thing (it's Roland's sound!), but IMHO it's best suited to small venues. That low-mid / low-end fatness would soon present challenges at big gigs. IMHO.

Thanks for the inputs, Nicky. I'm constantly amazed how much you know about gear.

You know, I was amazed by this statement, AJ!

Here's the thing mate: Miraculously, you've asked questions about stuff I've either owned or own.

Today's the most spectacle-titty-stack-you-laugh example of all, 'cause I'm running a TD-30 brain, a bunch of XS racks (planned originally to make them my primary, if not sole synth source for running in real-time and recording in one pass when rendering to my DAW, hence the numbers involved due to their only sporting 4 outputs each), and... an INTEGRA7, with the now-2-year intention to add a second one 'cause you can only load 4 virtual SRX boards at a time, and in order to cater for the EDM side of my future projects as well as the pop / rock / funk stuff, I'd need four of the remaining 8 virtual boards to be loaded.

So, INTEGRA7, MOTIF XS Rack, Roland TD-30... I mean, what gives brah? That's my damned "studio" man! :D

See? I know nothing, really.

I actually was debating something like the Integra, but I find that the whole Cosm approach to tone synthesis never really clicked with me. Even with something like the TD-30, the sounds are not as good as the sounds on a Yammie module due to the fact that one bases its sound off real samples and the other just "models" them. The Roland triggers much more dynamically though, so it does have advantages.

The form factor is amazing on the XS rack though - just a single unit. I really wish this was done with something like the Kemper. The size comes at the cost of being able to do things from the front panel. But the Motif has a VST-like software that works just like a plugin. Kemper could have tried something like that and it would have worked with the crowd here that wants an efitor. Of course, with the toaster, i really don't do much tweaking, so not really necessary imo.

I plan to use it for live work as well as recording, so it is great to hear that the instruments sit well in a mix.

Just FYI, the Rolly's modelling engine used for sounds is the next step beyond COSM; it's called "SuperNatural", and employs samples, but, and there's a lot of spectacular-titty-titilation here, probably in conjunction with scripting that modifies, just in the nick of time, which samples are played according to live MIDI input characteristics such as style (legato or whatever) and speed. This is how the TD-30 works too, but only for the "SuperNatural" kits and sounds, which form a small portion of the overall, legacy soundset inherited from previous models. That's why the TD can reproduce more-realistic snare rolls, for instance (detects the speed of input) as well as cymbal swells (detects speed again). The FX on the INTEGRA7, by the way, may well still be COSM-based as the SuperNatural M.O. obviously has everything to do with sample triggering and nothing to do with DSP.

Also, FYI, you shouldn't need to use the Yamaha editor. The knobs on the front panel provide access to 20 parameters (4 banks of 5 knobs, the selection of which is indicated by an LED), and believe it or not two of those rows of 5 parameters are better-suited to your live-gigging-setup situation than my recording one. The third row is all EQ, and the 4th one Reverb, Chorus, two "assignable" knobs who's destinations will vary according to what they've been programmed to do on a per-patch basis, and Tempo. I'm not going to bother with the editor, and I'll be chasing some serious synth sounds and whatnot... and using only the top 2 rows, half of what you'll be able to take advantage of. These rows cover the most-used synth-control parameters, such as ADSR, cutoff and resonance. The EQ controls won't be necessary for me as I'll obviously want to EQ my DAW, but for your live-setp multisets, they could prove mighty handy. The Chorus and Reverb ones theoretically are tailor-made for your situation too, whereas, again, I don't record with FX - not for any instrument.

All up, as I've said, I'm supremely confident that you'll be absolutely wrapped with the unit.

Cripes! Oh man. LOL

That Plexi you built has some serious mojo 'though, Jesse. Somehow I doubt the JCM800 will be able to compete in that area. There'll be plenty of balls to go around of course; your neighbours will be able to confirm that. I can see it now. You mosey on over to their houses, knock on their doors (preferably in the middle of the night), and ask,

"So tell me groovers, d'ya reckon the JCM800's got big cojones or what, and if so, are they bigger than the Plexi's?"

or, after running the Kemper's earth-shattering profiling process,

"Did you feel that? May I use your 'phone? I'd better call the seismic-monitoring body right away!"

