Posts by Monkey_Man

Mistake #1 LOL OK, I'll "translate":

Guess myre brayn mustard bin 180 degrease bout of (the) phage*.

Guess my brain must've been 180 degrees out of phase.

Shows how wrong a simian can be; you can't be further from the mark than 180 degreasers.

Shows how wrong a monkey can be; you can't be more wrong than 180 degrees.

*Ref to Voyager.

Star Trek Voyager.

There was an horrific disease called the Phage, and I "joked" about having a "bout of the Phage". To have a bout of something is to suffer a disease, usually infection or the 'flu or something lille that.

Hope this helps. If it doesn't, it's definitely not your loss; it was way out there after all...

Before I bang on for a bit here, mbenigni, I'd just like you to know that I respect you and enjoy reading your posts. My initial reaction to your response to my post was one of, "well, we seem to agree"... except perhaps on one or two minor "misinterpretations" on your part of what I was saying.

Oh, and I've been extremely ill, too much so to post on any forums, for roughly a week, so please forgive both my apparent demeanour and belated response! I'm not shitty; I don't get angry (never have), but I am stretched time and energy-wise ATM. Thanks man.

Did you just diss "science"?? That's a pretty hazardous place to begin if you're setting out to challenge anyone else's judgement. :P

No, I didn't. The quotation marks simply helped, I thought, to clarify that I was making reference to "general" science, namely fields other than audio. See? I wasn't dissing the word "general" there either. Obviously it's applicable across the board - waves, frequencies, amplitudes, phase, polarity, elecromagnetivity...

First off, it's numbers in either case. Until you hit a DAC at any rate, at which point it's electricity (OK, it's electricity all along...) It's not sound "for us" or for anyone else until you hit a speaker. It's not magic either.

Obviously... and I didn't claim or imply that it was magic.

"Profiling" vs. "modeling" is almost entirely a matter of semantics. In either case, a signal is being subjected to mathematical algorithms in an effort to make it sound different. The main distinction in profiling, as the advent of the KPA defines the term, is that those algorithms are made sufficiently consistent and streamlined that their optimization can be automated. CK's achievement is in having arrived at a system of equations that can universally describe the characteristics of an entire signal path, having observed that path at two points accessible to the end user: input and output. As a result, profiling is fast, and can be repeated by the end user until the results are satisfactory.

Correct. I hope you didn't think I implied otherwise.

If anything, I alluded to the fact that the margin for error is obviously compounded with each additional component model's inclusion. The KPA, for all intents and purposes, avoids this conundrum, and this is one of the fundamental reasons why I was attracted to it.

I agree with viabcroce: a product as feature-rich as the Helix, but with a block that could read KIPR profiles instead of (or in addition to) IR's would be ideal. But wishing won't make it so, so you weigh your priorities and pick a lane.

Christophe would have to share his base-model code or at the very least a chip/s containing it, which would in effect give the game away, you'd think. This is unlikely in the extreme, IMHO.

I am amused and duly reminded that trying to talk about actual technology on a fan forum is basically like tilting at windmills. :D

Just want you to know I deleted a lengthy analysis of this statement, mate. Just as I trusted others wouldn't jump to the wrong conclusions about my use of quotation marks, I'll, once again, trust that you didn't mean this the way it came across. Besides, I wouldn't describe this as a fan forum. Sure, we're all fans, but there's many an electrical / audio engineer and whatnot here, as well as deep-thinking and scientifically-minded individuals who do care and often sweat the details.

Say it anyway - I enjoy reading your posts :)

As do I, mbenigni. Lay it on, brother.

Something that does irk me somewhat - and it's mentioned by Lee Anderton in the first Helix vid - are throwaway comments that the KPA is fine for single static profiles but you can't stray very far from that if you want to edit. There's definitely some quality 'tweakability' there if you want it!

Yes, I too was somewhat miffed at that proclamation. He went to so much trouble to point out that it was a particular amp with particular settings in a particular location on a particular day with a particular mic in a particular position through a particular preamp, that one was left feeling as if the KPA was nothing more than a restriction in a 19" rack format.

I'd have expected much fairer treatment from the crew, and if I were Christophe (and I happened to care), I'd insist the error admission, as well as full disclosure of the KPA's tweakability, be included in the very next Helix video they offer, if indeed they make another.

No fair! No fair!

Don't mean to sound like a fuddy-duddy, but this post was more effort that I'm rightfully able to go to in one hit right now. Too much detail, editing... to much everything! So, I respectfully bow out of the KPA vs Helix wars... at least until I've got bees in my bonnet and beans to spill!

Take care, guys.
    Nicky

Thank you, Dave; I'll inform "Fingers" and see if I can interest him, especially now that you've done all the channels of the JVM...

BTW, he doesn't have a KPA yet, but I'll try anyway. I'll keep the link to your site, so not to worry.

Thank you again, mate. Sounds pretty good in the video.

Nice. I like.

Curious: What's the configuration of the LIII?

Is it an FR? Still sweatin' over the choice between an L and an LIII, and if I were to go LIII, which one it'd be; there seem to be many options and I'll not be able to try before buying...

Again, well done, man.

A TRS (1/4" jack) carries a balanced signal from the Kemper's main outs. So does a mic lead (XLR).

The XLR runs at mic level (low), and the TRS lead at line level (much higher). Both are balanced and practically noise-free.

Which you choose to use depends on the nature of your inputs on the interface. Generally speaking, to avoid having to go through a mic pre even with minimal or no gain added, one would use a TRS lead. At least that way you can be sure there'd be no additional coloration of the signal as it's a straight-to-the-A/D-converter connection with no additional circuitry (i.e. preamp in this case) involved.

The Kemper's output signal is plenty hot enough that you shouldn't need to add additional gain either way.

Have fun, Kevin.

Well done, Steven. Great job.

Let's not forget the guitar break. IMHO, it's got that intangible mojo that fuels the imagination whilst at the same time sees it bury itself in a sort of tonal collage that constitutes the essence of the song; it forces the mind to wander and one (at least I did) feels one must replay it in order to get a true handle on it.

IMHO, there's a knack and skill involved in achieving this effect. Some have it. Most don't. Steven does.

Dang. I thought it was my dashing, clean-cut looks that'd attracted you to me like a fly to a turd...

Guess myre brayn mustard bin 180 degrease bout of (the) phage*. Shows how wrong a simian can be; you can't be further from the mark than 180 degreasers.

*Ref to Voyager.

No, I was happy to just turn the mode off 'cause the FW is the latest non-beta and it's been awesome for me.

The Artist-Mode experiment was only to give the Pure Cab™ feature a listen, and now that I've heard it, I'm satisfied it'll come in handy when the next FW update comes.

No hurry here, Gianfranco.