Posts by Monkey_Man

Thanks for sharing that, Strabes.

I'm curious:
    Are you able and willing to make some clips for us to listen to of these great tones?
    Is the latency on this thing as low as the Kemper's (undetectable even for latency-sensitive folks like lil' ol' me)?
    How cheap is it, and is it easy to get a deal due to, say, a decent margin on 'em?

You've got me wondering about using one in the living room for practice...

I was disappointed by his performance. I found it somewhat disjointed, and his phrasing and timing left a little to be desired.

I s'pose it came across as being "awkward". Just MHO of course.

EDIT: I'm referring to the White House performance.

I understand very well how you might feel, Dan.

I received one only today for doing something I didn't realise was wrong. I find it quite devastating when I try so hard in life to always do the right thing only to find that in some way I've crossed a line I din't know existed, or in your case, one I did my best to ensure I didn't cross.

Who knows, mate, it could be a misunderstanding. Are you counting the spaces between words when you tally the characters up? This could account for the discrepancy. I doubt it was a one-off miscount 'cause it's happened a number of times...

Bumping this 'cause I'm still hanging out for my original requests, which I felt were extremely reasonable and simple to implement.

You may have noticed that I withdrew from the discussion when the focus became ever-more complicated. I feel that the original requests were logical and, you'd think, would require very little tweaking in order to bring to fruition.

Please forgive me for bumping; I figured it'd be more efficient than creating a new thread, especially as several of this nature have already appeared over the years.

Brilliant! That's exactly... the only reason I could think of that I'd use it, Sam.

My confusion arose because, as I said, folks seemed to be splashin' (spraying?) tags around like confetti. Well, not quite, but I s'pose I could well have missed the poignance of the references due to lack of insider info, so to speak. Thank you for clarifying that, Sammy!

Now, MentaL... I hope you realise that those holes in my tag were caused by flyin' poop; 'tis the simian way to desecrate property... and anything else deemed poo-worthy. Just sayin'. No idea how you found that pic; you must have a contact in Jungleville or indeed have visited at some point. Pity the snapshot was taken after the damage was done.

Hang on... the tag was fine before you took the snapshot - we know that. Therefore, it must've been you who throo the poo and thought you'd have a laugh by showing it to your friends and posting it all over the cast-a-nets, right? Naughty MentaL! Naughty boy! :D

The song at 27min isn't bad; the singing and all the solos are good.

The Chick Corea song after that's not bad either, but isn't as accessible melodically to non-jazzers.

Dave Brubeck's "Take 5", is an absolute classic. Fascinating to hear Al Jarreau singing it at 37 min. This is the song I noticed Lee Ritenour in. I've only needle-dropped the vid, so I've probably missed a lot too. Turns out he only got 8 bars, but hey, he's good and sounded great.

Oh, and there's John MacGlaughlin at 58min if you're interested. Again, not overly-accessible, but very good for what it is.

There's some cool '70s-style funky-guitar chugging at 1hr 12min in Prince's 1999, but then Herbie goes and steals any thunder the guitarist might've had to offer with his Korg Kronos guitar solo. LOL

Having said all that, there's a bunch of stuff on there that's so ridiculously-boring and stiff I'd consider it torture to be forced to listen to it. Just MHO of course; each has his own taste.

Also, it seems I just got "lucky" with the needle dropping when I heard Lee Ritenour earlier, I may be wrong, but it seems he only got 8 bars in the entire night, which IMHO is a tragedy! I mean, they could've sent Sting to South America to monitor the effect he's had on deforestation, but nooooo, they had to have him sing a style he's really not suited to, didn't they? Roxanne? Yes. This? No. At least Marcus Miller was on the bass for it.

I could go on, but I just wanted to let you know that I totally get where your impression may have come from, ITTO. Often I find, as you'd have too no doubt, that patience and the determination to dig deep for gems are keys to exposing oneself to new stuff.

EDIT: Just finished documenting this stuff for you, ITTO, and so missed your post. Sorry mate. I was going to mention Buddy too, but felt that might've been a little unfair - I mean, the dude's really getting on now...

Damn, center stage, all lit up and ready to go.

But wasted on that.......uh....music? <X

You did listen to Lee Ritenour's work in the vid before coming to that conclusion, I take it ITTO?

Now, that's serious.

Agreed, Brother Skocz. Lots of dudes in dark glasses with ear pieces standing around trying to look inconspicuous, but we all know what they were there for:

To protect The Kemper and the Muse profiles it contained! :D

LOL yeah Zapster. :D

I feel like we'd be creating all sorts of unnecessary cross-dressin'... I mean, cross-referencin' mayhem within the bowels of the forum. Not that there's such a thing as necessary cross-referencin' mayhem, but you know what I mean...

I'm gonna hold off on doing it for now... at least 'till I fully understand the reasoning behind and implications of it.

LOL yeah. The Presidential Profiler™. :D

So many of my past faves are in this video - Marcus, Al, Herbie and so on. Gonna watch it late one night and give it the time and attention it deserves.

Thank you so much for sharing it, Morph.

Fail, Kemper! Fail! Fail! Fail! Just not "real" enough.

Need Opus Maximus Quanticus™ FW update...

Just havin' a bit o' fun Stephane; it's an old joke around here.

I actually understand where you're coming from. I used to play in those sorts of venues quite a bit back in the day. I do think that you should be able to achieve the "impact" you're after with a favourite cab and power amp. You could hire the amp, and if you like the effect then you could upgrade your Kemper with a built-in one (600w). Failing that, I'm surprised you haven't found that simply turning Pure Cab™ up past, say, a setting of 3 or so, helped reduce that "mic'd-up" sound.

Whatever you do, good luck mate.

Oh man, it gets ever-more convolu-titty-cated... no wonder I give up and start again every so many years.

Assuming I could save the money over several years (am patient), wouldn't a Rolly kit sans brain be the simplest, best-integrated, most-accurate-triggering, best-looking and quietest option out there, or have I completely missed the boat?

Thanks again, nightlight.

Cripes, you're the man, nightlight!

Thanks mate. I'll keep what you've said for reference when the day eventually comes that I can afford something... after Slate VMS, the completion of my MOTU AVB lay-buy, a vocal booth and finally some plugs...

EDIT:
    Just on the cymbal thing: Wouldn't I want to be able to take advantage of the zones Roland employs, or don't drum VIs generally use them? I'd have thought that at the very least, bell and edge ones would have been uber-important. I'm guessing that adapted-acoustic cymbals wouldn't be able to use zones, and that the easiest route for this would be the Rolly or Yamaha one, unless, as you suggested, another brand like Pintech is an option.

I'm already feeling the same merry-go-'round sensation I got the last couple of times I did the research. Whenever I encountered limitations, be they noise, zones, rim triggering, durability, compatibility or whatever, I found myself understanding better why the Rolly gear costs so much.