Yeah, he was slappin' the bejeezus out of that kit, AJ. :D

The thing is, you can hook up any e-kit, and the software engine is essentially SSD and the attached MIDI-translation code (if it has MIDI ins too so you can play it from a keyboard or e-kit that provides MIDI outs, like from a Roland drum brain) , along with whatever code was required to drive and provide feedback from the touch-screen. Undoubtedly some sort of lean-and-mean host OS.

So, with that in mind, whatever the dynamic ability of SSD, thus it will be, and that can't be half bad.

Good sentiment, Kulle, but this is a forum (you know how that goes - if someone wants to say something, he will!) and I'm not a mod, so I don't have the power to delete posts. Regardless of what we might say, experience tells me that the thread will grow.

Some will have questions, others will have answers, and many, both. There'll be logistical discussions such as about who's going to host the presets at any given time. Who knows what might crop up? The thing we should remember, IMHO, is that there's no more-appropriate place to discuss the list, the presets and indeed other related issues than here. This is precisely why the first 3 posts will be used for the list, the preset link and relevant information, in that order. Nice and neat. The links in my sig point exactly to the list (1st link) and the DL post (2nd link). You can't get any more precise or neat than that, so for "newcomers", it couldn't be simpler or more accommodating... unless, of course, it was pinned, and that might still happen one day.

Everyone is of course welcome to add the links to his or her sig as well, 'cause unless or until the thread is pinned, those links will make folks aware of it when they're posting around the forum.

Hope this allays your fear, bud; I felt the same way 'til I thought it through and used the first 3 posts this way.

The MOTIF XS Rack is a class act, AJ.

You mentioned that it's a couple o' generations behind. It matters not:

It was the pinnacle of the MOTIF line, and the XF that followed, incorporating some larger multi samples of things like piano with the inclusion of flash RAM (that's where the "F" came from), was not only essentially the same otherwise, but only appeared in keyboard form, so the XS remains the latest MOTIF rack.

Yamaha totally nailed the tone thing. They captured the essence of the acoustic instruments tonally like no other hardware-synth company has before or since IMHO. You might think some of the strings sound a little thin, but it's like with Bert's Profiles; pop 'em in a mix and they'll sound real, sitting perfectly, just as they should.

Roland's ROMPler sounds, OTOH, are impressive in isolation, but don't lend themselves to layering without much frequency sculpting. They're fat, warm, round and tubby in the low mids. The Yammy's instruments are clear, bright and balanced, with the essence, the signature-identifying frequency regions of instruments perfectly-reproduced. This all bodes perfectly-well for you 'cause you'll be using the thing as an entire band. Perfect, man; you won't find any better for this purpose. It'll sound balanced and classy.

Great choice, IMHO. Really, you couldn't have chosen better. Just wait 'til you come to mixing it, if indeed you use it for recording, and you'll see what I mean.

the CAE MC404 by Kulle Wumpenteich is the same that Don

Genius! I'm amazed nobody picked this up yet. =O

Well done, Warlus1, and thank you.

Fixed.

Woohoo! Thank you, Ash. Will replace it now, but it raises the question:

How will warlus1 or whoever updates the presets get them to you so you can replace the file (update the link)?

There's now another link in the production-line chain, no matter how we look at it. LOL

NOTE: Guys, I think discussion about the ins and outs of maintaining the list or preset upload should be conducted in the desiccated-list / preset thread out of respect to Don; this is his thread after all, and it's focussed on the modelling and gathering of wahs. In essence, it'll feed the other thread, where the results will be stored; that was the whole idea behind its creation anyway.

Whaddaya reckon?

... along with the damned ability to click on parent folders and see / audition all the Rigs within!

I keep saying it (even started a thread about it that I received a demerit point for when I revived it 6 months later rather than create a new one for efficiency's sake), but having to jump around sub-folders whilst trying to audition in a particular broad category is impractical and downright annoying!

There. Got that off my chest yet again. I can't for the life of me figure out why this simple-to-implement functionality isn't already present.

The only valid argument I've seen against this is that Rigs in the parent folder that aren't already in folders of their own will be seen along with all the rest when one clicks on said folder. To this I say big deal - create a "miscellaneous" or similarly-named-to-the-parent folder if you must. Surely it'd make sense to pop them into a folder anyway?

I rest my case. If this one as aspect of RM's functionality came to fruition, it'd probably make my year, and I'm not kidding!

Nope. fresh and better is this.

Hate to break it to you, Dan, but RM wouldn't allow me to import it to your folder 'cause it's a Rig you gave us last month:

RZ_KrankR1_F01 2016-05-18 16:54:15

I can even show you the thread where you shared it:

Two Krank REV 1 studio profiles

Your description:

F01 = metal rhythm
    F02 = crunchy lead

Uploaded to rig exchange but if not appearing you can download below.

Enjoy \m/

Head: Krank Rev 1
    Cab: David Laboga Custom 2x12
    Mic: PR20

What can I say? The Monkey's on the ball today... at 5:12AM! :D

I'm thinking maybe it's cause you're so generous that it's tough to keep up with everything you've given us, mate. ;)

Similar here. Mac too. FW 3.1.4.11421 and RM 1.5.16.

Exactly the same issue except that every time I powered up my KPA while RM was running, another duplicate Rig was added to my machine and RM folder. I'd wait 'til it built up to more than a dozen Rigs, then delete them and do the recommended repair procedure. It never worked. Been talking to Burkhard about it for a while. Tried all sorts of combinations of power-up orders and whatnot.

The issue went away yesterday after I conducted a number of experiments. He hasn't been able to reproduce this behaviour using my backup file on PC, so I'm guessing it's a Mac-only issue, and probably not relevant anymore with the latest FW and version of RM. It should be noted that I really don't give two hoots about this as I assume it'll go away when I upgrade to v4 FW once it hits Release status. Here's what I told Burkhard yesterday anyway:

1st attempt:
    Opened RM first. Turned on the KPA. As soon as the KPA had finished booting, the pop-up warning occurred.

After I hit “OK, another Rig was added. There are now 14 Rigs. This is what happened in the past; the number grew every time.
    This time I did see the Rigs in the KPA ‘though, whereas in the past they weren’t visible - at least this is how I remember it.
    I deleted all extra Rigs in RM, leaving only my Default Rig. Powered down KPA first. All folders in RM opened. Closed all folders and quit RM.

2nd attempt:
    Turned KPA on first, then RM. No problems this time and in this order. Powered down KPA first. All folders in RM opened again. Closed all folders and quit RM.

3rd attempt:
    Opened RM first, then turned on KPA. No problems this time and in this order. Quit RM first. Powered down KPA.

4th attempt (to see if quitting RM first in the 3rd attempt made any difference)
    Opened RM first, then turned on KPA. No problems this time and in this order again. Powered down KPA first. All folders in RM opened again. Closed all folders and quit RM.

5th attempt:
    Turned KPA on first, then RM. No problems again. Quit RM first ‘cause I’m sick of closing all those folders! Powered down KPA.

Conclusion:
    After I deleted those extra Rigs in 1st attempt, the problem seems to have been solved for now.

The only thing I did differently, was that I deleted the extras in RM without doing the “push and hold RIG button while powering on” thing. In the past, when I bothered to delete the Rigs, which I usually didn’t do, I’m pretty sure I did the Kemper power-up procedure as well, just for good measure.

I therefore have to conclude, in this case at least, that deleting the Rigs in RM and not doing the power-up Rig check procedure has solved the issue for now. The assumption is logical ‘cause, as I said, in the past when I bothered to delete the extras / duplicates or whatever, and I only did this when the list had grown to more than a dozen or so, I also did the reset ‘cause, after all, that’s what RM told me to do. Strange that the Rig-check procedure seems to have caused the problem to continue, whereas not doing it solved it… it seems.

Introducing Mimic PRO - Powered By Slate - YouTube

Dang.

The blurb:

The world’s most advanced electronic drum module as a dedicated hardware host for Steven Slate Drums.

24-Bit Steven Slate Drums 5
    Multi Channel Samples With Separate Adjustment Of Close, Overhead, and Room Mics
    IPS Touch Screen
    60GB Solid State Drive
    Top Level Burr Brown Converters
    16 TRS dual zone inputs (32 total individual trigger inputs)
    16 Audio output, assignable by instrument (8 on the module/8 from the DB-25 breakout connector)
    Two Completely Separate Mixers For Headphone and Aux Outs - Drummer Gets A Personal Mix With Effects That Does Not Affect Outputs)
    All Inputs Have Cymbal Choke Function
    Supports Triple and Dual Zone Cymbals and Dual Zone Hi-Hat
    Compatible With Most Pads On The Market
    SD Card Slot and USB
    Imports One Shot Samples From Wave and AIFF
    Aux In
    MIDI In and Out

Looks to me like Slate has jumped in and done what the world's been asking Roland and Yamaha et al to do for eons. He who hesitates...